Cincinnati DCI Changes, Reflective of 737s Coming?

dfw79

Senior
Aug 20, 2002
Pulled up the schedule for TOL-CVG and Effect Nov. 1 Comair is losing 3 of their current 5 (of 8 daily) flights on this route to ACA. FWA looks like Comair is losing all but 1. There was a mention in the local rag last week that they are talking with Delta & AA to start DFW service from TOL, but nothing is in the schedules to reflect this. Any idea where all these CRJs are going? I know it isn''t due to loads on this route since DCI has continously put over 25,000 through TOL month after month. Last month Comair alone they did 6581 out / 6668 in with load factors of 73.9%/74.8%.

----------------
On 8/22/2002 10:37:40 AM

Pulled up the schedule for TOL-CVG and Effect Nov. 1 Comair is losing 3 of their current 5 (of 8 daily) flights on this route to ACA. FWA looks like Comair is losing all but 1. There was a mention in the local rag last week that they are talking with Delta and AA to start DFW service from TOL, but nothing is in the schedules to reflect this. Any idea where all these CRJs are going? I know it isn't due to loads on this route since DCI has continously put over 25,000 through TOL month after month. Last month Comair alone they did 6581 out / 6668 in with load factors of 73.9%/74.8%.
----------------

There is a big shift occuring Nov. 1 between ACA and Comair. ACA is leaving LGA completely and being replaced by Comair. The ACA planes from LGA then come to CVG to replace Comair. In the end, the number of flights remains roughly the same for both LGA and CVG, however capacity is shifted. Since the Comair CRJ's are larger than the ACA FRJ's, LGA gains a little capacity while CVG loses a little capacity. Remember also, some Comair RJ's are being replaced by ASA ATR's which slightly increases capacity.

I think DL is trying to get a little more sophisticated about matching capacity with demand at CVG since you'll now have a mix of 32 seat FRJs, 40/50 seat CRJ's and the soon arriving 70 seat CRJ....instead of just solely relying on the 50 seater. Of course, the other reason is that DL wants to mix up the Connection carriers so that hubs are not paralyzed when Connection carriers go on strike.

In terms of the pending arrival of DLX 732's, it's still too early to see what will happen there.

I am wondering if Delta is really getting poised to rid itself of ACA in the next few years. Those ACA aircraft will be replaced by Comair aircraft when Comair gets more of it's aircraft on order. [:sun:]

Tim,

To me, trying to get rid of ACA over any period of time in the near future does not seem to fit in with their strategy of diversifying and overlapping regional capacity in order to prevent killing a hub during any sort of work action by any one particular regional. Seems like they are solidifying that relationship if you ask me. [:)] I don't mean that as a bad thing against Comair or any of the other regionals, just doesn't seem like they are getting rid of any of their regional affiliations anytime soon.

CAETravlr

Latest posts