Couple Sue American Airlines For 'cramped Seating'

TWAnr

Veteran
Aug 19, 2002
www.usaviation.com
May 14, 2004 (AIRLINE INDUSTRY INFORMATION via COMTEX) -- A couple from Cook County are suing American Airlines because they felt cramped during a flight to Paris, France.

In the lawsuit the couple say they were enticed to buy their tickets from American Airlines two years ago as it advertised generous legroom. However, they claim they were cramped during the nine-hour flight on board the Boeing 767 aircraft, and that they suffered back and leg pain. The couple complained about their seating, but were not permitted to move to roomier seats.

The couple are seeking more than USD100,000 in compensation and say the situation led to the man tripping at the entrance to the Basilica of St. Paul's in Rome, which resulted in him breaking his nose and teeth.

:rolleyes:

I hope you post this on our favorite web site TWAnr. It certainly will invite comment. If this goes to a jury trial I'm sure coverage will appear in the Enquirer and I can read about it as I stand in the check out line. Make up your own Enquire headlines.

LOL...it sounds like they got pissed off beacuse they were not upgraded (for free of course) to first class. Thats what it sounds like to me because it says "they we not permitted to move to roomier seats." I don't know any F/A who would tell anyone they couldn't switch seats in the same cabin if they were open.

It is time to stop catering to the poor habits of Americans. The seats have not gotten smaller and there are about the same number of seats in them as ten years ago...at least at U. I had a lady comment to me that the seats get smaller on the airplanes. I told her, "Ma'am, the seats are the same size as when I started 17 years ago, but American butts have gotten bigger." She laughed as I made sure I said it in a joking way. This is so trus. Southwest has it right on this one. :lol:

Winglet said:
These people are examples of what's wrong with the tort system. They and their shyster lawyer are hoping AMR will settle out-of-court quietly.

They are in for an expensive surprise. AMR does NOT settle anything, at least not right away, even if they know they are wrong. AMR, like the USA, does NOT negotiate with terrorists!

WingNaPrayer said:
They are in for an expensive surprise. AMR does NOT settle anything, at least not right away, even if they know they are wrong. AMR, like the USA, does NOT negotiate with terrorists!
I hope the judge throws this out in a NY minute. There should be a penalty for filing frivolous lawsuits.

MK

kirkpatrick said:
I hope the judge throws this out in a NY minute. There should be a penalty for filing frivolous lawsuits.

MK
I agree that this case is ridiculous. But playing Devil's Advocate for a moment, could the couple claim they bought their tickets in response to AA's ad boasting "More Legroom Throughout Coach" and therefore have grounds for mis-representation of product? Would that argument have any merit in court?

medr said:
I agree that this case is ridiculous. But playing Devil's Advocate for a moment, could the couple claim they bought their tickets in response to AA's ad boasting "More Legroom Throughout Coach" and therefore have grounds for mis-representation of product? Would that argument have any merit in court?
I'm not a fan of frivolous lawsuits (and I hope they lose), but this couple did sit in 19AB on the 3 class 763 prior to its conversion to 2 classes. For those who remember that row, it wasn't comfortable even if you had no legs. It was clearly the worst row of seats on any AA mainline jet.

Two years ago, because of an equipment substitution (763 subbed for the 738 we were expecting), my spouse and daughter were assigned to that hell-hole. Fortunately, a friendly FA noticed that it was just ahead of the exit and insisted that under-15 year olds could not be seated in that row and convinced the occupants of 17AB to switch seats with them.

The couple claims that they were suckered by the MRTC advertising and then were assigned seats unfit for midgets. I can't blame them for being pissed.

I would think that as long as there was more leg room than we used to that should qualify as more room right?

Then again, if some twit can get $3 million for hot coffee anything is possible.