Delta Creditors Committee May Ask US Airways to Extend Deadline

USA320Pilot

Veteran
May 18, 2003
www.usaviation.com
Delta Panel May Ask US Airways to Extend Deadline (Update1)

See Story

Meanwhile, Wednesday's Senate Airline Industry Consolidation hearing had normal political overtones, but one key point often times over looked by the news media was a comment from the U.S. government's Executive Branch.

Accoding to the Arizona Republic, "An encouraging sign at the hearing, for those in favor of mergers, were the comments of Andrew Steinberg, an assistant secretary with the U.S. Department of Transportation. He repeatedly downplayed the doomsday scenario Delta was trying to paint, although not commenting specifically on the proposed Delta/US Airways deal. "There's no one-size-fits-all way to view airline mergers," he said. "I think we have to keep an open mind to any and all proposals."

If the creditor's committee sides with US Airways...Congress will have no say in whether or not the proposed merger would poroceed, which makes comments like those made by Steinberg more important to consider when handicapping whether or not the merger will happen.

See Story

Regards,

USA320Pilot

As time runs out, Delta, US Airways woo creditors

U.S. Department of Transportation official told Senate committee that having fewer, larger carriers could result in more service to small communities

See Story

L.A. Says Delta's Plan Can't Be Approved

Los Angeles, Other Communities Object in Bankruptcy Court to Delta's Reorganization Plan

See Story

Regards,

USA320Pilot

As time runs out, Delta, US Airways woo creditors

U.S. Department of Transportation official told Senate committee that having fewer, larger carriers could result in more service to small communities

See Story

L.A. Says Delta's Plan Can't Be Approved

Los Angeles, Other Communities Object in Bankruptcy Court to Delta's Reorganization Plan

See Story

Regards,

USA320Pilot

Why don't you try looking to see if an article has been posted and discussed before you post it.

I know, I know, it is not official or accurate until YOU post it........

Parades before Congress, petitions, red buttons and hysteria will make no difference in the outcome. Employees need jobs and in the end they will go to great lengths to keep that paycheck coming in. Creditors understand that, the politicians understand that, and airline managements certainly understand that. So I highly doubt "employee unrest" is much of a factor to the Delta creditors. It will all come down to money...always has...always will.

L4P,

I started this topic by posting the Bloomberg article at 8:49 a.m. and then Elevation posted the column at 10:52 a.m., 2 hours and 3 minutes after my initial post.

Click here to view Elevations's post and the time the topic was started.

Separately, I believe Aquagreen73s comments are accurate, especially since it appears not only the DOT, but the DOJ supports industry consolidation too.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

L4P,

I started this topic by posting the Bloomberg article at 8:49 a.m. and then Elevation posted the column at 10:52 a.m., 2 hours and 3 minutes after my initial post.

Click here to view Elevations's topic and the time the topic was started.

Separately, I believe Aquagreen73s comments are accurate, especially since it appears not only the DOT, but the DOJ supports industry consolidation too.

Regards,

USA320Pilot
B.O.B

That only one. How about the other three repeats?

Do us a favor and lay off for a while.....very few people here care what you believe.

L4P,

L4P said: "B.O.B That only one. How about the other three repeats? Do us a favor and lay off for a while.....very few people here care what you"

USA320Pilot comments: I find it interesting that a grown man needs to purposely mispronounce a persons name or attempt to inult them. When would now be a good time to grow up? I believe it would be in US Airways' best interest to ban you from ever flying as a passenger on a New Delta or US Airways aircraft. In regard to laying off, since you hate US Airways so much why don't you spend your time doing something else instead of posting on this message board? You're clearly uninformed and instead of "very few people caring what you say," I believe virtually nobody cares what you have to say! :up:

Best regards,

USA320Pilot

L4P,

L4P said: "B.O.B That only one. How about the other three repeats? Do us a favor and lay off for a while.....very few people here care what you"

USA320Pilot comments: I find it interesting that a grown man needs to purposely mispronounce a persons name or attempt to inult them. When would now be a good time to grow up? I believe it would be in US Airways' best interest to ban you from ever flying as a passenger on a New Delta or US Airways aircraft. In regard to laying off, since you hate US Airways so much why don't you spend your time doing something else instead of posting on this message board? You're clearly uninformed and instead of "very few people caring what you say," I believe virtually nobody cares what you have to say! :up:

Best regards,

USA320Pilot

Flew US this week so you have to put up with me for a while longer..... Met a fellow US 320 pilot in LAS as a matter of fact who flys with you. Couldn't type here what he thought of you, BTW. If you think what I post here is an insult, the folks here would really like to hear what he said. But then I don't post what other people tell me as a fact like YOU do......

