Class E Surface Extension to Class D Airport

Scott Bligh

Sep 16, 2006
Hello all, new member here with a pressing question. First a round of drinks for all in attendance, on me.

I have asked this question many times as of late but still no definitive answer to put it to rest, just opinions with no written legal authority to back them up.

The situation is this. I fly in the San Diego area. In the north part of San Diego is an airport called Palomar. It is a class D airport near the coast with two class E extensions to facilitate instrument approaches, one to the northwest and one to the east. The tower is under the impression that when the field is operating under IFR, that the Class E extensions become theirs and they can deny entry to VFR aircraft operating in VMC conditions. The weather is often VMC in the Class E extension to the east even though the field is IMC. This might be due to the fact that the field is closer to the ocean.

Now the question. Is anybody aware of any written authority which says a pilot desiring to operate his aircraft under VFR is required to contact the control tower associated with the Class E extension before being granted entry into the VMC Class E airspace?

Is there any time when a VFR pilot is required to contact ATC for Class E clearance?

Thanks much,

Scott

Class E extensions cant be claimed by anyone . . . controllers, towers anything. they can deny acion into the Delta of course but not the E especialy if its in VMC conditions. If anyone can correct me feel free, but thats what i think.

I'm not familiar with the airport, but from what you describe this is one of those "you can do it but it might be wise not to" situations.

First, the "you can do it" part.

In general, class E airspace doesn't impose any restrictions on VFR aircraft:

AIM Section 3-2-6(B)
1. Pilot Certification. No specific certification required.
2. Equipment. No specific equipment required by the airspace.
3. Arrival or Through Flight Entry Requirements. No specific requirements.

and AIM Section 3-2-6(e)
2. Extension to a surface area. There are Class E airspace areas that serve as extensions to Class B, Class C, and Class D surface areas designated for an airport. Such airspace provides controlled airspace to contain standard instrument approach procedures without imposing a communications requirement on pilots operating under VFR.

Now the "it might not be wise" part.

Since this Class E airspace is associated with an airport that apparently has weather reporting, that reported weather becomes the official weather for the associated controlled airspace. So if the airport is reporting IFR, they can deny entry unless the equipment/licensing requirements are met for IFR flight or the tower grants a Special VFR clearance (which requires the pilot to be IFR rated).

So in closing, if you're operating in VFR conditions you don't even need to communicate with the tower to transition thru the Class E airspace. But if the field is IFR and they wanted to violate you, it would be up to you to prove that you were operating legally under VFR conditions since the official weather reporting station is saying it's IFR.

There's an old aviation saying - never argue a point, even when you're right, with someone who can make life more difficult for you than you can make it for them. The folks in the control tower can definitely play havoc with your life, while you can't do much to them.

Jim

AIM Section 3-2-6(B)
1. Pilot Certification. No specific certification required.
2. Equipment. No specific equipment required by the airspace.
3. Arrival or Through Flight Entry Requirements. No specific requirements.

and AIM Section 3-2-6(e)
2. Extension to a surface area. There are Class E airspace areas that serve as extensions to Class B, Class C, and Class D surface areas designated for an airport. Such airspace provides controlled airspace to contain standard instrument approach procedures without imposing a communications requirement on pilots operating under VFR.
I always thought the plot of that book sucked . . .

Thanks guys for taking the time to respond. I agree with your thoughts on this and have thus far found nothing to contradict what we all seem to know.

Thanks again. Fly safe.

Scott

Hi,
In my opinion, I like in aviation, visual meteorological conditions (or VMC) are those in which visual flight rules (VFR) flight is permitted—that is, conditions in which pilots have sufficient visibility to fly the aircraft maintaining visual separation from terrain and other aircraft. They are the opposite of Instrument Meteorological Conditions (IMC). The boundary criteria between IMC and VMC are known as the VMC minima.Visual meteorological conditions are usually defined by certain visibility minimums, cloud ceilings (for takeoffs and landings), and cloud clearances.

Back