Boarding denied due to reservation not found in system

mrahman116

Nov 20, 2019
Hi,

I would like to share with you my recent travel experience and seek your advice.

Our original flight was from Toronto, Canada to Dhaka, Bangladesh by WestJet (Toronto to Montreal) and by Qatar Airways (Montreal to Doha & Doha to Dhaka). But WestJet Toronto- Montreal flight cancelled due to mechanical issue. And it was confirmed we cannot catch our connecting flight.

Then, WestJet rebooked our flight from Toronto, Canada to Dhaka, Bangladesh by Air France (Toronto to Paris) and connecting flights by Emirates (Paris to Dubai and Dubai to Dhaka). They gave us printed e-ticket.

We arrived in Paris by Air France from Toronto the following day - Air France gave us boarding pass for only their flight and asked us to collect connecting flight boarding pass from Emirates. They also checked-in our baggages + carry-on all the way to Dhaka. After coming to Paris, we went to Emirates gate but the agents were saying they don't have our reservation in Emirates system. They sent us to Air France customer service. Air France confirmed they can see our connecting flight info in their system. But Emirates refused us to take. Two airlines kept sending us back and forth without communicating with each other. We were like their messenger carrier! Finally, Emirates flight left without us. Then we phoned WestJet, then they rebooked us by Qatar Airways on that night (after twelve hours). WestJet asked us to talk to Qatar airways regarding our baggage. We did accordingly but before flight one of the agent informed that they couldn't get our baggage in time and instructed to claim baggage when we reach the final destination. Finally, we arrived in our destination Dhaka via Doha withou our baggage. We filed a claim for baggage to Qatar Airlines. Currently follow-up ongoing with Qatar Airlines for last three days.

Now my questions are:

1. Can emirates deny our boarding? We have e-ticket. Also France Airways have our reservation info and Emirates connecting flight details. I have picture from Air France system as well. Emirates agent were super unfriendly. Air France also didn't bother to pick up the phone. They were writing messages to each other in the back page of e-ticket!!

2. What compensation i can expect from these airlines (WestJet, Air France, Emirates, not sure if Qatar should be included - I haven't got my baggage yet) for my horrible experience?

Emirates can do whatever it wants. Your problems are with Westjet to resolve on the ticketing, and you should only deal with Qatar as far as your bags go. They'll wind up billing Air France or Emirates if either of those airlines were at fault.

Compensation? You get what you negotiate, but there's nothing mandated.

Westjet doesn't owe you for a safety related cancellation. You can appeal to their good graces, but my guess is you'll get nothing out of them.

Thanks for the response. We are following up with Qatar airways for the baggage. I was just wondering what would WestJet explanation about e-ticket/reservations. How come Emirates didn't see the reservations in their system? Who is at fault in this case?

Regards,
Mustafiz

Emirates can do whatever it wants. Your problems are with Westjet to resolve on the ticketing, and you should only deal with Qatar as far as your bags go. They'll wind up billing Air France or Emirates if either of those airlines were at fault.

Compensation? You get what you negotiate, but there's nothing mandated.

Westjet doesn't owe you for a safety related cancellation. You can appeal to their good graces, but my guess is you'll get nothing out of them.

It's a moot point. Unless you bought the original ticket with Emirates, they're not obligated to carry you.