I will continue to counter you on every post the you make that is duplicate, posted with erroneuos information, or when your opinion runs counter to mine. Get used to it or over it.

I'm not hiding behind a key board as you like to say when some one disagrees with you. Are you hiding behind a key board with your multiple screen names?

OK, boys. Lets keep the testosterone in check. 320, I know you two actually are good friends so I know you dont really want L4p banned. Anything can happen and although its not looking as positive as it once did if we did become the new Delta, we would welcome L4p aboard with a predeparture drink and some chocolate Biscoffs! Mama

L4P,

L4P said: "I will continue to counter you on every post the you make that is duplicate, posted with erroneuos information, or when your opinion runs counter to mine."

USA320Pilot comments: Great! Guess you will not have much to talk about! :D

Best regards,

USA320Pilot

especially since it appears not only the DOT, but the DOJ supports industry consolidation too.
It's something of a stretch to make the jump from the DOT representative's testimony to believing that the DOJ supports consolidation.

First, the DOT probably has less influence on whether this merger will pass than Congress since they only "advise" on the merged company's fitness to operate an airline. That is not in doubt here.

The DOJ, on the other hand, only cares about anti-trust issues (read that as consumer issues) when a merger is proposed. They could care less whether or not there is consolidation beyond those anti-trust issues.

And Congress? While it has no formal role in mergers (airline or not), make no mistake that the DOJ is very aware of where their budget money comes from. Enough members of Congress on one side, or even a few powerful members, and DOJ will pay attention.

Jim

It's something of a stretch to make the jump from the DOT representative's testimony to believing that the DOJ supports consolidation.

First, the DOT probably has less influence on whether this merger will pass than Congress since they only "advise" on the merged company's fitness to operate an airline. That is not in doubt here.

The DOJ, on the other hand, only cares about anti-trust issues (read that as consumer issues) when a merger is proposed. They could care less whether or not there is consolidation beyond those anti-trust issues.

And Congress? While it has no formal role in mergers (airline or not), make no mistake that the DOJ is very aware of where their budget money comes from. Enough members of Congress on one side, or even a few powerful members, and DOJ will pay attention.

Jim

Outstanding points as usual Jim, but I'll counter with this:

(i) Charlie Wrangle his Ways and Means committee is more interested in Iraq than Delta. It's a nuclear weapon he holds, funding, and I doubt very seriously Charlie would be inclined to make a political issue out UAir/DAL.

(ii) The parade before the Senate was a token showing by the politicos of interest and concern for the constituents and pundits (nothing new there);

(iii) Just a guess, but I suspect a high level administrator in the Executive Branch would not step out and say anything which later might conflict with another high level administrator in the Executive Branch. Bush already is so beleagured. I doubt the White House would be very friendly to either the DOJ official or the DOT official if the media started making more out of conflict between the two departments over the UAir/Dal circus. It's just a guess, but I would suspect that the "thoughts" which the DOT guy went on record saying before the senate was first floated past a few DOJ people over a lunch in Georgetown.

Bottom line, the information being reported is nothing more than juicy hyperbole that is given a lot more credit than what it's worth. Nothing is coming from the creditor's committee - until possibly today when we found out there might be a request for an extention and that there is (not suprisingly) a brewing controversy over a conflict of interest within the committee itself.

You're definitely right about this being all nothing but speculation on lot's of people's part.

The DOJ won't even be involved until/unless a merger passes muster with the unsecured creditor's committee, anyway.

As for Congressional pressure, though, I did notice that the DOT's "re-interpretation" of the foreign ownership law (which Bush was in favor of) died a pretty quick death due to Congressional resistance.

Jim

As for Congressional pressure, though, I did notice that the DOT's "re-interpretation" of the foreign ownership law (which Bush was in favor of) died a pretty quick death due to Congressional resistance.

Jim
[/quote]

I didn't see that but thank God. I have a feeling that our decade long orgasmic love affair with NAFTA, free trade, and outsourcing is now butting up against the domestic realities and consequences of those insane policies.