Avionocs And Systems Mechanics

Decision 2004

Veteran
Mar 12, 2004
This another example of how the aviation industry has changed due to technology while the mechanic is neither recognized or compensated for the increased responsibility and liability.

Pilot nods off during flight, now faces probe

Japanese official woke up All Nippon pilot after several minutesThe Associated Press
Updated: 11:08 a.m. ET April 30, 2004TOKYO - A Japanese airline pilot nodded off twice while at the controls of a domestic flight last month — in front of a transport official who happened to be on board for a routine inspection.

The 50-year-old All Nippon Airlines pilot has been grounded pending an internal probe ordered by industry regulators, company spokesman Kunio Shibata said Friday.

Shibata said the 80 passengers on the flight from Tokyo to the southwestern city of Ube were never in danger because the Boeing 767-300 was flying on autopilot at the time of the March 23 incident.

He called it “extremely regrettableâ€￾ and said Japan’s second-largest airline was redoubling efforts to ensure safety.

According to the airline, the pilot started to doze off after the aircraft had reached its cruising altitude and the autopilot had been engaged. He roused after an official from the Transport Ministry on board for a routine inspection noticed and tapped the co-pilot on the shoulder.

The pilot, whose name has not been released, nodded off again a few minutes later, prompting the co-pilot to yell at him.

The airline is conducting an investigation into the incident ordered by the ministry to determine whether the pilot was negligent or is suffering from a sleeping disorder, Shibata said.

Special Jeers to the Industrial Unions for Failing the Mechanics as Technology Advances and places their importance and liability on a higher level without the rewards of proper compensation and recognition.

I thought a while back they were recommended that pilots take a nap on long flights. Better to have him nap on A/P with TCAS engaged than have an exhausted pilot flying in congested airspace while descending to land.

Hell AW&ST had a story a while back about unmanned flights, saying that with the high cost of pilots we may see more pilotless aircraft. While I dont see passengers getting on them it should be good for frieghters. Dont worry, nothing can go wrng, go wron, go ong, go wro, er ah beeeeeeeeeeeeep--------------.

Yes i cannot believe the credit was not made where it is due, he should of been awake in case he had to watch someone weld his wing tip in a shop behind a curtain. like you have a clue about what a line mechanic has to do! Talk big ! no idea! ever been there? Tell us about the experience you have at the gate?

skydrol said:
Yes i cannot believe the credit was not made where it is due, he should of been awake in case he had to watch someone weld his wing tip in a shop behind a curtain. like you have a clue about what a line mechanic has to do! Talk big ! no idea! ever been there? Tell us about the experience you have at the gate?
Just because I am not a line or hangar mechanic doesn't mean I cannot support, assist, and defend their job and profession.

That is the big difference between a real union and a company union.

One day, it won't be every man for himself like you advocate. It will actually be everyone together.

I find it very interesting that the past TWU leadership negotiated language that classified welders, machinist, platers, plasma techs, as MECHANICS. But today's TWU supporter continously comes to this bulletin board and in public ridicules and downgrades that skill as if it is meanlingless in today's world of aircraft maintenance. And you guys say AMFA wont represent these workers?

I seldom hear the AMFA supporting line mechanic talking down about these skills. Only TWU supporters best I can tell.

I will go by what you actually say and do, rather than accept the smoke you blow.

Our overhaul base is being audited by the FAA next week. Do you think they will just by-pass the welders and machinist as unimportant to aircraft maintenance and safety? That has not been my experience.

Decision 2004 said:
Just because I am not a line or hangar mechanic doesn't mean I cannot support, assist, and defend their job and profession.

That is the big difference between a real union and a company union.

One day, it won't be every man for himself like you advocate. It will actually be everyone together.

I find it very interesting that the past TWU leadership negotiated language that classified welders, machinist, platers, plasma techs, as MECHANICS. But today's TWU supporter continously comes to this bulletin board and in public ridicules and downgrades that skill as if it is meanlingless in today's world of aircraft maintenance. And you guys say AMFA wont represent these workers?

