AWA ALPA Press Release

prechilill

Veteran
Nov 28, 2002
:up:

June 28, 2007

PHOENIX—The following statement is from the union leaders of the America West unit of the Air Line Pilots Association, Int'l. (ALPA).

In a desperate move, the pilots of US Airways are attempting to overturn an arbitrated seniority award by suing their own union. All 60,000 pilots represented by the Air Line Pilots Association will now be forced to use their union dollars to defend this complaint brought by the disgruntled pilots at US Airways.

Over the past two years, the America West and US Airways pilot groups have strictly adhered to ALPA Merger Policy to determine a new combined seniority list, as a result of the merger of the two airlines. This process included negotiations, mediation and arbitration. The failure of both sides to negotiate a settlement resulted in an arbitrated award that is final and binding.

While the "east" pilots characterized the award as "wholesale destruction," no US Airways pilot lost their position, base or pay. Instead, the award slotted 517 US Airways pilots at the top of the new seniority list, protected their desired international flying and assured them access to all growth at the airline. Despite the fact that on the eve of the merger, the pilots of US Airways were in their second bankruptcy, had more than 1,500 pilots on furlough and were facing liquidation, they believe that they are entitled to a new seniority list that would place their pilots, even those that were laid off at the time of the merger, above all their peers at America West.

The US Airways pilots erroneously pride themselves on having more experience than their counterparts at America West without any regard for the diverse military, airline and corporate backgrounds of all America West pilots. This arrogant approach to seniority is an inaccurate representation of the professionalism and experience of thousands of pilots represented by ALPA. Additionally, this lawsuit is a giant step backwards for all US Airways pilots both "east" and "west." Instead of focusing their resources on contract negotiations with management to obtain better pay, work rules and retirement for their pilots, the leadership of the US Airways "east" pilots is spending limited resources to overturn an arbitrated award.

In the meantime, US Airways management continues to cash in on millions of dollars in savings by keeping their pilots on one of the lowest pay scales in the industry. All pilots of the new US Airways deserve better and it is unfortunate the pilot union leaders on the "east" prefer litigation rather than abiding by their own union policies already established governing seniority integration.

The America West unit of ALPA is based in Phoenix and represents over 1800 pilots. America West unit of the Air Line Pilots Association, Int'l.

USA320Pilot is going to be mad you posted this instead of him...

As for the real subject matter of this thread, this is the kind of response I personally anticipated. However, I'm not sure I would have issued a press release to say it. I think that an Answer filed to the Complaint and perhaps some communication to ALPA regarding the situation would have been sufficient.

I also would not personally be surprised if the AWA MEC requests financial and/or moral support from ALPA since their current position is a result of having fully complied with all the provisions of the ALPA Merger Policy and ALPA needs to defend their merger policy.

USA320Pilot is going to be mad you posted this instead of him...

As for the real subject matter of this thread, this is the kind of response I personally anticipated. However, I'm not sure I would have issued a press release to say it. I think that an Answer filed to the Complaint and perhaps some communication to ALPA regarding the situation would have been sufficient.

I also would not personally be surprised if the AWA MEC requests financial and/or moral support from ALPA since their current position is a result of having fully complied with all the provisions of the ALPA Merger Policy and ALPA needs to defend their merger policy.

You make some very good points, F/A. The east is certainly a strange bunch and their little forray into the legal world certainly will not go anywhere. But I do think their filing will give them some much-needed therapy in understanding the reality of what their negotiating committee did to them. In the end, they need to hear from everyone (save the Man upstairs) the arbitration followed procedure, policy and was fair to all (except the top AWA pilots).

June 28, 2007

PHOENIX—The following statement is from myself .

Despite the fact that on the eve of the merger, the pilots of America West were also facing their second bankruptcy, had more than 600 pilots scheduled to be furloughed and were unable to arrange DIP financing thereby also facing liquidation, they believe that they are entitled to a new seniority list that would place their pilots who were 9 years old 800 numbers senior to US Air pilots who were actively flying the line on the same day.

You make some very good points, F/A. The east is certainly a strange bunch and their little forray into the legal world certainly will not go anywhere. But I do think their filing will give them some much-needed therapy in understanding the reality of what their negotiating committee did to them. In the end, they need to hear from everyone (save the Man upstairs) the arbitration followed procedure, policy and was fair to all (except the top AWA pilots).

You are correct - it may go nowhere but burn to the ground - which can happen VERY quickly, and I assure you top management is VERY VERY nervous about this situation as it puts them in a hard spot as well.. Which - who cares they have been doing a horrible job in the first place.. My question is this - IF AWA pilots were treated so unfairly - then why will they not negotiate more? The answer is this - b/c the arbitration award gives them a huge unfair advantage, and it was not fair or following the merger policy, otherwise I assure you the pilots on the west would want to negotiate... in any case I don't see a pretty outcome and this will cause much hatred and employee strife for years to come... no matter what the AWA pilots think - that will hurt them more than they know.. Don't bite the hand that feeds you!!!

