changes to retiree benefits

usa1

Veteran
Oct 6, 2008
Employees who initiate retiree medical coverage on or after Nov. 1 will enter a new retiree medical program. For those who retire under age 65, two non-subsidized medical options will be available. People who retire at 65 or older can buy a guaranteed-issue Medicare supplement plan. Flight attendants and employees represented by the Transport Workers Union will receive a refund of their pre-funding contributions within 120 days of Nov. 1.

http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/2012/10/10-q-filing-by-american-airlines-parent-amr-corp-provides-details-on-severance-related-costs-and-changes-to-retiree-benefits.html/

Any details on this one? "under age 65, two non-subsidized medical options will be available"

For the under 65, think COBRA-neighborhood premiums--$200-$400/month for employee only. The over 65 options are nothing you can't buy from any number of insurance companies offering Medicare Supplement insurance policies. I certainly would not buy Medicare Supplement insurance from a vendor recommended by the company until I had made sure that it was both the least expensive AND offered the coverage I wanted. Think kickbacks, and someone (you and me) has to pay for those.

Reactions: 1 person
For those over 65, AA's insurance is secondary to Medicare, and hasn't paid a dime for my family, or myself, all year anyway. But, was nice to know it was there if needed. This is all part of the latest trend by Industry, and Government, to take from those who need it the most, but are least able to fight to keep what they have worked all their lives for! ------- All I can say is stay healthy people!!!

Are you still working full-time? My experience (3 days in the hospital earlier this month) so far seems to be that AA's insurance is primary and Medicare is secondary. However, it needs to be said that the bills aren't finalized yet. My first experience with Medicare in the picture; so, I'm interested to see how it turns out.

Are you still working full-time? My experience (3 days in the hospital earlier this month) so far seems to be that AA's insurance is primary and Medicare is secondary. However, it needs to be said that the bills aren't finalized yet. My first experience with Medicare in the picture; so, I'm interested to see how it turns out.
Jimntx, been retired four, going on five years now. Been on Medicare for about five of those years. Believe me when I say your AA is secondary!---- Hospitals are not fun! And paying for them ain't either! If worse comes to worse,I have the V.A. to fall back on. But that dosen't help my wife, or family members, if they were still at home, which in my case, they are not. We've got a small villa down in the Virgin Islands that we rent out on occastion. Helps warm these old bones in the winter when things get cold arround here we head south!