CCY Facing Same Fate as PIT

----------------
On 5/29/2003 5:06:37 PM PITbull wrote:

----------------
On 5/29/2003 3:39:58 PM 2cents wrote:

TwiceBaked,
He looks about 5''6" tall couldn''t see if he had on elevator shoes

Not that it matters, but does anyone know how tall he actually is?...I''ve stood right next to him, I''m 5''10" and a half, And I don''t recall him being any shorter than I was....

----------------​

I''m 5''5", and he is lucky to have two inches on me..lucky, and that is with shoes.

----------------​
Well, perhaps it''s not Siegel who has the Napoleon complex.

----------------
On 5/29/2003 2:10:41 PM PineyBob wrote:

----------------

On 5/28/2003 10:50:48 PM PineyBob wrote:

TwiceBaked,

He looks about 5''6" tall couldn''t see if he had on elevator shoes. He seemed personable enough except for his goon squad of Alg county sheriffs arounf him like he''s the freaking president. Lost alot of respect for him that day. It would have taken him 15 minutes to woalk through and say hello to us. But the self important little general didn''t have time for us lowly CP, GP & SP''s who make up the bulk of the club membership.

----------------​

Imagine responding to my own post. I just recieved an e-mail from a very high level source (picture on web page) within US Airways. Accordinng to this person who was in attendence, the security forces present were for the politicians from the PIT area and not part of the US Airways entourage. If this I correct and I believe it to be since the person who shared it with me has been reliable in other correspondence. It appears I owe Mr. Siegel an apology. So as one of the more active persons on this web site, I sincerely apologize for the misunderstanding.

In my response to the individual mentioned I took  the opportunity to let them know my deep concern over employee morale.

----------------​

If the source is referring to the armada of AC Sherrifs for Roddey, they are lying. Period. End of story. I''ve been to events both personally and professionally where Roddey has been there, driven himself there, all without bodyguards. If congresscritters or senators were around, it is entirely possible that the muscle was for them.

I don''t know exactly when Bob saw Siegel in the club at PIT, but think about it--of all the aforementioned parties, which individual would be in the most danger of being physically harmed at PIT--wouldn''t be the guy who just slashed thousands of jobs and contracts, would it? Naaaaaah.

US Airways CEO David Siegel fired a stern warning yesterday at the Washington business community that if he does not get more hometown support for the carrier, including his aggressive efforts to win more slots and boost RJ service at Washington National, he may consider moving the airline''s headquarters to another city.

Three cities have already approached the airline about possible relocations, Siegel revealed in his address to the Greater Washington Initiative annual meeting.

Siegel contends he has seen little support from local business leaders in the 14 months since he has been at the helm of the Arlington, Va.-based carrier. While he admits the airline has not "done all we could to maintain and build the relationship that is needed" with Washington civic and business leaders during the past four years, he believes the airline has been an "active player" in the city.

Siegel said running an airline is a "tough enough business" on its own, and there is little chance US Air can succeed "if we don''t have the support of our hometown partners." Though acknowledging the community rallied around airlines after the Sept. 11 attacks, Siegel said he is "struggling to determine where US Airways fits in within the broader fabric of the greater Washington business community," some 18 months since the attacks.

The airline''s new majority owner -- the Retirement Systems of Alabama -- "would love to find an economic justification for moving our corporate headquarters to Montgomery," Siegel said.

They currently "understand the benefits of our staying here," Siegel said, but they "clearly would like to see Alabama benefit from their investment in our company." Comments from RSA about moving the airline to Alabama have also gotten attention from Charlotte''s business leaders, he said, "because they have long courted us to relocate to North Carolina."

Local Charlotte leaders "are engaged in an active effort to make sure that we know we are loved and wanted in Charlotte," Siegel said. Most recently, the governor of Pennsylvania suggested US Airways should relocate to that state as part of its negotiations to maintain our hub in Pittsburgh. "I admit that I like the fact that people are actually vying for our attention," he said. "So far, I really don''t get that feeling from the Washington community, however."

He went one step further, adding that every one of its major competitors has a hometown advantage, citing Delta''s relationship with Atlanta and Continental''s partnership with Houston. In Washington, he is concerned that United opposes changes at Washington National to protect its Dulles hub from competition, he said.

