What's new

Congress holds the key to future of USAF's Boeing C-17 fleet

Paul

Veteran
Joined
Nov 15, 2005
Messages
1,102
Reaction score
0
Congress has been handed the challenge of deciding whether the US Air Force will get more Boeing C-17 transports. Testifying last week, air force secretary Michael Wynne and chief of staff Gen Michael Moseley said the USAF could buy more C-17s if Congress would lift its prohibition on retiring older Lockheed Martin C-5 Galaxys.

Australia, meanwhile, has given the C-17 programme a lifeline, announcing plans to buy up to four aircraft for A$2 billion ($1.48 million).

Despite capping C-17 procurement at 180 aircraft with its fiscal year 2007 budget request for a final 12 transports, the US Air Force has told Congress its highest unfunded priority is the purchase of a further seven C-17s. “We are burning the C-17s up at an unexpected rate,â€￾ said Moseley, citing heavy use in Afghanistan and Iraq where the aircraft are being used as intra-theatre transports as an alternative to vulnerable ground convoys.

Flight Global
 
Back
Top