Can AA afford new infilght entertainment/email?

Jul 13, 2003
Can AA afford to install new inflight entertainment systems and email services on it''s aircraft? Will AA continue to use dated inflight entertainment which consists of old news, sitcom reruns, an even older movie and an average of 17 AA/Citibank AAdvantage commercials per flight?

Will Arpey make his mark as the CEO who brought AA into the 21st century?

Will AA languish behind the pack (JetBlue, Song by October 2003, soon to be installed United, etc.) or will AA take the lead?

Customers want it, so AA must provide it. Or AA will slowly drift into oblivion.

Well, since the 2nd quarter SEC report said that they are going to layoff an additional 8000+ people by June04, that should free up some money for updating the entertainment systems. After all, they are in the midst of spending $14 million for new carpet in the concourses at STL; so money must be available somewhere.

Well, I think that 14 million goes for a bit more than just new carpet, but it chaps my ass that the STL Airport Authority doesn't pick up the tab for cleaning up it's own rotting hole that is Lambert. At times I believe that entire airport should be bulldozed and start over from scratch. I'll bet the smell alone makes a lot of travelers look for alternate connecting cities.

----------------
On 8/3/2003 12:03:42 PM FibberMcGee wrote:

You guys are beautiful. All you can think about is how the carpet looks in STL when hundreds of lives will be affected in STL come Nov 1. You are closing STL for all intents and purposes. The carpet that has been replaced in STL was done by the City of St. Louis, not AA. The AA portion has not started yet. And since AA will only have 18 gates (10 American Connection gates and 8 AA gates) I don't think it will be $14 million. Wing, give it a rest. AA will probably close the rest of STL soon anyway once they find out there are still a few former TWA workers with jobs. Get over yourself. Few of you realize that once the former TWA people are gone so is your cusion. You had better start working together and fix things instead of moaning and groaning over cosmetic stuff. I'll say one thing about TWA, we never hoped other workers would get the axe. The infighting at AA could be its undoing. The reason TWA lasted as long as it did was the way the workforce pulled together and it just won't be there with AA once STL is gone.

----------------​

Nicely put my friend.
10.gif

You guys are beautiful. All you can think about is how the carpet looks in STL when hundreds of lives will be affected in STL come Nov 1. You are closing STL for all intents and purposes. The carpet that has been replaced in STL was done by the City of St. Louis, not AA. The AA portion has not started yet. And since AA will only have 18 gates (10 American Connection gates and 8 AA gates) I don't think it will be $14 million. Wing, give it a rest. AA will probably close the rest of STL soon anyway once they find out there are still a few former TWA workers with jobs. Get over yourself. Few of you realize that once the former TWA people are gone so is your cusion. You had better start working together and fix things instead of moaning and groaning over cosmetic stuff. I'll say one thing about TWA, we never hoped other workers would get the axe. The infighting at AA could be its undoing. The reason TWA lasted as long as it did was the way the workforce pulled together and it just won't be there with AA once STL is gone.