I seldom hear the AMFA supporting line mechanic talking down about these skills. Only TWU supporters best I can tell.

I will go by what you actually say and do, rather than accept the smoke you blow.

Our overhaul base is being audited by the FAA next week. Do you think they will just by-pass the welders and machinist as unimportant to aircraft maintenance and safety? That has not been my experience.
Dave the reason I don't think much of your "support" for my FAA license is that you can load a welding rig on the pickup and go make a living doing what you do at AA, welding. Most of the licensed amts will have a hard time replacing their paycheck with a similar, in the same line of work.

So your rocking the boat is a win-win for you. AMFA puts pressure on the TWU to improve your position, or AMFA gets in and at worst you will be an official in that organization, and regrettably you seem to have too much seniority to have to look forward to a full paycheck when, or if, re-called. Which is the brand of "sacrifizing for the profession" that your Pied Piper sold to the NWA amts when they should have simply send the negotiation committee back in rather than throwing the baby out twith the bath water.

As for the line amts not making remarks about the skills of the people in Tulsa, (funny they never denigrate the AFW crowd), go back and research the postings that have been made over the last six years.

Without anyone knowing me, I have admitted to being in QA, I have been called scared, implied that I was unskilled, assumed to be fleet service, etc. It has been implied that I was either TWU or AA management, again implying that I am ignorant. You need to read more of the postings from your claque, as well as reading between the lines.

j7915,

Funny thing about that statement. As we phone bank the people that have been placed on the so-called AA eligibility list, we find many AMT's working other jobs or other carriers doing just fine. In fact, I think if you lost your job at AA, you would stand a better than average chance of getting a pay increase since AA has lower pay than most. In fact, auto-mechanics are making considerably more than you. If you are dead set on staying in Tulsa, then maybe you are correct, but many are either not working in Tulsa or not afraid to leave. Maybe that is the number one difference in thinking. But don't blame everyone else or allow your profession to be destroyed just because you want to live in Tulsa. You should be a steward of the profession and your license, not a steward of what has become a not so special anymore job in Tulsa.

As for you being subjected to name calling, maybe you should try not hiding behind an alias.

And then maybe someone will treat you with the the respect you feel that you deserve.

The alias does two things, hides your personal identity, unless you are me of course, and then everyone still seems to think they know who I am, and that hidden identity of yours also makes it easy to personally attack you without being accused of being wrong. If nodoby knows who you are, then nobody can vouch for your character.

Thus, I would not put much credibility either way, plus or minus, on words that are used on this or any internet bulletin board full of alias using users. This is nothing more than an all out air-it-out opinion forum with zero accountablility.

skydrol said:
I've been doing line maint for 24 years.

j7915 said:
Dave the reason I don't think much of your "support" for my FAA license is that you can load a welding rig on the pickup and go make a living doing what you do at AA, welding. Most of the licensed amts will have a hard time replacing their paycheck with a similar, in the same line of work.

So your rocking the boat is a win-win for you. AMFA puts pressure on the TWU to improve your position, or AMFA gets in and at worst you will be an official in that organization, and regrettably you seem to have too much seniority to have to look forward to a full paycheck when, or if, re-called. Which is the brand of "sacrifizing for the profession" that your Pied Piper sold to the NWA amts when they should have simply send the negotiation committee back in rather than throwing the baby out twith the bath water.

As for the line amts not making remarks about the skills of the people in Tulsa, (funny they never denigrate the AFW crowd), go back and research the postings that have been made over the last six years.

Without anyone knowing me, I have admitted to being in QA, I have been called scared, implied that I was unskilled, assumed to be fleet service, etc. It has been implied that I was either TWU or AA management, again implying that I am ignorant. You need to read more of the postings from your claque, as well as reading between the lines.
And what do you think of the TWUs support for your FAA liscence as they transfer work away from us?

Latest posts

Back