Continental fires US pilot suspected of drinking

Regardless of how you feel about this, drug and alcohol abuse or use before a scheduled work period is not tolerated in our industry. It doesn't matter if you use a Jepp chart or an AMM.

We've had mechanics fired for refusing a pee test on the job. One minute, you're half way thru a task card, next minute, a supervisor taps you on the shoulder as asks you to follow him. I would bet that this happens more often than anyone realizes, because most mech's don't keep up with what happens at other stations.

The company has even reported failure to test to the FAA in OKC, who according to FAR's must suspend/revoke his/her licence. And that doesn't matter if the test is positive or not, a refusal is considered a positive result. No trial, no civil/criminal charges.

At any rate, the penalties are the same, if you drive 'em or fix 'em, keep your ducks in a row.

Dave

“As I enjoy the semons.â€￾ By Istwhknight

By the way I don’t enjoy the “semons.â€￾ Whatever that means.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 11/12/2002 3:10:11 AM Obregon wrote:

“As I enjoy the semons.” By Istwhknight

By the way I don’t enjoy the “semons.” Whatever that means.

----------------
[/blockquote]
Excuse me for the typo ....sermons

[blockquote]
----------------
On 11/11/2002 9:10:54 PM CALFLYBOY wrote:

whtknight, just because you may not use alcohol does not give you the right to ridicule those who do. Did that pilot deserve to be fired? It's not for me to say. I am not close to the story. I don't know the facts. What I do know is someone like you with your narrow, self righteous opinion is tacky and undeserved. My opinion from my original post on this thread still stands. And no I will not be removing "cal" from my screen name any time soon. Remember, as I have already stated, we are all human, and as humans, we all make mistakes. Your first mistake is not seeing the grey area in this issue when you most likely don't have all the facts. This so called "new era" we live has given the company and the government license to eradicate certain job protections that were fought for by pilots previously. Your gloating about the situation is not necessary. And that is my point.
----------------
[/blockquote]
Noted....as for the grey areas being an ex-inspector I know all about grey areas.(I am no longer an inspector due to rifs in the company)

On 11/4/2002 4:01:31 AM lstwhknight wrote:

...say you have a buzz,and forget to put in "o" rings in all 3 engines on a DC10.It takes off and loses all its oil in all three engines and you have three engines shut down within minutes of each other and youre 1,000 miles out over the ocean.That crew managed to crash in the water in flordia off the beach.

Accuracy check: It was an Eastern L-1011 and it landed safely back in Miami on one smokin' engine, but it made it.

Seen a 737 land on a small prop commuter,everyone died in that one.

Accuracy check: I believe you are refering to a USAir 737 landing at LAX which landed on top of a commuter aircraft which had been improperly cleared to 'position and hold' on the same runway by the ATC tower, which was the party at fault. Also, there were survivors on the 737. Sadly, among those who perished on the 737, the cause of death was smoke and fire, not impact. They were not able to evacuate in a timely and orderly fashion. Perhaps because of alcohol consumption among the passengers??

Now back to our regular programming.