Carty/Arpey to meet with Unions OCT 30th

Status
Not open for further replies.

MileHighGuy

Oct 14, 2002
[P]
[BLOCKQUOTE][BR]----------------[BR]On 10/28/2002 4:50:53 PM RV4 wrote:
[P]It appears that Carty/Arpey has summoned the unions to a briefing on AA's future for October 30th in Dallas.[BR][BR]Any speculation on what the bad news will consist of?[/P]----------------[/BLOCKQUOTE]
[P]How do pay cuts or more job cuts sound? Who knows, maybe both!?![/P]
[P]Get set for a reAAl eye opener from Carty! The blood bath begins![/P]
14.gif']

It appears that Carty/Arpey has summoned the unions to a briefing on AA''s future for October 30th in Dallas.
Any speculation on what the bad news will consist of?

[P]
[BLOCKQUOTE][BR]----------------[BR]On 10/28/2002 7:06:07 PM RV4 wrote:
[P]I suspect there may be more job cuts and request to forego any contractual raises first.[BR][BR]Pay cuts will come later![/P]----------------[/BLOCKQUOTE]
[P]Well everyone can kiss their raises goodbye at AMR, that's for sure. But don't be too quick to rule out pay cuts. Putting into play lower wages are definitely on Carty's agenda. He has no other choice. Just look at what's been accomplished at US Airways and look at where United is headed. AA has to compete in order to play the game.[/P]
[P]Why else would he be meeting with the unions?[/P]
14.gif']

[BR]Well let's see? UAL is getting ready to lower their costs by X number of dollars/month. UAL and AMR are currently locked in a struggle in ORD for dominance which UAL is winning (albeit at a high cost), AMR is losing a ton of $$ (easily as much, and soon to be more) than UAL. Revenues aren't there. Anywhere near enough to sustain current operations as is. South America is hurting, the North Atlantic is dismal, and domestic yields are below seasonal averages. [BR][BR]I think the handwriting is on the wall. While DC and most of the rest of the industry leaders have held back hoping things would turn around, the time has come to finally give in to reality. It may be AMR's turn now but I predict they'll be followed by DAL and CAL soon. It's either contain costs even more (read furloughs, cutbacks on capacity, etc.) or get ready for even more red ink. [BR][BR]I don't envy anyone out there right now. No one is immune from the industry ills (save for WN to some extent). Get ready for some bad news. I hope I'm wrong but I'm afraid I'm right on this one. Best of luck. Fly safe![BR][BR]Cheers,[BR][BR]Z

Why summon union leaders to HDQ? Perhaps to give them the same financial briefing managers have been getting during the past two weeks on where AMR is after the 3Q reports?

If it were truly more than that, I'd see the meetings being held with each of the unions individually, since discussions on workrule changes or wages are not something I'd want to do in a group setting...

In my opinion and all koolaid aside, I see wage concessions as a move of last resort. Wage cuts only last until the next contract -- workrule changes have a lot longer lasting benefit.

Given a choice of working harder for the same paycheck, or working for less money, I think I'd rather work a little harder than have to change my family's standard of living.

Eric,
Your right about pay cuts as a last resort !!!!!!!!!!
( I find myself agreeing with you at an alarming rate)

As far as Arpey(BABY CRANDALL) is concerned, I'd call this(wed./30th) as his official coming out party
While most everyone was so sure that Garton was next in line to DC, I was predicting that Arpey WOULD be the next #1,
AND
That he's going to try to be a nasty S O B(just like his daddy - R.L.C. !!!!!!!!!!

NH/BB's

[P][STRONG][FONT size=7]BOHICA[/FONT][/STRONG][/P]
[P]
[BLOCKQUOTE][BR]----------------[BR]On 10/28/2002 4:50:53 PM RV4 wrote:
[P]It appears that Carty/Arpey has summoned the unions to a briefing on AA's future for October 30th in Dallas.[BR][BR]Any speculation on what the bad news will consist of?[/P]----------------[/BLOCKQUOTE]
[P][/P]
[P][STRONG][FONT size=7]BOHICA[/FONT][/STRONG][/P]

APFA Info Rep hotline is reporting that Union and Company brass had a meeting on the 29th, and American basically reviewed recent changes, informed them about new ones (attendant policy, achiever's program, etc. etc.) but no mention of concessions as of yet.

[P]
[BLOCKQUOTE][BR]----------------[BR]On 10/31/2002 11:23:29 AM s80dude wrote:
[P]APFA Info Rep hotline is reporting that Union and Company brass had a meeting on the 29th, and American basically reviewed recent changes, informed them about new ones (attendant policy, achiever's program, etc. etc.) but no mention of concessions as of yet.[/P]----------------[/BLOCKQUOTE]
[P]The concessions will be forthcoming. Trust me on this one.[/P]
14.gif']

HHHHmmmmmmm!! sounds very familiar. Same thing happened at TWA. Not only will you be asked for pay cuts but for vacation give backs, holiday give backs, and work rule changes. its only a matter of time, believe it.
8.gif']

Status
Not open for further replies.