Christmas Wish List

TravelDude

Advanced
Nov 21, 2003
What is your Christmas wish list for United?

This is what I found posted on another site. I must say I agree with almost every point.

"So here's my Christmas wishlist of changes on the line.
1) Economy Plus throughout the whole cabin of every airplane. Com'n Mr. T... It is Christmas, right?

2) Retrofit the 747-400s with seatback videos in coach.

3) Put a new video system on TED. Maybe try the DirectTV route ala Frontier or at least put a DVS9 on there. Even though it won't matter too much LAX-LAS, LAS-MCO is going to be a haul. This way, we can work out the kinks if we decide to put it on other aircraft.

4) Change the laptop connections in First and Business so people don't require adaptors. Northwest's new A330 seats allow you to just plug in. Are we in cahoots with the cable manufacturers or what?

5) Create a decent Economy Plus product for international with laptop power connections in the seats. At least we could try to compete with Virgin and BA.

What do you guys think? What would you like to see change?" What is your Christmas wish list for United?

Dude -
Great list. Of course, the trick is to see if Santa can actually afford to do any of this. Merry Christmas!

Santa has to feed his reindeer before he wastes money on video systems and leg room.

Bizman said:
Santa has to feed his reindeer before he wastes money on video systems and leg room.
Honestly, that is a great point!

But, UA needs to at least match the competition if it expects a long term future, if it wants compete against low cost carriers then it needs surpass their product offerings.

Scenario 1 (Hypothetical):
I can fly United, JetBlue, Frontier, AirTran on the same route. But JetBlue & Frontier offer DirectTV for my enjoyment and they charge a lower price. SO, why would I choose UA, Mileage Plus is not that big of an offer.

Scenario 2 (Hypothetical):
I can fly Ted, JetBlue, Frontier, AirTran on the same route. All offer the same price, but again JetBlue & Frontier offer DirectTV for my enjoyment. SO, why would I choose UA.

Do not get me wrong, I want UA to be top dog again. But sometime you have to spend money to make money! So, back to the original reason for the post ;)

What is on your Christmas list for UA?

Interesting question. The customers chance to weigh in on the wish list is a good idea. Here are a couple of ideas.

1. For the short flights (less than 10 hours) remove the televisions. Yes, unplug that vital life-support system of the masses. In the small magazine racks stock an ample selection of books - those things that make individuals think for themselves. Have a broad selection - from Gibbons for Moderns to works that make individuals think about the true role of elected governments other than serving as mere figures of adulation. (In other words they work for you and are not socio-religious objects of veneration) Plus, the televisions are just another way to have to sit and watch commercials. This of course would simply be fighting a rearguard action against the barbarians but it is the spirit of the fight that would count. On the other hand a lecture series would be a good idea. Have that chap from your political channel (Cspan?) Brian Lamb bring on some of his guests and allow the passengers to engage in the lost art of rational discussion.

2. Expect that the majority in the terminal, waiting areas, and in the aircraft are not deaf. Turn down the volume on any and all public address systems. The shrill, piercing, blast of sound emanating from these appurtenances is not only distasteful, but painful. Had I wished to be jolted from my senses by such sound, I would have joined the Royal Marines as a youth. Dulles, by a quick consensus among the colleagues, seems to be the absolute worst in this regard.

3. The laptop plugs in business class would be a great improvement.

Other than this, I actually am generally pleased with the product. I am merely seeking efficient transport from A to B. Quietly and quickly if possible.

Ukridge said:
1. For the short flights (less than 10 hours) remove the televisions. Yes, unplug that vital life-support system of the masses. In the small magazine racks stock an ample selection of books - those things that make individuals think for themselves. Have a broad selection - from Gibbons for Moderns to works that make individuals think about the true role of elected governments other than serving as mere figures of adulation. (In other words they work for you and are not socio-religious objects of veneration) Plus, the televisions are just another way to have to sit and watch commercials. This of course would simply be fighting a rearguard action against the barbarians but it is the spirit of the fight that would count. On the other hand a lecture series would be a good idea. Have that chap from your political channel (Cspan?) Brian Lamb bring on some of his guests and allow the passengers to engage in the lost art of rational discussion.
Ukridge:

I have three comments regarding your suggestion above.

1.) I believe you win the award for having the longest definition (up to 10 hours) of a "short" flight, at least among those of us on this side of the pond. If 10 hours became the cutoff point, I think only a few dozen of United's international flights (and none of its domestic flights) would offer TV/movies.

2.) The people of California just elected Arnold Schwartzeneger as their governor.

3.) You are assuming that the majority of Americans have both the will and the capability "to engage in the lost art of rational discussion", an assumption that IMHO is open to serious question.

Remember, it's obvious why TV got the moniker of the "opiate of the masses" in the U.S., and your suggestion would fly in the face of such an historical trend. Alas, the barbarians have already stormed the gates and have nearly conquered the city! ;)

TV is the opiate of the masses? I thought that Religion was the opiate of the masses. B)

FWAAA said:
TV is the opiate of the masses? I thought that Religion was the opiate of the masses. B)
OK, so I used a little literary license to make that statement! But I think a reasonable argument can be made that, in the U.S. at least, TV is indeed the "the opiate of the masses".

Now, to return this discussion to United, my wish is to see United return to some of the international markets that it has vacated in recent years, such as LAX-AKL (to be in place in case NZ leaves Star), DEN-MEX (MX is leaving Star), IAD-MAD (Spanair codeshare) and IAD-ZRH (LX's recent exit from the market). Of course, this assumes that United's CASM has been lowered sufficiently for these routes to now be profitable.

Well, ok, 10 hours is perhaps a bit of hyperbole. In the Christmas spirit I would be willing to allow anything more than 8 hours to have films. :lol: No television sitcoms and advertising however.
Of course in Blighty we have a sure-fire method of curing someone from every wishing to watch the television ever again. It is a program called East Enders. If the accents are not enough to crease you over in serious discomfort, then the execrable acting will do the trick. Five minutes (well, in my case 30 seconds) of this purgatory will smartly relieve one from every seeking entertainment from a television.
Cheers