United "ought to pipe down and let us work" with the Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority on how US Airways can now improve National. "And the local community should tell them so," he said.

Siegel encouraged Washington business leaders yesterday to call members of Congress to support the airline''s efforts to change some restricted slots to beyond-perimeter slots. He also wants to change the definition of a commuter slot, so US Airways can operate its new 76-seat regional jets from DCA.

Siegel also blasted the Washington Post, explaining that he is "absolutely dumbfounded" that the Post has taken "such an indifferent attitude towards our company." Siegel claims the newspaper did not "devote a single word on its editorial page to our airline." While he does not expect the paper to be his "cheerleaders," he said the coverage, or lack thereof, "has left me scratching my head more than once."

Source: Aviation Daily, May 30, 2003

----------------
On 5/30/2003 10:19:14 AM DCAflyer wrote (quoting Aviation Daily):

Siegel contends he has seen little support from local business leaders in the 14 months since he has been at the helm of the Arlington, Va.-based carrier. While he admits the airline has not "done all we could to maintain and build the relationship that is needed" with Washington civic and business leaders during the past four years, he believes the airline has been an "active player" in the city.
----------------​
Exactly what has US done to build passenger (business or otherwise) loyalty in the Washington area other than put up Shuttle ads in the MCI Center and on buses and subways? Downgrading a substantial portion of US' pre-9/11 mainline flights at DCA to RJs or turboprops (or discontinuing service entirely in a few markets) once the airport reopened after 9/11 did not help.

----------------

Siegel said running an airline is a "tough enough business" on its own, and there is little chance US Air can succeed "if we don't have the support of our hometown partners." Though acknowledging the community rallied around airlines after the Sept. 11 attacks, Siegel said he is "struggling to determine where US Airways fits in within the broader fabric of the greater Washington business community," some 18 months since the attacks.
----------------​
Had anyone from US even asked the question of "where US Airways fits in" to Washington area businesses or the large number of US frequent flyers who live around here prior to Siegel's broadside to the business group?

----------------

The airline's new majority owner -- the Retirement Systems of Alabama -- "would love to find an economic justification for moving our corporate headquarters to Montgomery," Siegel said.
----------------​
Wow! If you are worried that many potential passengers think of US as a regional carrier NOW, just wait until the HQ is moved to Montgomery, AL. And incidentally, how many current CCY staff does anyone think will follow the HQ there (and I'm not talking about the senior decision-making executives -- I mean the actual CCY workers who have all of the institutional memory)? 10%? 20%? Imagine the combined impact on US' operations from the dislocations of a move AND the loss of a majority of the current CCY workers.

----------------

Local Charlotte leaders "are engaged in an active effort to make sure that we know we are loved and wanted in Charlotte," Siegel said. Most recently, the governor of Pennsylvania suggested US Airways should relocate to that state as part of its negotiations to maintain our hub in Pittsburgh. "I admit that I like the fact that people are actually vying for our attention," he said. "So far, I really don't get that feeling from the Washington community, however."
----------------​
The difference is that while US essentially "owns" CLT, PHL and PIT, the Washington market is much more diverse with three major airports each having a different primary carrier -- US at DCA, Southwest at BWI and United at IAD. Moreover, given the operational limitations at DCA (not just slots and the perimeter rule but gates and runway length, too), both Southwest and United can offer Washington area passengers a greater breadth of service -- more mainline destinations and frequencies in Southwest's case and nonstop transcon plus nonstop international service to Europe and Latin America in United's case.

----------------

He went one step further, adding that every one of its major competitors has a hometown advantage, citing Delta's relationship with Atlanta and Continental's partnership with Houston. In Washington, he is concerned that United opposes changes at Washington National to protect its Dulles hub from competition, he said.

United "ought to pipe down and let us work" with the Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority on how US Airways can now improve National. "And the local community should tell them so," he said.
----------------​
HELLO! In the other cities that Siegel mentions, the hometown carriers have significant hub operations with widespread and frequent domestic and international flights, a situation that does not exist for US in the Washington area (and cannot exist at DCA). And why shouldn't United try to protect its IAD hub? After all, despite the UA/US codeshare, the two carriers are still COMPETITORS! This is really no different than United vigorously competing for passengers with Lufthansa on the IAD/ORD/SFO-FRA routes.

