Computer Virus Alert

Kyle

Senior
Aug 18, 2002
www.usaviation.com
I figured I would post this here. It seems to be getting very big over the last few days. Do not open it. I have attached a screenshot of what the email looks like.

Security firms issue new virus alert
#############
Anti-virus companies have warned of a new computer worm circulating through email that purports to be security software from Microsoft but actually tries to disable security programs that are already running.

The worm, dubbed "Swen" or "Gibe", takes advantage of a two-year-old hole in Internet Explorer and affects systems that have not installed a patch for that security hole, says Internet security company Network Associates.

The malicious program arrives as an attachment to an email pretending to contain a patch for holes in Internet Explorer, Outlook and Outlook Express and then mails itself off to addresses located on the victim's computer.

The worm also can spread over Internet relay chat and copy itself over shared networks, Network Associates said on Thursday.

When it infects a computer it alerts a website that appears to be counting the infections, according to Symantec, another Internet security firm. The number of the counter was nearly 760 000 by Thursday afternoon.

Network Associates rated the worm a low risk for corporate users and a medium risk for home users. It and rival Symantec, among others, are offering anti-virus updates that detect and remove the worm.

Microsoft has cautioned customers in the past against email software updates, saying it directs them to its website for patches. -Reuters