Article Critical of Southwest Airlines

wnbubbleboy

Veteran
Aug 21, 2002
By God Indiana
Am I the only one who thinks everything about Southwest Airlines is absolutely ridiculous? I mean, the whole process -- from the kooky khaki shorts worn by the flight attendants to their penchant for stand-up comedy during in-flight safety instructions -- just makes me want yank out my paper barf bag.

I was reminded of this during a recent Fourth of July trip to Florida. Making my way to the terminal and settling in, I read about one page of my book before being interrupted by the booming voice of a Southwest agent who looked not unlike the Bounty paper towel man (but unfortunately stuffed into the aforementioned shorts), cracking jokes with customers. Well, he thought they were jokes. The woman was elderly and in a wheelchair; he was transporting her into the "Preboarding" aisle. Once settled, he looked at her, smiled and said -- loudly -- "OK, now, you don't go anywhere, you hear?"

My jaw literally dropped open as I swung my head around to see if anyone else was equally horrified. Only they were too busy gathering their belongings and preparing to camp out in the "A," "B," and "C" aisles because, as we all know, Southwest has No! Assigned! Seating!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/leslie-goldm...re_b_55508.html

Am I the only one who thinks everything about Southwest Airlines is absolutely ridiculous? I mean, the whole process -- from the kooky khaki shorts worn by the flight attendants to their penchant for stand-up comedy during in-flight safety instructions -- just makes me want yank out my paper barf bag.

I was reminded of this during a recent Fourth of July trip to Florida. Making my way to the terminal and settling in, I read about one page of my book before being interrupted by the booming voice of a Southwest agent who looked not unlike the Bounty paper towel man (but unfortunately stuffed into the aforementioned shorts), cracking jokes with customers. Well, he thought they were jokes. The woman was elderly and in a wheelchair; he was transporting her into the "Preboarding" aisle. Once settled, he looked at her, smiled and said -- loudly -- "OK, now, you don't go anywhere, you hear?"

My jaw literally dropped open as I swung my head around to see if anyone else was equally horrified. Only they were too busy gathering their belongings and preparing to camp out in the "A," "B," and "C" aisles because, as we all know, Southwest has No! Assigned! Seating!

Yeah- Did you see the cows on southwest also? It's like a trailer park when you fly Southwest.

both the reporter and you are griping about nothing!!! If you don't like WN's brand fly somewhere else! :angry:

Are you kidding me? SW has the best safety record, and personally I have always thought I would have been much nicer if I could have worn tennis shoes instead of pointy little heels. (ok, I always broke that rule but I did wear flats) ITS TRANSPORTATION, not someone's private jet. People need to get a life. Flying isn't fun at best and if the SW f/as can still manage the smile and have a little fun at work, so be it. They seem to have been pretty successful so why mess with a good rhing?

I will NEVER be the guy trying to convince someone that Southwest is for everyone. Plane and simple, it's not.

We have a good product, lots of flights, some amenities that other airlines charge for, pretty good at being on time and the ability to not be assigned next to someone who snores and drools (NOT pointing fingers.... :blink: )

We have no assigned seating, we don't go everywhere, we have no international service (insert appropriate joke here), we don't sell stuff beyond alcohol, and are either all, or have no, first class.

No one asked that we be universally loved. Just by the people that understand the mission. :D

IMHO

No one asked that we be universally loved. Just by the people that understand the mission.
Since WN's on the verge of consistently being the world's biggest carrier based on enplaned passengers, I'd say you're doing a pretty good job of pleasing most of the people most of the time.

Congrats on achieving that milestone.

Jim

I will NEVER be the guy trying to convince someone that Southwest is for everyone. Plane and simple, it's not.

We have a good product, lots of flights, some amenities that other airlines charge for, pretty good at being on time and the ability to not be assigned next to someone who snores and drools (NOT pointing fingers.... :blink: )

We have no assigned seating, we don't go everywhere, we have no international service (insert appropriate joke here), we don't sell stuff beyond alcohol, and are either all, or have no, first class.

No one asked that we be universally loved. Just by the people that understand the mission. :D

IMHO

I actually have to agree with you. Huffingtons criticism is akin to saying a Ford Taurus or Toyota Camry isn't as comfy as a Bentley. Really? What's your point? Which models sell more? People "rent" an airline seat. And people rent Camry's and Taurus'.

But you didn't hesitate one second when you bought that SWA ticket for $109 from BWI down to Florida, did you? Yeah, I didn't think so.

If you don't like our product, you are more than welcome to fly with someone else. In fact, we encourage you to do so because, quite frankly, we don't need you, your business or your attitude on our flights. We provide a service and it's not up to you to dictate how we do it. PERIOD!

Just because you have no sense of humor doesn't mean the rest of us must suffer through your rants and raves for a 2 hour flight. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE go fly someone else. You won't miss us and we certainly won't miss you.

Since WN's on the verge of consistently being the world's biggest carrier based on enplaned passengers, I'd say you're doing a pretty good job of pleasing most of the people most of the time.

Congrats on achieving that milestone.

Jim

I'd like to second Jim's post. Southwest has a great product plain and simple. Snooty folks won't be happy unless they are in a snooty atmosphere, and SWA doesn't create that for them....oh well, I think SWA will get over it ;)

THE PROBLEM HERE IS SIMPLE.

Southwest is:

1. a BUSINESS, and by its very definition, it's goal is to MAKE MONEY.
2. Southwest is good at what they do.

This pisses off liberals like Ariana.

I am not surprised the Huffing And Puffington Post attacked WN.

THE PROBLEM HERE IS SIMPLE.

Southwest is:

1. a BUSINESS, and by its very definition, it's goal is to MAKE MONEY.
2. Southwest is good at what they do.

This pisses off liberals like Ariana.

I am not surprised the Huffing And Puffington Post attacked WN.

I'm left of Ralph Nader and being a liberal has nothing to do with Huffingtons post. That falls under "even God can't argue with ignorance".

SW has its own very successful market plan. Some get it, others never will.

Meeesssus Aahhdeeeaaahnna Huuuuuufingtoooowwn over the Huffing And Puffington Post is known for being critical of any successful business. She's still getting over her husband and is letting out her frustration on other successful businesses. (Remember, her husband made millions, was a GOP leader in CA and then came out of the closet. They divorced and she decided to become a liberal).

Why anyone would even bother to react to a criticism of SWA is beyond me. As long as SWA continues to do what it does best--transport passengers from Point A to Point B at a price the passengers consider fair AND make money doing it--other people's opinion of you is a "don't care" issue.

Reminds me of when I was growing up in the 50's and 60's, and U.S. adults got their knickers all in a twist over the anti-U.S. statements of Charles De Gaulle--the leader of the singularly most unsuccessful army of the 20th century.

Most of the criticism of SWA can be stored in the category called JEALOUSY.