Data on Delta Tell a Troubling Tale

Bear96

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
USA Today Article

:shock:

In the almost 14 months since Delta Air Lines declared bankruptcy, it has been on a desperate, breakneck drive to remake itself. It has canned Song, its low-fare service; slashed its domestic route network; dumped more than 120 planes; embarked on a massive international expansion; and, lately, declared itself on the way to recovery. It even giddily reported a modest quarterly profit last week.

What Delta won't tell you, however, is that it is currently the least-reliable, most-delayed, most-likely-to-lose-your-luggage carrier in the nation. If you are forced to fly Delta a lot, you probably already know all that. But if you don't have to fly Delta frequently, you may have missed some of the chilling specifics of the carrier's operational morass. According to the monthly Air Travel Consumer Report released by the Department of Transportation (DOT) last week, Delta and its commuter vassals are now at the bottom of the on-time, cancelled-flights and lost-bag ratings.

In September, the latest month for which results are available, Delta finished 18th out of 20 carriers with a dreary 68.8% on-time rating. That's almost eight percentage points worse than the industry on-time average of 76.2%. . . .

Oh my. And I thought things were going so well at Delta, according to a certain poster here.

WT, your response?

Why do you care so much about WorldTravelers' response?

Is this the DL forum or the WT forum?

Allow me to respond. We're all so in WT's face because his posts are arrogant and he often come's to UA's board to either attack UA or passively aggressively tries to control positive news about UA.

Now i dont know what came first the chicken or the egg in terms of whether WT initiated the UA bashing or if he was provoked - i suspect it's the former. But, if you're going to post like WT does, then you should be prepared to get the same dose.

Many of us are just over here holding WT to past and present statements.

What does he do? He disappears and selectively reappears to quote DL generated press releases (how ironic considering his signature line) and then disappears again.

Whether you agree with me or anyone - I'd think you'd agree that it's a cop-out and that he can't take the heat. Of course this is just a message board so we all should put it in the proper perspective.

So - that's why everything is coming back to WT. Coming back to haunt WT that is.

Why do you care so much about WorldTravelers' response?

Is this the DL forum or the WT forum?
UnitedChicago answered your question quite well.

I see that you have only recently joined USAviation, so you are probably unaware of the history of WT during the UA Ch.11 years. WT appeared on the scene, apparently fairly reasonable at first, but it soon became apparent that his whole modus operandi was to belittle the UA employees about how pathetic it must be to work for an employer in BK; how being in BK, in and of itself, is a sign of inept management; what it must feel like waking up every day going to work for such a loser of a company; how DL was invincible and guided by the most brilliant management in the history of aviation; etc. etc. I don't know how far back the USAviation archives go, but if you are really interested, you might want to spend some time perusing his posts over the years.

As to why I "care" so much about WT's response? It gives me great pleasure to point out hypocrisy, especially from the loudest and biggest sources.

And UnitedChicago, WT was not provoked in the least. His attacks on UA started spontaneously and clearly satisfied some internal shortcomings in his psyche, giving him great pleasure while UA was in Ch.11 and DL was not. Alas, unfortunately for him, that is no longer the case.

For the record, I wish DL and its employees (except for WT, if he is one; that has never been quite clear to me) all the best through some trying times, and I hope they come out the other end happy, healthy, prosperous and relatively intact. It's a crazy business, but it can be a fun way to make a living. Good luck.