Thanks for making my Christmas brighter

drifterreno

Veteran
Aug 21, 2002
First Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to everyone working last night today and tomorrow, and of course everyone on this board.
I'd like to take a moment and tell you a tale of yesterday. My son--a non-dependent- lives in Billings. He has flown standby since he was 15 years old. This year he decided to fly on Friday to be with my Mom for her first Christmas without my Dad who passed away in May. I kept telling him to buy a ticket but they just bought a new home and he had spent a whole month with my Mom after my Dad's passing and was out of work for awhile. So I looked at the flights and said--you should leave on Wednesday or Thursday at the latest. You'll never get there on Friday--going to Orlando. He has so much faith that he said Grandpa and America West will see to it that I get there.
He started out at 6am out of Bil--got bumped. Oh dear the day isn't going well. The agent at the airport did the right thing, rolled him over and listed him on the next flight and put him connecting through Phx and Las, just in case. He got on the 2pm flight which was delayed. Got to Phx and called me asking what to do. Told him to go to pax assistance desk get his listing changed to SA3P and ask their advise. He did and after waiting behind a--well I won't use his words but it was an irate pax giving the girl a hard time--he found Kalene--not sure of the spelling--who in his words was "helpful, kind, friendly, professional, and good at her job. Hats off to this girl. She fixed him up and he was on his way. Got to Las around 8pm and waited. He's patient and good at the door. He doesn't harass anyone and sits quietely and waits to see if he gets on. I got a call from him at 11pm just saying "I'm on!!" So he actually made it to Orlando, got his checked in luggage--amazing that it works this time of year--and is with Mom. It was a long day for both of us, but thanks to all of the people who take time to help a non rev who is on his way to Grandma's house. You all don't know how much this means to my whole family--not many of us--and I thank you for making my Mom's Christmas a little brighter. Sometimes we don't know who we're helping or why but it certainly makes a difference in someone's life. :up:

Glad it worked out for your son. I'm sure grandma's day was made. Many families day's are being made this weekend because of everyone's effort working this weekend. God bless and hope the folks working this weekend find time to celebrate Christmas with someone special.

We are All Family! No matter what uniform and for what company we might work for. The airline industry is like no other in my opinion! I have helped and have been helped by personnel from not only my airline, but from other airlines as well. Hats off to everyone! and Have A Great Christmas!! :up: