Delta Exec A Virgin

rah757

Jan 12, 2003
Branson woos Delta chief for US carrier
By Caroline Daniel in Chicago
Published: February 22 2004 22:33 | Last Updated: February 22 2004 22:33

Sir Richard Branson is in final discussions with Fred Reid (pictured), president and chief operating officer of Delta Airlines, about the vacant post of chief executive of Virgin USA, the British entrepreneur's new low-cost carrier.

The appointment of such a senior figure in the US airline industry, once tipped as the next chief executive of Delta, would be a coup for Sir Richard, who has been keen to set up a US airline for the past five years.

It is also an indication of how far momentum in the US is moving from legacy airlines to low-cost carriers. Virgin USA could begin operations early next year.

The talks, which are understood to centre on contract terms, began in December after Mr Reid, 53, was passed over as chief executive of Delta when Leo Mullin resigned abruptly. The job went to Gerald Grinstein, a 72-year-old airline veteran and Delta board member. Mr Reid could leave Delta as early as April 15th, according to people familiar with the situation.

Mr Reid has considerable experience in the airline industry. He joined Delta in 1988 as head of marketing and became president and chief operating officer in May 2001. Before joining Delta he was the first American to lead a big non-US airline, serving as president of Lufthansa when the airline was privatised.

His international expertise, especially in forging airline alliances, could be useful to Sir Richard in knitting together his global airline assets, which include Virgin Blue in Australia and Virgin Atlantic.

Virgin declined to comment on the appointment. Virgin USA, which is expected to make an announcement within the next month, is also deciding between San Francisco, Boston and Washington as the location for its headquarters.

However, there is considerable uncertainty about the business model because the US is already a highly competitive market. There are also concerns about the ownership structure. Under current regulations, Sir Richard cannot control a US airline or control a majority stake.

It seems Sir Richard Branson, doesn't want the unions to invade Virgin USA! The only thing Delta CEO's are truly good at is...keeping the unions out!

I think that this would be interesting, because I was under the impression that Grinstein was a temporary stop-gap guy. If Reid leaves that might be who DL was going to tap for CEO. Or maybe Reid is playing one against the other for more money? I guess we will find out in the next 4-6 weeks.

Originally posted by bramafear
I think that the Delta management is a bunch of idiots, I am sorry to say. Being in Atlanta, I know the impact their demise will be for our city, but Gov officials are clueless, so that makes it okay -- I guess.

There is no business plan that I know of to move this company forward. It is a shame that the once, almighty, PanAm may face the dust heap of time because of their inability to be creative and prosper.

Been there, done that....

But my observations tell me that the utter stupidity of GWB & Homeless Security has put the entire airline & travel industry in suspended animation.

Case in point: Even though most joke about the population resembling cattle in many instances, there are some that refuse to be treated like cattle. Anybody, and I do mean anybody with a BLUE US Passport should pass through the bozo brigade immediately for domestic flights. If it is good overseas, why the heck not at home?

Therefore, the hell with it!

The moral of the story, folks, is that all the wasted time and bad experiences don't added up to customer satisfaction; therefore, they have changed their mode of transportation that eliminates it and allows them to have the freedom of choice to do whatever the hell they want to do... and they are doing just that with their Winnebagoes, plus their trusty cars in tow ;)

Simply, airline travel is losing it's value. In that case, the boys need to be more creative and add value back. Cheap discount faires was a short-term fix, but it tends to cut deep into long-term planning and execution.

Examples: Jet Blue & Hooters Air

Jet Blue is the only airline that requires there senior mgmt to fly with their customers on selected flights.... outstanding idea! Live it, breathe it, fix it on the spot!

Hooters Air? Now, that's gonna be interesting to see if TA really sells seats....hehehehhhehehhheeee.

Personally, I would like Mr. Bush to experience at least one of these scenes after his exit from the WH for his sins:

Hanged in Crawford, TX like Mussolini in Piazzale Loreto in Milan on public display.

or better yet...

Chef Quote:

"Almighty, almighty.. this is PBR streetgang, do you copy?"

Unfortunately, he lost his head after that transmittion :(

After machete practice, Willard backs out in the middle of river to watch the fireworks provided by a B-52 ArchLight strike. Probaly, not a river nearby Crawford, but B-52s have an awesome reach :)

Willard asks a soldier with a grenade launcher in hand:

All dazed and confused the soldier replies, "Yeah...".

Here's the crew:
http://www.highflight.com/nss-folder/class...on/B52_AAUA.jpg

Latest posts