CLT Pilot Killed In Motortcycle Accident

CruiseO

Feb 21, 2005
7:16 am | Motorcycle, SUV crash kills airline pilot
KYTJA WEIR
[email protected]
A 55-year-old US Airways pilot was killed Sunday afternoon when a sport utility vehicle hit his motorcycle, according to the S.C. Highway Patrol.

Gerald Lynn Boyce of Charlotte died at the scene of the crash on S.C. 274 near Concord Road just before 5 p.m. He was wearing a helmet.

Boyce had been driving a 2001 Harley-Davidson south on the roadway when an oncoming 2001 Toyota SUV tried to turn left, said Lance Cpl. Josef Robinson. The SUV driver, Sandra Smith of York, S.C., failed to yield, he said.

Boyce was thrown from the bike. The motorcycle then hit a third vehicle that was stopped at a stop sign. Smith suffered minor injuries. Robinson said she could face charges.

7:16 am | Motorcycle, SUV crash kills airline pilot
KYTJA WEIR
[email protected]
A 55-year-old US Airways pilot was killed Sunday afternoon when a sport utility vehicle hit his motorcycle, according to the S.C. Highway Patrol.

Gerald Lynn Boyce of Charlotte died at the scene of the crash on S.C. 274 near Concord Road just before 5 p.m. He was wearing a helmet.

Boyce had been driving a 2001 Harley-Davidson south on the roadway when an oncoming 2001 Toyota SUV tried to turn left, said Lance Cpl. Josef Robinson. The SUV driver, Sandra Smith of York, S.C., failed to yield, he said.

Boyce was thrown from the bike. The motorcycle then hit a third vehicle that was stopped at a stop sign. Smith suffered minor injuries. Robinson said she could face charges.

As a rider myself it makes me sick to see "Smith could face charges".
Christ they hand out speeding tickets left and right, how about charging the crappy drivers who don't merge properly or use their indicators. These are the dangerous drivers that cause motorcycle riders to lose their lives. the priority in this society is not safer roads, its collecting money. Make the roads safer by forcing the bad drivers pay with Jail time. Do it for Boyce.

Rest in peace.

As a rider myself it makes me sick to see "Smith could face charges".
Christ they hand out speeding tickets left and right, how about charging the crappy drivers who don't merge properly or use their indicators. These are the dangerous drivers that cause motorcycle riders to lose their lives. the priority in this society is not safer roads, its collecting money. Make the roads safer by forcing the bad drivers pay with Jail time. Do it for Boyce.

Rest in peace.

Jerry wouldn't want it that way. He was the most gentile and forgiving man I have ever known. At least two dozen men called him "my best friend". This was an accident.

BTW, we bury him tomorrow. Obituary is in the CLT Observer and the Herald.

A320 Driver :(

Jerry wouldn't want it that way. He was the most gentile and forgiving man I have ever known. At least two dozen men called him "my best friend". This was an accident.

BTW, we bury him tomorrow. Obituary is in the CLT Observer and the Herald.

A320 Driver :(
Living with the knowledge you killed someone would be a big punishment. I am not saying she doesn't deserve anything like punishment in other ways, but wow.

From what I read, A320 Driver, it sounds like another fine pilot was lost. He sounds like he was an admirable person, and sometimes accidents do happen. If this person intentionally did what she did, then I'd say bring those charges on. That's murder.

My prayers go out to his family and children if he has any.

Latest posts