Capt. Woerth's Statement (Senate Pension Reform)

SmoothRide

Aug 25, 2002
November 16, 2005

ALPA's president, Capt. Duane E. Woerth, issued the following statement today after the U.S. Senate brought the "Pension Security and Transparency Act of 2005" (S.1783) to the floor by unanimous consent and approved the measure by a 97-2 vote. Before the final passage, the Senate adopted, by an overwhelming voice vote, an amendment offered by Sens. Johnny Isakson (R-GA), Jay Rockefeller (D-WV), and Trent Lott (R-MS) that provides a 20-year amortization period for unfunded pension plan liabilities. In addition, the Senate adopted by a 58-41 vote an amendment offered by Sens. Daniel Akaka (D-HI) and Arlen Specter (R-PA) that would apply the PBGC's normal retirement age guarantee limit to pilots at their mandatory retirement age of 60.
Capt. Woerth said, "The Air Line Pilots Association hails the Senate's passage of the ‘Pension Security and Transparency Act of 2005' as a major milestone for airline pilots. This legislation will make it possible for several airlines to live up to their promise of a secure retirement pension to tens of thousands of airline employees, and will restore much of what thousands of other pilots have lost in terminated pensions.

"We applaud Senators Isakson, Rockefeller, Lott, Akaka, and Specter for their tremendous leadership on behalf of airline employees across the nation. Congress recognized the uniqueness of the airline industry in the Isakson-Rockefeller-Lott amendment and the uniqueness of airline pilots in the Akaka-Specter amendment.

"By extending the amortization period to 20 years, the Senate has helped to prevent existing defined-benefit plans from being terminated and will help ensure a secure retirement for airline employees.

"We urge the U.S. House to follow the Senate's lead and act swiftly on HR.2830 to facilitate a conference between the House and Senate before the Congress adjourns at the end of the year. Thousands of faithful employees' futures are hanging in the balance."

I don't know how anyone else feels about this statement but I personally was pretty insulted that Capt. Woerth made absolutely no reference - not even as a token comment - to the literally thousands of active and retired pilots at United and USAir who's pensions and retirement security have been scuttled. After all, these bills would never have seen the light of day had it not been for THEIR sacrifice.

I can imagine that the whole tone of this statement would have been dramically differenct if HIS pension was lost. Duane, you are a real standup kind of guy!? I guess you can breathe easy now, huh? What a piece of work!

Frankly, I wonder why I even bother with the ALPA Legislative PAC.

"In addition, the Senate adopted by a 58-41 vote an amendment offered by Sens. Daniel Akaka (D-HI) and Arlen Specter (R-PA) that would apply the PBGC's normal retirement age guarantee limit to pilots at their mandatory retirement age of 60."

This effectively doubles an affected retired pilots payout to $45,614/yr does it not?

If its a pat on the back that you want
call your mother, not ALPA.

"In addition, the Senate adopted by a 58-41 vote an amendment offered by Sens. Daniel Akaka (D-HI) and Arlen Specter (R-PA) that would apply the PBGC's normal retirement age guarantee limit to pilots at their mandatory retirement age of 60."

This effectively doubles an affected retired pilots payout to $45,614/yr does it not?

If its a pat on the back that you want
call your mother, not ALPA.

AAviator, you obviously don't work for United or USAirways - otherwise you would be singing a different tune. The people that are really getting screwed in this whole deal are the retirees - many that spent 25-35 years faithfully supporting ALPA. Their backs are really against the wall. It would have been the perfect opportunity for Capt. Woerth to refresh the memories of Congress and the Public that while passage of this Senate bill *might* ultimately benefit airline employees in saving their pensions, there are tens of thousands of employees at United and USAir who will not benefit at all. This is what I expect from my union president. It is a simple public acknowledgment of the pain and suffering of these people and puts a human face on the issue.

While passage of the Akaka bill will provide some relief, it still must be reconciled with the House version and a very unsympathetic President. It's premature to celebrate and it hardly makes up for a lost DB plan. But then...you likely wouldn't care or know anything about that unless you were directly affected, would you?

I stand by my statement, AAviator. We've gone round and round about the Age 60 issue and you seem perfectly willing to discriminate against everyone/anyone if there's something in it for YOU, namely a seat change with better pay, etc. However, based on the flimsy logic and reasoning of your past statements, I fully expect you to have an epiphany on the Age 60 issue as you become more mature. Perhaps you should ask your own mother for advice and opinion on the AGE 60 issue and leave mine out of it.

While it is grievous that any employee has lost any pension, I would hope that there is greater good to be had by learning from the UA and US situation and doing what is necessary for them not to be repeated.

It will be mighty hard politically for DL to dump their pensions if this becomes law given that it was just about DL alone that was pushing for the 20 year catch up period.

Latest posts