Creditor's Committee seek adviser on (US Airways') Delta takeover moves

P.S. Clue or L4P, last night on landing in LaGuardia, after a 13-hour duty day, I had a thrust reverser not retract on landing. Can you tell me how would have handled this malfunction on a short runway after a long day?
Routinely, I suspect. Now, if the T/R hadn't deployed you'd just need a little more brakes. After all, the landing performance is predicated on no thrust reverse at all.

Don't tell me you thought that it was a big deal.....

Jim

Routinely, I suspect. Now, if the T/R hadn't deployed you'd just need a little more brakes. After all, the landing performance is predicated on no thrust reverse at all.

Jim

I know the both of you dislike each other, and that's fine. I think 320 made that comment to the NON PILOT group on here to have a problem after being on duty 13 hours into LGA. I knew that would bring a response from you...took longer then expected though. You and I know it's a "non-normal"...then again, LGA is a "non-normal"! You both bring good info to the board...just in different views and opinions.

Let's play nice in the sandbox....

Jim

I'd love to hear the FO's version of what happened last night........

I'd love to hear the FO's version of what happened last night........
My guess is if he haven't been chatting it up on the intercom with the pax pointing out all the sites on the approach he wouldn't have missed the runway and needed the T/R.

took longer then expected though.
Running errands getting ready for Christmas.....

You and I know it's a "non-normal"...then again, LGA is a "non-normal"
Well, there's routine "non-normal" and there's non-routine "non-normal". I'd put this in the routing "non-normal" catagory. If you really want to get into "non-normal", we can talk about ferrying out of LGA with #1 engine inop sometime over beers.

As for LGA, just another airport. Those 300 -500 hour wonders (which we all were at one point) fly in and out of there all the time....

Jim

ClueByFour and LP4,

P.S. Clue or L4P, last night on landing in LaGuardia, after a 13-hour duty day, I had a thrust reverser not retract on landing. Can you tell me how would have handled this malfunction on a short runway after a long day?

Yeah... I would place BOTH reversers in max reverse, then go fast enough to go back in time before I made the mistake of changing my major in college from something sane like psychology to the insane world of airline flying.

Print this article Close This Window
UPDATE 3-Creditor group urges Delta to weigh options
Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:32 PM ET

(Adds details on former Continental chief, paragraphs 6-8)

By Paritosh Bansal

NEW YORK, Dec 22 (Reuters) - A group of Delta Air Lines' creditors, including Deutsche Bank Securities and Lehman Brothers, urged the carrier on Friday to consider options besides its plan to exit bankruptcy independently.

Delta <DALRQ.PK>, which has been operating under Chapter 11 protection since September 2005, earlier this week filed a plan of reorganization that would see it emerge from bankruptcy as an independent carrier, and rejected an $8.3 billion takeover offer from US Airways Group <LCC.N>.

The carefully crafted comments from the creditor group, whose members hold about $2.25 billion in unsecured claims against the airline, suggest Delta should look at partnerships, indicating the No. 3 U.S. airline has not convinced creditors that its own plan is the best alternative.

The creditor group includes bondholders, hedge funds and other investors who banded together in an ad hoc group, seeking a greater say in Delta's future, soon after US Airways' Nov. 15 bid. The group is known as the Unofficial Committee of Unsecured Claimholders.

All unsecured creditors of the airline are represented by a nine-member court-approved official committee.

In a sign of its seriousness, the official creditor committee said that it wants to hire former Continental Airlines <CAL.N> Chief Executive Gordon Bethune as a consultant, according to a bankruptcy court filing.

Gordon would get $250,000 for every 10 days of service, the filing said. That would come to more than $9 million for a full year of service.

Bethune retired from Continental in 2004 after more than a decade at the airline. He is currently the chairman of Aloha Airlines parent Aloha Airgroup.

After Delta filed its bankruptcy exit plan, the official committee issued a statement similar to that of the unofficial committee, but the ad hoc group's comments are much stronger.

"(It) looks forward to analyzing carefully and discussing with Delta the proposed plan and the assumptions upon which it is based," the unofficial group's financial adviser, Jefferies & Co., said on its behalf. "It expects Delta to consider methodically, proactively and fairly strategic alternatives to its proposed stand-alone Chapter 11 plan."

Creditors holding at least two-thirds of the value of total impaired claims -- debt that will not be repaid in full -- must vote in the plan's favor for it to succeed. The bankruptcy court also needs to approve the plan. Delta assumes a total claim pool of about $15 billion.

Delta has repeatedly said it intends to emerge from bankruptcy as an independent carrier and hopes to get creditors to vote on its plan by February or March so that it can exit bankruptcy by spring.

But after Delta announced its reorganization plan on Tuesday, Chief Executive Gerald Grinstein said the airline would not want to be left out "if the process of (airline industry) consolidation starts."

The unofficial creditor group now has 17 members, up from nine on Dec. 6, according to its Friday statement. A number of members have been investors in Delta for years, said a person familiar with the situation.

The group is represented by the law firm Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison LLP. (Additional reporting by Robert MacMillan)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

© Reuters 2006. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content, including by caching, framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters. Reuters and the Reuters sphere logo are registered trademarks and trademarks of the Reuters group of companies around the world.

Close This Window

In a sign of its seriousness, the official creditor committee said that it wants to hire former Continental Airlines <CAL.N> Chief Executive Gordon Bethune as a consultant, according to a bankruptcy court filing.

Gordon would get $250,000 for every 10 days of service, the filing said. That would come to more than $9 million for a full year of service.

Damn! I want to be a consultant.

My guess is if he haven't been chatting it up on the intercom with the pax pointing out all the sites on the approach he wouldn't have missed the runway and needed the T/R.

Lets give the guy credit. At least he did not land at the wrong airport. AKA DELTA

Lets give the guy credit. At least he did not land at the wrong airport. AKA DELTA
you are right... great job a320... to handle a t/r stuck open on short final is amasing. i'm looking forward to the ntsb report. didn't know that could happen on a 320.

ClueByFour and LP4,

And the big deal about that is????????????

you are right... great job a320... to handle a t/r stuck open on short final is amasing. i'm looking forward to the ntsb report. didn't know that could happen on a 320.

There's a huge difference between a T/R deployed in-flight and one not stowing after use on the ground. The later is a non-event.

There's a huge difference between a T/R deployed in-flight and one not stowing after use on the ground. The later is a non-event.
thanks for the info . I was thinking that after a long crew day that this was a big deal. guess there won't be a ntsb report.

Except to 320. It is a validation of his importance to the universe, as demonstrated by his need to inform us of the event.

Back