Coming Soon: 737's New Look

Diamondbacks2004

Advanced
Mar 29, 2004
View attachment 5133
The first of the Boeing 737-300 aircraft is in a Miami hangar, undergoing its new livery makeover. One of 97 aircraft to be repainted, aircraft N157AW is from the America West fleet and is expected to take nearly two weeks to complete.

Subsequent aircraft will take less time, explained Michael Bond, senior interiors engineer, who is overseeing the project. This first one requires a lot more days – at 12 hours each – to strip the old paint, sand, tape, line up the design perfectly, then apply new paint.

He explained, “We’ll have as many as 15 people working at one time to make sure we have the job done right. It’s essentially a custom job, being the first of its type. But once we have the first one completed, we expect others will go more quickly.â€￾

The current schedule includes just one aircraft at a time, but Michael explained that two at a time will be out starting in the October timeframe. Look for future coverage of the completed aircraft and of the process from start to finish.

Aircraft N157AW is the first B737 to be re-painted in the new livery. It's pictured in Miami getting its new paint job.

View attachment 5132

View attachment 5133
This first one requires a lot more days – at 12 hours each – to strip the old paint, sand, tape, line up the design perfectly, then apply new paint.

He explained, “We’ll have as many as 15 people working at one time to make sure we have the job done right. It’s essentially a custom job, being the first of its type. But once we have the first one completed, we expect others will go more quickly.â€￾

So now they're suddenly worried about getting it right the first time? Took look enough...

While I understand and appreciate the need to paint the AWA planes first and have onlt 2 paint schemes..both that are US Airways, PLEASE..someone PLEASE understand that we have MANY 737's that look like a potato cutter sliced up the aircraft. That look HORRIBLE and are an embarassment to look at.

While I understand and appreciate the need to paint the AWA planes first and have onlt 2 paint schemes..both that are US Airways, PLEASE..someone PLEASE understand that we have MANY 737's that look like a potato cutter sliced up the aircraft. That look HORRIBLE and are an embarassment to look at.

Ironically N425US that was on the National News last night because of the MIA incident seemed to look pretty clean (by East 737 standards) which while saving the company embarassement could have also embarrassed Tempe maybe enough to do something if it had been one of the real ratty ones. From what I here most of the East painting coming up are 757's, mostly ex Eastern plus the ETOPS conversion ones, also 319's 751 was just done, 708 is currently being done, with 709 in a few more weeks.

Cheers

LGA777

Ironically N425US that was on the National News last night because of the MIA incident seemed to look pretty clean (by East 737 standards) which while saving the company embarassement could have also embarrassed Tempe maybe enough to do something if it had been one of the real ratty ones. From what I here most of the East painting coming up are 757's, mostly ex Eastern plus the ETOPS conversion ones, also 319's 751 was just done, 708 is currently being done, with 709 in a few more weeks.

Cheers

LGA777

A couple of the photos I saw on various sites showed Ship 425 looking rather shabby. Hopefully, the U 737 Fleet, as it remains, will get spruced up in short order.

This plane was due out on aug 25th but it's delayed. this outfit painted 1 a320 a/c 622aw and it took them a month. maybe they are having the ins raid's there too like Roswell.

Many of the East 737s are visual eyesores........and many pax comment on the poor appearance and question the general upkeep of the a/c. This needs to be addressed, SOON!

Cheers

LGA777
I thint there are two WEST 757's down for work because the Hawaii layovers went to 32 and 50 hours for KOA and LIH