----------------

Siegel encouraged Washington business leaders yesterday to call members of Congress to support the airline's efforts to change some restricted slots to beyond-perimeter slots. He also wants to change the definition of a commuter slot, so US Airways can operate its new 76-seat regional jets from DCA.
----------------​
The first won't happen because the majority of people in the Washington area are strongly against it, and the second is unnecessary because a substantial portion of US' RJ and turboprop flights at DCA are already using mainline slots with no maximum seating limitation.

----------------

Siegel also blasted the Washington Post, explaining that he is "absolutely dumbfounded" that the Post has taken "such an indifferent attitude towards our company." Siegel claims the newspaper did not "devote a single word on its editorial page to our airline." While he does not expect the paper to be his "cheerleaders," he said the coverage, or lack thereof, "has left me scratching my head more than once."
----------------​
That's revisionist history! In the immediate post-9/11 period, The Post editorialized vociferously for the reopening of DCA, citing the impact DCA's temporary closure was having on the Washington region as well as on US Airways (which IIRC was mentioned by name) given its prominent market share position at DCA. And The Post's editors and reporters meet with local business leaders all the time, usually followed with a big article in the paper within a few days -- has US requested such a meeting for Siegel?

The bottom line is that the support Siegel is looking for from the Washington area has to be part of a two-way street, and for the reasons briefly discussed above, IMHO that is not an accurate portrayal of the current situation.

----------------
On 5/30/2003 12:40:25 PM Cosmo wrote:

----------------

----------------​
Exactly what has US done to build passenger (business or otherwise) loyalty in the Washington area other than put up Shuttle ads in the MCI Center and on buses and subways? Downgrading a substantial portion of US'' pre-9/11 mainline flights at DCA to RJs or turboprops (or discontinuing service entirely in a few markets) once the airport reopened after 9/11 did not help.

Triple miles. Code-share with United. Applied for beyond-perimeter exemptions and additional slots when they became available.

----------------

Siegel said running an airline is a "tough enough business" on its own, and there is little chance US Air can succeed "if we don''t have the support of our hometown partners." Though acknowledging the community rallied around airlines after the Sept. 11 attacks, Siegel said he is "struggling to determine where US Airways fits in within the broader fabric of the greater Washington business community," some 18 months since the attacks.
----------------​
Had anyone from US even asked the question of "where US Airways fits in" to Washington area businesses or the large number of US frequent flyers who live around here prior to Siegel''s broadside to the business group?

Fits in quite well given that business/government/legal folks usually think first of DCA when they are planning travel.

----------------

The airline''s new majority owner -- the Retirement Systems of Alabama -- "would love to find an economic justification for moving our corporate headquarters to Montgomery," Siegel said.
----------------​
Wow! If you are worried that many potential passengers think of US as a regional carrier NOW, just wait until the HQ is moved to Montgomery, AL. And incidentally, how many current CCY staff does anyone think will follow the HQ there (and I''m not talking about the senior decision-making executives -- I mean the actual CCY workers who have all of the institutional memory)? 10%? 20%? Imagine the combined impact on US'' operations from the dislocations of a move AND the loss of a majority of the current CCY workers.

Actually, I''d be willing to bet that quite a number of CCY folks would be more than willing to move to Montgomery or CLT. Given that these cities have a much lower cost of living than the DCA area, the salary reductions imposed of CCY folks would be much more bearable. A 1,500 square foot house inside the Capital Beltway costs $300,000. A 1,500 square foot house in CLT would be about $150,000. I know a LOT of people that would like to work for US corporate - they are not willing to do so at the salary level offered by US given CCY''s present geographic location.

----------------

Siegel encouraged Washington business leaders yesterday to call members of Congress to support the airline''s efforts to change some restricted slots to beyond-perimeter slots. He also wants to change the definition of a commuter slot, so US Airways can operate its new 76-seat regional jets from DCA.
----------------​
The first won''t happen because the majority of people in the Washington area are strongly against it, and the second is unnecessary because a substantial portion of US'' RJ and turboprop flights at DCA are already using mainline slots with no maximum seating limitation.

