Business Week

Legacy carriers need to reexamine their operational strategies. Some of the major airlines hope to compete more effectively by launching "low-cost" airline subsidiaries, including Delta's (DAL ) new Song unit. S&P remains skeptical about the effectiveness of launching low-fare subsidiaries without attacking some of the core problems at the major airlines, such as high salaries, unprofitable routes, and large fixed costs of maintaining hubs.

This is something I have been saying for a long time. I know it is easy to find quotes to agree with, and I am not out to see the company not do well, but I question the lcc.
Time will prove someone right, but that is the last thing to care about. It is going on a wrong heading that scares me. I do hope I am wrong.

Jetlaagd said:
Please check the Link provided.........Finally someone int he business world thinks UAL will come out of bankruptcy. :D http://yahoo.businessweek.com/investor/con..._5539_pi041.htm
You must be a paid spin-doctor! Nowhere in that article does it state UA will emerge from BK. Just speculation on 'maybe' a turnaround for the airline industry by 2005 (ya think UA's creditors will remain at bay that long??) and the article even says UA's liquidation would be a good thing for the industry.

Also, real gems of insight like this prediction....

"In our opinion, Southwest (LUV ) is extremely well positioned vs. its peers, and we think it will remain profitable in 2003 and continue to outperform the industry over the next few years"

....could also have been made by my dead aunt! Who pays cashmoney for this bullshit?

Jetlaagd: are we reading the same article?

whatkindoffreshhell said:
You must be a paid spin-doctor! Nowhere in that article does it state UA will emerge from BK.

<Snip>

Jetlaagd: are we reading the same article?
Perhaps you aren't reading the same article!

In the article's 7th paragraph, the following is stated:

If UAL fails to emerge from bankruptcy and is forced to liquidate, S&P believes that enough capacity would likely come out of the market to allow the remaining carriers to raise airfares significantly and operate much more profitably. However, S&P thinks it's likely that UAL will emerge from bankruptcy, possibly much healthier and more competitive.

While the second sentence quoted above is not an absolute slam-dunk, it does seem to me to be a fairly positive statement.

That whole paragraph is odd. In total I would say the article is a positive for UAL. No analyst has yet to be this optimistic about the future of UAL. But, I do think he hedged his bet with the first statement. If you think UAL will survive through BK then why talk about the industry revenue picture minus the company.

Whatkindoffreshhell:

Go back a reread the article again. This time read, instead of scan, the paragraph that Cosmo pointed out. You will see that Businessweek states that S&P believes that UAL WILL emerge from bankruptcy a much healthier and more competitive airline. :)

And I stand by mine!

BTW, I get plenty of fresh air -- took a nice walk at lunchtime today. But thanks for your "concern".

whatkindoffreshhell said:
I stand by my original post.

A once-mighty airline grasping for the questionable value of a few gray words.

Cosmo & Novaqt: please get some fresh air.
Whatkindoffshell,You are right,as an employee of UAL,I am grasping for any kind of nice media attention I can get.The reason The reason I started this link was to provide a breath of fresh air for other UAL employees.That was the whole reason I started the topic.

Thank you Jetlaagd for the breath of fresh air! There are a few naysayers on this board that do a good job of "cutting and pasting" and then putting THEIR negative spin on what appears in the media. I can truly say that I am breathing much easier than I was this time last year due to the fact that UA has competent leadership at last. UA is hiring new employees and bring some back from furlough. There are lots of jobs listed on the company job line, both management and nonmanagement. Yes, UA has a few more tough hurdles to get over, but a lot less than a year ago. We've come a long way baby and I know. with out a doubt, we will make it.

Latest posts