Dallas Rep. Eb Johnson's View:

corl737 said:
Let us also not forget that, like the Wright Amendment, all laws and legal interpretations are subject to review and revision. Granted, some, like Supreme Court decisions tend to be more difficult to overturn than reactionary legislative acts.

It is only fair to let all possible scenarios play out in this issue based not on the past but what is best for today and the future. That's what every rational person wants though they're often not at liberty to say so. I have my own opinion based on what I (a full and immediate repeal!) but I'm willing to listen to what the other side has to say. They do have some valid points that must be considered and addressed in whatever outcome evolves.

Reps. Johnson and Hensarling had the courage to get the discussions moving. Every other bill has been an emotional shot-from-the-hip retaliation done without fully vetting the situation. I (amazingly) agree with Sen. Hutchison's idea of taking a good, indepth, unbiased view of the effects of a repeal. The studies performed by DFW's and Southwest's henchmen showed agreement that air fares would plummet in the metroplex. From there they diverged significantly illustrating the ability of either side to provide "proof" to support their cause. I also support the idea by Mitchell Schnurman of the Star-Telegram of holding public hearings to get a better idea of where the population actually stands on the issue.
[post="290135"][/post]​
Correct me if I'm wrong, but, I see Sen. Hutchinson's and Dallas Mayor Miller's recent statements as evidence that they see the writing on the wall about the ultimate demise of the Wright amendment. It looks like the grass roots efforts are beginning to payoff.

luver41 said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but, I see Sen. Hutchinson's and Dallas Mayor Miller's recent statements as evidence that they see the writing on the wall about the ultimate demise of the Wright amendment. It looks like the grass roots efforts are beginning to payoff.
[post="290172"][/post]​

I tend to agree with you. The powers in DC are leaning toward removing federal barriers to competition, all except Joe Barton that is. Rather than have a one-shot all-out repeal that would put the local market in chaos for a while Kay-Baby and Laura are positioning themselves for a more controlled phase out.

While my opinion stands favoring a complete repeal of the Wright Amendment -- AA and DFW have had 27 years to "prepare" for airline deregulation -- I can understand the desire to keep things a little more under control. This will be especially helpful come reelection time. Both ladies can say:

To the Repeal camp: "I got you started with a partial repeal, reelect me!"
To the Retain camp: "I prevented an outright repeal, reelect me!
:down:

I'd also like the Wright Amendment repeal to be in the same bill repealing the perimeter restrictions applicable to Regan National Airport, too. That bill would have some big-time support!

The compromise offered by Hutchinson and the comments made by Miller are a way of interjecting local control back into the debate. Miller realizes the City is powerless against WN because of previous court rulings. However she also realizes that not asserting the city into the resolution of the issue leaves the city with no way to bargain with WN or the rest of the airlines that offer service from DAL in the event of a WA repeal.

Hutchinson if she is able to legislate her compromise knows that conditions are part of any compromise and that she might be able to insert conditions to prevent further expansions by WN or any other airline at DAL.

The fight is far from over.

Human Freight said:
The fight is far from over.
[post="292142"][/post]​

You can be sure that's right! At least it will be entertaining to watch the camps come out with new and interesting ways to skew the facts toward their views.