Whether area residents like it or not, additional slots are being opened up at DCA. That is a fact, plain and simple.

(In the interest of space, I have cut out some of the earlier quotes.)

----------------
On 5/30/2003 2:29:39 PM ITRADE wrote:

Triple miles.  Code-share with United.  Applied for beyond-perimeter exemptions and additional slots when they became available.
----------------​
Triple miles and the UA codeshare are systemwide benefits. In fact, thanks to the DOT/DOJ, the UA codeshare is less of a benefit in the Washington area than it is elsewhere in the country because it applies to relatively few US flights at DCA due to UA having competing flights to many of the same destinations at IAD. Also, US didn''t receive any beyond-perimeter exemptions or other additional DCA slots so, despite the effort, no benefit there. My question asking what US has done to build passenger loyalty in the Washington business community was in the context of Siegel contending that he has seen little support from local business leaders. Well, my original question remains -- what have the business leaders seen from US specific to the Washington area that would entice them to give the carrier their loyalty to a greater degree than they already have?

----------------

Fits in quite well given that business/government/legal folks usually think first of DCA when they are planning travel.
----------------​
I would agree with this observation regarding folks in downtown DC/Arlington/Alexandria for domestic (plus some Canadian and Caribbean) trips to destinations east of the Rockies, although I don''t believe it is as much of an issue compared with IAD or BWI for travelers to western U.S. or international destinations, especially where there is nonstop service from either of those two airports. Nonetheless, my question here was in the context of Siegel himself being quoted as saying that he was "struggling to determine where US Airways fits in" with the Washington business community. I was simply suggesting that if he doesn''t know the answer, he should ASK the businesses and US frequent fliers.

----------------

Actually, I''d be willing to bet that quite a number of CCY folks would be more than willing to move to Montgomery or CLT.  Given that these cities have a much lower cost of living than the DCA area, the salary reductions imposed of CCY folks would be much more bearable.  A 1,500 square foot house inside the Capital Beltway costs $300,000.  A 1,500 square foot house in CLT would be about $150,000.  I know a LOT of people that would like to work for US corporate - they are not willing to do so at the salary level offered by US given CCY''s present geographic location.
----------------​
Actually, I was only referring to Montgomery while you talked mostly about CLT. I would agree that more CCY employees would be willing to move to CLT (or PHL or PIT, for that matter) than are likely to agree to move to Montgomery. Still, your argument is premised on the idea that folks would move to one of these cities to get a lower cost of living while maintaining their current (albeit recently reduced) salary. But why would you assume that US would not further reduce their salaries to reflect the lower cost of living in those cities compared to the Washington area, as well as to help pay for the cost of the move? I''m not saying that this is a foregone conclusion on US'' part, but given the way the carrier has come after its workers'' salaries during the past year, can you say that it wouldn''t happen? And if it does happen, the incentive for any CCY employee to move is drastically reduced, if not eliminated altogether.
----------------

Whether area residents like it or not, additional slots are being opened up at DCA. That is a fact, plain and simple. 
----------------​
Actually, it''s not a fact, at least not yet. According to the most recent (last week) information that I''ve seen, this issue has been treated differently in the Senate and House versions of the FAA reauthorization bill. The Senate version of the bill contains a provision for 20 additional DCA slots (12 beyond-perimeter and 8 within-perimeter) while the House version does not contain any provision for more DCA slots. If these two versions of the FAA bill keep their current respective language regarding DCA slots until final passage by each chamber, it will then be decided in a Senate/House conference committee, which could go either way. I guess we''ll have to wait and see what happens.

----------------
On 5/28/2003 9:11:56 PM FlyingHippie wrote:

You know, I am starting to get worried about Dave. Does he need to check himself into the Betty Ford Clinic for his delusional behavior? Oh, wait, he can''t check in - US Airways new PPO provider won''t cover it.

----------------​
Boy isnt that the truth... He really has a severe case of "over inflated ego". Moving CCY is nonsense... He needs to learn whats really important and whats not. I give him about 3- 4 more years and he''ll be replaced...Dave is clueless!!

I don''t think "Dave" realizes if he moves out of DC it will take even longer arms to reach the political pockets, but what do I know...I am just a confused mechanic!

Latest posts

Back