Body Art And The Flight Attendent

hannah1211

Feb 11, 2004
Hello,
I am interested in beginning a career as a flight attendant. I am a 22 year old female and in great physical and moral shape but I have one question... I have some tattoos and body piercings, is this automatically disqualifying for employment.? What are your thoughts, feelings, and/or company policy on females with body art. Do you or any of your female flight attendant colleagues have tattoos or piercings? if so, how well does the average uniform cover them, etc....Thanks in advance from an aspiring flight attendant!!!
-Hannah

hannah1211 said:
Hello,
I am interested in beginning a career as a flight attendant. I am a 22 year old female and in great physical and moral shape but I have one question... I have some tattoos and body piercings, is this automatically disqualifying for employment.? What are your thoughts, feelings, and/or company policy on females with body art. Do you or any of your female flight attendant colleagues have tattoos or piercings? if so, how well does the average uniform cover them, etc....Thanks in advance from an aspiring flight attendant!!!
-Hannah
Send us some pictures and we will let you know.

Just kidding.

I suppose it would depend on whether or not you could see them when in uniform, otherwise how would they know?

IMHO, it would depend on if it's visible with "regular" clothing on, and what part of the body is pierced. I would imagine that in the rather "conservative" world of airlines, pierced lips, eyebrows, or tongues would be enough to disqualify you.

It is my understanding, If it can not be seen in uniform. You need to tell them when they ask on the application, and they did on mine. . .that you have them.

we had someone cut from class because they had tatoos they denied having on their app. It was on their upper arm, You could not see them unless they wore a sleevless shirt or bathing suit. There was no way it could have been seen in class. Someone, (part of the instructors group) had to have seen it at the hotel where we all stayed, during time away from class.

I found out for sure that was the reason they were cut. I was told, lying on the app is a major "no-no"

Bob Owens said:
hannah1211 said:
Hello,
-Hannah
Send us some pictures and we will let you know.

Just kidding.

I suppose it would depend on whether or not you could see them when in uniform, otherwise how would they know?
Just a question,
Was the comparison of TWU & Walmart a dig, or a financial "success" comment? I am a TWU #556 member (WN F/A"s) and our ramp & ops are local #555. 555 had a large increase among other improvements and time will tell re: our 556 negotiations. It has gotten ugly with us but, My NT Speaks For Me!!!

Chris <_<

Good catch Chris. Since I can't stand Wal Mart, I automatically thought it was a slam. But considering that many people think Wal Mart is a great success, then you could be right! It might be a complement.

swagalleyhag said:
Good catch Chris. Since I can't stand Wal Mart, I automatically thought it was a slam. But considering that many people think Wal Mart is a great success, then you could be right! It might be a complement.
If you look in the mechanics section of these boards, you'll see that Bob Owens is not the biggest fan of the TWU...his signature is certainly NOT intended as a compliment.

orangeman said:
[Just a question,
  Was the comparison of TWU & Walmart a dig, or a financial "success" comment? I am a TWU #556 member (WN F/A"s) and our ramp & ops are local #555. 555 had a large increase among other improvements and time will tell re: our 556 negotiations. It has gotten ugly with us but, My NT Speaks For Me!!!

Chris <_<
Its a dig. See the graph below for one of the reasons why.

pay_vs_cpi.jpg

The brief spike you see in 2002-3 was the result of the fact that AMFA was voted in at NWA and recieved an increase that we matched for unless the TWU matched it they were going to lose us. Well they managed to take it back "without further ratification" and the AMFA will file for an election later this month.

Ask your reps about their proposal to put recall back into the TWU Constitution at the 2001 Convention. Ask them how Sonny shot them down. Your reps are pretty good, they supported Democratic reform, however they are handicapped by a corrupt International. They enjoy a lot more autonomy than we do as far as the contract and all so the lack of democracy and accountabilty may not be all that important to you guys but for a taste of the TWU read the "Report of Proceedings" of the 21st Constitutional Convention of the TWU. Page 9 gives you a good start;

President Hall;
And as you know we recommend that you vote "no" on that amendment.

The question has been called for. All in favor of the amendment, please say aye. Those opposed to the amendment please say aye. The ayes have it.

...Cries of "Which ayes?" ...

President Hall;
Well, if you get up here, then you can decide the day you get here.

If we have any more comments along this subject we should start a new thread.

Back