My question is this - IF AWA pilots were treated so unfairly - then why will they not negotiate more? The answer is this - b/c the arbitration award gives them a huge unfair advantage, and it was not fair or following the merger policy, otherwise I assure you the pilots on the west would want to negotiate... in any case I don't see a pretty outcome and this will cause much hatred and employee strife for years to come... no matter what the AWA pilots think - that will hurt them more than they know.. Don't bite the hand that feeds you!!!
The east doesn't want to negotiate. For two years the west patiently tried to work with them and unfortunately our counterparts in the east were set on a DOH integration. Since the east forced the issue into arbitration, there is nothing to negotiate at this point. The decision is final. If the east pilots are disappointed with how the pilot neutrals and Nicolau determined what was fair, then they can take early retirement and leave the company. We on the west are all about fairness and especially concerned about upholding ALPA policy and honoring the law. Unfortunately the east (and I don't mean any offense to your husband) has the collective maturity of Paris Hilton.

The east doesn't want to negotiate. For two years the west patiently tried to work with them and unfortunately our counterparts in the east were set on a DOH integration. Since the east forced the issue into arbitration, there is nothing to negotiate at this point. The decision is final. If the east pilots are disappointed with how the pilot neutrals and Nicolau determined what was fair, then they can take early retirement and leave the company. We on the west are all about fairness and especially concerned about upholding ALPA policy and honoring the law. Unfortunately the east has the collective maturity of Paris Hilton.

And the leadership culture not far from that of Hamas.

The East has never had a problem giving up the mother ship. I am so happy that they finally took a stand---its about time. They the East have given so much of themselves and irregardless if the West likes it or not they have been in the saddle a whole lot longer. The Company has not bargained in good faith if it takes the dismanteling of USAirways let it be.You can not run over our history and the sacrifices these men have made.After reading the award I do not agree with the arbitratior.

The east doesn't want to negotiate. For two years the west patiently tried to work with them and unfortunately our counterparts in the east were set on a DOH integration. Since the east forced the issue into arbitration, there is nothing to negotiate at this point. The decision is final. If the east pilots are disappointed with how the pilot neutrals and Nicolau determined what was fair, then they can take early retirement and leave the company. We on the west are all about fairness and especially concerned about upholding ALPA policy and honoring the law. Unfortunately the east (and I don't mean any offense to your husband) has the collective maturity of Paris Hilton.

My husband is not a pilot and doesn't work for US.. Don't you know that Paris always gets her way...

The classic answer to the egregious award is found in the old merger adage: "if both sides are pissed, then it was a successful arbitration."

That has not happened with regard to the Nicolau Award. Even P0001 or his contemporaries have been silent. Why?
Senum 518 "buys" you a widebody Captain job in PHL if you want it.

No one really has any idea where this may all sort out, if it ever does. It is a shame that this process has gone to "extra innings" and will cause financial and professional sacrifices until resolution.

It will be interesting to see if ALPA Merger Policy undergoes another major revision at the next BOD meeting later this year. At least they will be able to define "windfall" and how one is created.

I think East would be so much happier to just have ALPA recognize the time AAA pilots spent at MidTitanic... is that too much to ask for?

I mean, although the planes said "USAirways Express" on the side of them, as an airport supervisor who worked these flights, I can assure you, there was NOTHING express about them.

Their call sign was "USAir 16..", all paperwork said USAirways, etc.

The classic answer to the egregious award is found in the old merger adage: "if both sides are pissed, then it was a successful arbitration."

That has not happened with regard to the Nicolau Award. Even P0001 or his contemporaries have been silent. Why?
Senum 518 "buys" you a widebody Captain job in PHL if you want it.

Perhaps West members had more realistic expectations then straight DOH or "longevity".

First of all Ms Fairness and wealth of knowledge you think Paris gets what she wants? She would be your role model and Hell NO our pilots will not leave with what retirement because they do not have one

You who are so concerned with upholding the rights of your pilots . They are are Lucky to have a job as we are. Your pilots will never hold a captain seat next to a pilot 20 years senior to him.

June 28, 2007

PHOENIX—The following statement is from myself .

Despite the fact that on the eve of the merger, the pilots of America West were also facing their second bankruptcy, had more than 600 pilots scheduled to be furloughed and were unable to arrange DIP financing thereby also facing liquidation, they believe that they are entitled to a new seniority list that would place their pilots who were 9 years old 800 numbers senior to US Air pilots who were actively flying the line on the same day.

Statement from Myself.

AAA was days from chapter 7 and they should be happy to have a Job stapled to the AWA list.