Comparison DL vs US On Time

deltawatch

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
www.usaviation.com
Monday December 3, 2:26 pm ET

Airline Performance Improves in October, Carriers Avoid Fines for Chronically Delayed Flights

WASHINGTON -- The airline industry's on-time performance through the first 10 months of this year was the second worst on record, but delays in October fell compared with a year ago, according to the Transportation Department.

Additionally, some carriers avoided fines for chronically delayed flights by improving their performance in the third quarter, the department said.

The nation's 20 largest carriers reported an on-time arrival rate of 78.2 percent in October, up from 72.9 percent in the same month a year ago, but down from 81.7 percent in September, according to the Bureau of Transportation Statistics.

In October, 39.8 percent of late flights were delayed by weather, down from 40.4 percent in the same month last year, but up from 34.2 percent in September.

Despite the improved October results, about 24 percent of flights arrived late in the first 10 months of the year. The industry's on-time performance this year was the second worst since comparable data began being collected in 1995, coming in one-tenth of 1 percent better than the first 10 months of 2000.

Nearly 64 percent of flights on Atlantic Southeast Airlines were delayed in October. The Delta Connection carrier, which is owned by SkyWest Inc., had the lowest on-time arrival rate, followed by Alaska Airlines at 70.1 percent and Comair at 74.4 percent. Comair had three flights that were delayed by at least 15 minutes more than 90 percent of the time.

Clearly not where we'd like to be and certainly not what our pasengers deserve and expect. While weather always plays a factor, the fact of the matter is DAL has had explosive growth in JFK and ATL yet we've failed to properly staff these operations for some time and its finally showing up in the DOT numbers. DAL in JFK went as far as cancelling all below-wing contracts with other carriers due to the staffing issues. I know October (81%ontime) and November has been much improved with regards to ontime, yet there still is much to be done if we're to run a safe and ontime operation for our valued customers.

To be fair, LCC's mainline on time in October was 75%. versus 81% for mainline Delta. Neither numbers are great, just used as a reference point.

To be fair the traveling public doesn't care who operates the aircraft Comair or Delta, US Airways or Republic. It says US or DL on his ticket.

Great, than we can both agree that LCC's on time was "worser" than Delta's. :up:

And what's with the whole "deltawatch" username? What am i missing?

Syndicated Airline Research
Airline Satisfaction
The Airline Satisfaction Study provides a benchmark for measuring retention rates, designing improvement initiatives, and comparing carrier performance on an annual basis. Passengers are surveyed regarding their overall satisfaction, as well as problems experienced. This study provides valuable feedback regarding the strengths and weaknesses of individual airlines. By capturing passengers' overall satisfaction with their airline carrier, J.D. Power and Associates continues to highlight relevant trends and insights to support industry participants in improving their performance.

2007 North America Airline Satisfaction Study

Overall Satisfaction

CO #1
DL #2
AA #3
AS #3
UA #3
NW #4
US #4

From an industry insider stand point ...... yes. :up:

From a customer stand point ...... no. :down:

Seems kinda silly to me, we're arguing over who's on-time performance sucks the least. :lol: :lol: :lol: As i already admitted, Delta has much work to be done to get our numbers where they need to be. Neither our employees and certainly not our customers are pleased with these numbers. We are working on the problem, along with the initiatives already in place at JFK, and with DAL taking over all ground-handling duties at ATL for ASA, the numbers have and will continue to improve. Time will tell.

Syndicated Airline Research
Airline Satisfaction
The Airline Satisfaction Study provides a benchmark for measuring retention rates, designing improvement initiatives, and comparing carrier performance on an annual basis. Passengers are surveyed regarding their overall satisfaction, as well as problems experienced. This study provides valuable feedback regarding the strengths and weaknesses of individual airlines. By capturing passengers' overall satisfaction with their airline carrier, J.D. Power and Associates continues to highlight relevant trends and insights to support industry participants in improving their performance.

2007 North America Airline Satisfaction Study

Overall Satisfaction

CO #1
DL #2
AA #3
AS #3
UA #3
NW #4
US #4

Thanks for the link. I've always had a great deal of respect for CAL. They, more than any other Legacy carrier, sem to always have their customers best interests at heart. And it always shows in the various airline rankings.

As this is primarily a DL story, on how ASA is worse than just about anyone else, we'll move it to the DL section, since it reflects on the parent carrier. It has little if anything to do with US.

Your welcome 777.
The point of my post was for Deltawatch to be careful when throwing stones.
What does Deltawatch mean anyway?

FYI. The primary architect of CO’s turnaround is now running the fleet/revenue team over at Delta.

brokenwrench,

CO seems to really have their act together. Which member of their team is now at DL?

Bethune may have been the face of CO's turnaround but the guy why put the pieces together was Glen W. Hauenstein.
His Bio is here. Hauenstein Bio

Delta's Big Bet on Foreign Flying

Grinstein picked up the phone and called an old friend, ex-Continental CEO Gordon Bethune, for whom Hauenstein had previously worked during a stint at Continental. "I told Jerry that Glen was as good as they came," Bethune recalls. "Jerry said, 'We're in bankruptcy. I don't think I can afford to hire him.' I said, 'Jerry, you can't afford not to hire him. He'll make you $30 million in his first 30 days. He's worth whatever you pay him.'" Grinstein ponied up the cash. "This is the last great airline turnaround left," says Hauenstein, who started in mid-2005. "I wanted to be part of that."

Latest posts

Back