Banff Or Whistler For Conference

Where To Hold The Conference

• Whistler

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Banff

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Ned, excellent reply, thank you for the clarification.
The concept and agenda sound very good.
With this information, I think Banff would be quite successful.
As an alternative to the Banff Springs Hotel, there might be a hotel closer to the town center that could host 350 people as a meeting headquarters, and at a better price. I'm sure that would also allow for cheaper motels within walking distance of the HQ for those of us on a tight budget.
I haven't been there for years, so any of you guys living in Banff/Canmore have any suggestions ??

By the way, 350 people isn't much. I'm sure Canadians and North-western US delegates could fill that pretty easily.
Have you considered having these small conferences in different parts of the world focusing on regional activities??
The one in Banff could focus on mountain flying, long-lining, forest fire fighting,...... but not offshore oil-rig stuff etc..
Then one in Australia/Southeast Asia could deal with bush fire fighting (apparently there is a difference), offshore oil-rigs, mustering etc.
An American conference could cover ENG, EMS, NVG, Police work etc.
Naturally there would be some common topics and speakers at each event.
.....or am I getting ahead of things too soon ??

Good luck with this.

Over-Talk,

I am planning on visiting both locations on the way back from Geneva to see which location works the best. If anyone has any ideas on hotels or meeting facilities in both places then please post them here or PM me.

Thanks

Heli Ops

Heli Ops;

Being an ex contracting officer, I beleive you could go about this another way

1. The location is irrelevant as most of the time will be spent in the classroom.

2. There are other places in Alberta (Kaninaskus) and BC, Kelowna and Pinticton to name a few.

3. We have a system in Canada called the "Merx" system and is a place for people to get bids from companies willing to provide their product on a competitive basis.

4. Have somebody submit a scope of requirement to one of the companies in Canada that is on the "Merx" network to get replies.

5. Do not go for lowest price, like the feds, but best all around value.

6. Put in a cancellation clause with at least 45 days prior notice at no cost, as the hotels will have no cost at that time of the year. The hotels will only be providing meals, accomodations and a venue. This already part of the infrastructure, wether used or not.

7. As most of the operators are situated in AB and BC, restrict the bidding to hotels from those area's.

Food for thought, IMHO.

Cheers, Don

Blackmac said:
1. The location is irrelevant as most of the time will be spent in the classroom.
Can this be true?

I was planning on coming because I live pretty close to Whistler (just across the Strait of Georgia) and can easily get to Banff... but most of the time in the classroom? I was hoping that most of the time would be spent in the pub swapping stories, and every now and then we'd head to a seminar.

Of course I'm speaking tongue in cheek, but I really do want to meet, greet, network and swap tales with guys from the industry first... and learn a lot more second.

Not to denigrate any of the professional activities... I'm just stating what I think are my priorities (I'm never sure until the morning)... :boff:

HV

P.S. Matador, if you're out there, are you coming?

What is the adgenda or reason of this conference? key note speaker? distance from the closest pub or pealer joint?

Considering a grand total of 47 persons have voted on location, to save costs you may want to hold it in a buddy's basement or something?

Just a thought!

Hi HV, still a bit early to know but of course I'm planning to go, actually my wife is already improving her English, and I'm saving money to go there.
I seriously think it could be a great occasion to meet and learn many things and from many people.
If Ned is behind it all I bet it will be TOP QUALITY and as far as I know he is putting a lot of effort and some more on this meetting.
P.D. Where are you know. Left in a hurry or what??? :up:

Good to hear you're thinking seriously about it anyway... as for leaving early, well the guys I was travelling with were definitely in a hurry. I was still doing up my paperwork with the blades just winding down... and they had the car loaded with their stuff and were waiting for me... and I landed first!

Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it), I am scheduled to go back to work on the 25th of October... and that may be moved up a bit... so I needed to get home and get some stuff done... the list is very long and time is very short... I'm planning on giving you a call in a couple of days though...

Take care and thanks for everything,

HV

P.S. Here's a picture taken the night before we left... the fog came in less than 5 minutes... I was worried for the morning departure, but it was beautiful...

The base where you were stationed it closes allways one of the firsts in the season due to this type of weather. We still fighting fires and enjoying mountain SAR training. I'll keep you informed on how things go around here. Take care.
P.D. Did you ever meet Carmen?? :p
Buen vuelo

I don't know how I missed this thread, but I did. Banff or Whistler? Doesn't matter - let's get 'er going!

cyclic monkey,

Your fridge looks just like mine.

Up kinda late there GM...wet the bed again?

So after reading through 4!!! pages I still haven't seen where and when, can someone fill me in?

Latest posts

Back