Cheap Ultravilot Lights For Leak Finding

frenchwrench

Advanced
May 9, 2003
i found a battery powered light for finding turbine oil leaks at the SanFrancisco store in a local mall on sale for $7.00. they work good for me.

Tried the Snap-on U/V die for finding oil leaks. Seems to work alright except
it scared me. B)

how well does the light work.

we were discussing the merits of it at work today and it's apples and oranges.

Obviously a large leak would not require a light to see it, a tiny seeping leak may be too minor to even worry about under normal circumstances. So where does the light fit in?

Not trying to to knock the idea, just curious as to the uses and results.

We used our NDT black light for checking.

The die seems to start showing after five minutes or less of running
the 540.

It shows up as a light blue colour on the engine. It sort of takes the guess work out of finding a leak cause it shows you where fresh oil leaks are right away before you can actually see the oil running.

B)

I tried a snap on pencil light. not a true UV. Turbine oil is floresent as a byproduct of design.I find it invalueable in the quest for a dry engine.Used it to isolate the component seal vs split line leaks also.never used on pistons.but dyes are available for prestone and oils also.

Hey all..

Just a thought that may save you some money but did you ever consider cleaning the area and just using some developer and the Mark I eyeball to find a leak??

Why spend all this money on something that is not necessary??

Just my opinion..

Hmm i don't know. Have you ever bought some developer. Its not that cheap and the DG garbage and all.

Have done it your way Twotter. Its just when someone sells me these newfangled toys I gots to try them. :blink:

Latest posts

Back