Contract Maintenance

fanlube

Senior
Aug 30, 2004
Contractor figured in Charlotte plane crash

3-22-05

By Taft Wireback, Staff Writer
News & Record

GREENSBORO -- The investigation at TIMCO marks the second time in as many years a negative spotlight is shining on a Florida contractor that allegedly put illegal immigrants into the aircraft-maintenance plant in western Greensboro.

The labor contractor, Structural Modification and Repair Technicians or S.M.A.R.T., also figured in the January 2003 crash at Charlotte of US Airways Express Flight 5481, which killed all 21 aboard.

see story

Note the beauty move - no where was U held accountable.

I've been intrigued by the Palace holding employees responsible for their actions, while management evades accountability.

diogenes said:
Note the beauty move - no where was U held accountable.

I've been intrigued by the Palace holding employees responsible for their actions, while management evades accountability.
[post="258452"][/post]​

This is the new model of corporate executives . . . farm out potential liability to chop shop 2nd, 3rd, and 4th party contractors hiring boobs and illegal aliens. Then when something bad happens it gives them plausible deniability. Still doesn't change what kind of character they really have, however.

Not to worry.....UAIR execs will have blood on their hands before you know it. They continue to travel on the road to ruin....It will be nobody's fault but their own.

The Beech 1900 that hit the hangar in CLT a few years ago was a "Shot across the bow" that CCY paid no attention to. It wasn't one hour after the crash that management was telling everyone to "Try not to think about it and lets get back to work." :blink: Meanwhile, 21 casualties lay within the wreckage :( .

That is the mentality of these blithering executive idiots :angry: May they ALL go to hell.

I am SO HAPPY to be unemployed :up: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is a pending lawsuit in the State of New York, which basically says,

A contractor or company, which sub-contracts out it's services, will be held one-half (1/2) responsible for any litigation or damages that may occur.

This would be a great victory for labor if something were to come out of this. No more can management wash their hands and claim it’s not their fault. Yes, it is…!!!

SL

The FAR's pretty much cover this already.They state specifically that the operator is responsible for the airworthiness of the aircraft.US is the operator of their aircraft.Therefore they are responsible for the airworthiness of said aircraft.

Unfortunately, not one airline has been held accountable for its accidents.

They blamed mechanics at ValueJet, subs in the accident at CLT and aircraft makers like Boeing in the TWA accident.

SL

Smartest Loser said:
Unfortunately, not one airline has been held accountable for its accidents.

They blamed mechanics at ValueJet, subs in the accident at CLT and aircraft makers like Boeing in the TWA accident.

SL
[post="258664"][/post]​

ValueJet was a cargo explosion, TWA was no accident

The ValueJet cargo explosion was caused by a third party maintenance provider that improperly labled and improperly secured a hazardous material. Let's place the blame on the correct party.

Back to the beginning of the post; the Be-1900 crash. Let me get this straight; the flight was contracted from UsAir to a commuter, who in turn contracted the maintenance work to a shop in W. Va ,if I remember, who in turn contracted the employees from S.M.A.R.T. Geez, doesn't anyone do anything anymore? Am I the only one sick of this contract everything out world we have now?

E-TRONS said:
Not to worry.....UAIR execs will have blood on their hands before you know it. They continue to travel on the road to ruin....It will be nobody's fault but their own.

The Beech 1900 that hit the hangar in CLT a few years ago was a "Shot across the bow" that CCY paid no attention to. It wasn't one hour after the crash that management was telling everyone to "Try not to think about it and lets get back to work." :blink: Meanwhile, 21 casualties lay within the wreckage :( .

That is the mentality of these blithering executive idiots :angry: May they ALL go to hell.

I am SO HAPPY to be unemployed :up: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[post="258471"][/post]​

I am a US Airways pilot and former Mech. I keep my A&P current and recently added the FCC lic. Because of the instability in this company I went back to school, online, and am finishing up a Masters in Aviation.

I did some research into this issue in some papers and I believe that
outsourced maintenance will be the burning issue of the near future and unfortunately it will come as a surprise to the general public. Some airline will "drop one" big time and it will be traced back to the outsourced third party provider. It may very possibly be an offshore provider. Jetb Blue is having maintenance done in El Salvador. TACA airlines is providing the certificate expertise but I have seen their one and only hanger which suits their small fleet
but will be swamped by many North Americano Airbus airplanes.

The people they hire will illerate and need to be closely supervised. It will go wrong eventually, if not in El Salvador, then somewhere else.

The FAA can't get onsite in many of these places and they don't have the manpower to monitor the repair stations in the US alone.

The Federal Tombstone Agency, read FAA, will only act when congress hauls its sorry carcus up on the hill for investigations.

Everyone thinks this is a good idea, because really when you get right down to it A&P Mechanics are just grease monkeys and anyone who can read can do the job.

Ya wanna bet your life one it?

Groucho,

I'm inclined to agree with you. Perhaps that's what it will take to end this shift to chop shops.

Not canisters. As BB said, it was generators. This difference is important.

The generators that were used in those MacDACs used a chemical reaction to produce oxygen, and a pretty significant amount of heat. The reaction was triggered by explosive caps installed at one end, which were triggered by lanyards pulled when the oxygen mask was pulled. With a bunch of those together in a box, it only took one of those lanyards to be pulled in order to start one of the generators.

Once that generator was going, the heat it produced was enough to start those around it (either by triggering the explosive cap or simply getting the chemicals hot enough to spontaneously start). In this "perfect storm" scenario, the fire that ensued wouldn't be smothered (as per the original design of the compartment) because it supplied its own oxygen.

In any case, calling it an "explosion" is probably inaccurate.

mweiss said:
Not canisters. As BB said, it was generators. This difference is important.

In any case, calling it an "explosion" is probably inaccurate.
[post="258897"][/post]​

Actually they are known as oxygen generators or oxygen canisters or oxygen generator canisters

Oxygen generator canister

Paragraph 2.D. of the Douglas MD-80 maintenance manual, chapter 35-22-01, provides the
following steps for disposal of the oxygen generators:
(1) No oxygen generator (canister) is to be disposed of until it is initiated and
chemical core is fully expended.

Oxygen generator canisters

But I would like to hear what the important difference is.

Latest posts

Back