ATL rolls out campaign to get people to refer to it by (full) name.

Kev3188

Veteran
Oct 5, 2003
Right in the middle.
Reactions: 3 people
Meh.

I agree with the blogger's comment in the article. What a waste of time and money from the city. Atlanta has bigger issues to tackle than this. How about a plan to rid itself of the ridiculous traffic gridlock for a start.

Having lived there for 10 years some time ago, and now having to frequently go there on business, this city has declined in so many ways.

Reactions: 1 person
It's funny when individuals get all bent out of shape when someone refers to their favorite airline by an old or abbreviated name (eg, the special people who think it's a sin to refer to US Airways as USAir), but it's just sad when an organization like airport management does the same thing. Hell, there are special people on this forum who have racked up a lot of posts by "correcting" people who are dissing their favorite airline. Especially USAir.

The public will use whatever name they prefer when referring to public buildings or airports. Most people use "JFK" or "LAX" but EWR is typically referred to as "Newark," not by its code. Same thing in Chicago, where nobody has ever said in conversation "I'm flying out of ORD," they say "I'm flying from O'Hare." Exactly the same if they're flying Southwest from Midway - it's "Midway," not "MDW."

I agree with Glenn - doesn't Atlanta have some real problems that need solving?

In Atlanta, with only one airport, most people should just say "I'm going to the airport," since there's no possible confusion about whhich airport they're talking about.

Hey, maybe the city of Atlanta--despite instructions from DL and WT--is going ahead with a plan to build a 2nd airport, and they want to head off any misunderstanding as to which airport is which--like Bush and Hobby airports in Houston or Love and DFW in the DFW-Metroplex.  Or...LAX and Ontario and Long Beach and Burbank and Orange Country and Bugtussle and...and...and.  :lol:

Kev3188 said:
The Atlanta airport, or rather the Atlanta Hartsfield-Jackson Airport is investing in a campaign to get people to use it's entire name.

Does anyone even call it "Hartsfield?" I get the logic, but in today's day/age I have to think pushing something like  "#ATL" might be an easier sell...

http://www.myajc.com/news/news/local/atlanta-doubles-down-on-its-hyphenated-airport/nmZzj/?icmp=AJC_061115_AJCtoMyAJC_airportname#e549a587.3977676.735760

nah. Its the airport. That is life when you only have one airport that really matters. 

the city of Atlanta also pissing money away is fairly normal. (not to sound raciest) its is really normal if they think it will make the African- American population happy because they need to votes to keep the state from going to a super majority.

of course most African Americans share the views of the white people in the city, stop wasting time/money on stupid and fix the roads and schools and neighborhoods. .gov at work my friends.  
Glenn Quagmire said:
Meh.

I agree with the blogger's comment in the article. What a waste of time and money from the city. Atlanta has bigger issues to tackle than this. How about a plan to rid itself of the ridiculous traffic gridlock for a start.

Having lived there for 10 years some time ago, and now having to frequently go there on business, this city has declined in so many ways.
no no. 
your wrong Glenn. Atlanta is perfect.... that is why all they need to do is spend billions on correcting people on the airport name or a new, unneeded, stadium.

*sigh* welcome to Atlanta. the city pot holes, crap education, mostly ghettos and traffic..... all that is great. Calling the airport anything other than the name that is to long and should just be heartsfield to begin with.... THAT needs to be fixed.   

FWAAA said:
It's funny when individuals get all bent out of shape when someone refers to their favorite airline by an old or abbreviated name (eg, the special people who think it's a sin to refer to US Airways as USAir), but it's just sad when an organization like airport management does the same thing. Hell, there are special people on this forum who have racked up a lot of posts by "correcting" people who are dissing their favorite airline. Especially USAir.

The public will use whatever name they prefer when referring to public buildings or airports. Most people use "JFK" or "LAX" but EWR is typically referred to as "Newark," not by its code. Same thing in Chicago, where nobody has ever said in conversation "I'm flying out of ORD," they say "I'm flying from O'Hare." Exactly the same if they're flying Southwest from Midway - it's "Midway," not "MDW."

I agree with Glenn - doesn't Atlanta have some real problems that need solving?

In Atlanta, with only one airport, most people should just say "I'm going to the airport," since there's no possible confusion about whhich airport they're talking about.
that is exactly what we say. ATL is the airport. 

Its places like PDK or Dobbins that get called something else.