Delta pilots say he! no ...

deltawatch

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
www.usaviation.com
Delta pilots' union opposes US Air buyout bid
Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:42pm ET

NEW YORK, Jan 12 (Reuters) - The pilots' union of Delta Air Lines (DALRQ.PK: Quote, Profile , Research) reiterated its opposition on Friday to a takeover of the bankrupt airline by rival US Airways Group (LCC.N: Quote, Profile , Research), saying it had committed $15 million :D to the effort to ensure the bid fails.

http://yahoo.reuters.com/news/articlehybri...News&rpc=44

NEW YORK, Jan 12 (Reuters) - The pilots' union of Delta Air Lines (DALRQ.PK: Quote, Profile , Research) reiterated its opposition on Friday to a takeover of the bankrupt airline by rival US Airways Group (LCC.N: Quote, Profile , Research), saying it had committed $15 million :D to the effort to ensure the bid fails.

ME..Me..Me...ME!! :down: WakeUp Delta Employees! Delta Pilots Are NOT Looking at Anyones Interest But Their Own!! Always Have and Always Will!!PERIOD!!

Oh brother, "Moaks needs to get a life"!! Now, more Kool-aid please!

I'm not sure they could outright kill any deal, but they could give the unsecured creditors something to think about. To borrow Gilding the Lily's comment that the 16% of claims that the members of the unofficial unsecured creditors committee are supposed to hold gives them influence, the same goes for the 14% or so of claims that the pilots really do hold.

Jim

We've known all along the DL pilots are oppossed to this deal. I imagine if the deal was worth 20 billion, they'd still be oppossed. But I imagine he other creditors are going to jump on board unless something happens with NW.

I wonder how the DL pilots feel about a NW merger?

Wow! At least they(DAL Pilots)know how to structure a deal, even in bankruptcy. What did we at U get...a swift kick in the n@%s! I guess that is the difference in them (a united and stand tough group) and our chicken poo group of scared old men. It makes me sick at my stomach every time I think of it.

Interesting how our "expert" in the know isn't commenting on this one. You are right auto, the cowards who folded like a cheap suit and are still alive and well, especially in CLT, should take a lesson from the DAL boys.

But they won't.

The Delta pilots have asked ALPA International for $10 million from the Major Contingency Fund to help defeat the merger, but I believe they will have their request denied.

What else is Delta ALPA going to say? They have a larger widebody fleet that they do not want to share with US Airways pilots, the merger plan calls for a 10% reduction in ASM's, and US Airways pilots have more tenure. Even though US Airways says there would be no pilot furloughs I believe there would be short-term stagnation for the Delta pilot group.

However, would the Delta pilots change there tune if the company is fragmented, which is becoming increasingly likely? Would they be upset if instead of being offered job with ALPA seniority integration procedures due to the merger or instead being offered preferential hiring, like Delta offered the Pan Am pilots in their framgentation?

With that said, it is my understanding that US Airways' "exeuctive suite" believes the merger could add $1 billion in annual profits and instead of US Airways earning $500 million this year, earnings could grow to $1.5 billion per year with the merger.

That's a big number if it can be obtained.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

What else is Delta ALPA going to say? They have a larger widebody fleet that they do not want to share with US Airways pilots, the merger plan calls for a 10% reduction in ASM's, and US Airways pilots have more tenure. Even though US Airways says there would be no pilot furloughs I believe there would be short-term stagnation for the Delta pilot group.

Oh come on now USA. You know as well as I do that if this merge takes place, the DL and US pilots will follow ALPA merger policy which happens to state that no group will experience a windfall at the expense of the other. You already knew that though didn't you? In other words DOH isn't going to happen. Secondly you would see fences set up to prevent the immediate shuffling of pilots which would create a ridiculous training backlog and increased training expenses. These fences could last several years. In that time the US pilot ranks will be thinned greatly due to retirements. It in unlikely that any current US pilot would see much benefit from this merge in the form that you suggest.

However, would the Delta pilots change there tune if the company is fragmented, which is becoming increasingly likely?

I have asked you on several occasions to provide us some proof of your assertion. You continue to conveniently ignore that question. You have in the past mentioned ALPA higher ups. Add some credibility USA320. Who are these that you refer to?
Delta as a whole is worth more than its parts and selling parts of DL to other carriers would only serve to strengthen your competitors, something US cannot afford. UA has already approached DL with the suggestion of a UA/DL merge if it feels the US merge is inevitable. It is my bet that the discussions are similar with NW.

Luv2fly,

I never reveal a source when something is told to me in confidence. To do so would violate their trust and confidence, which I will never do.

It does not take a rocket scientist to understand Delta is in play and its future is in doubt.

Will it be fragmented? I do not know. Maybe, maybe not. Is it being discussed by the financial community and the "heavy hitters"? Absolutely!

In fact, I strongly believe that the Delta ALPA position is increasing the odds the company could be "chopped up", which not only gets rid of labor unrest, but antitrust issues too.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

PineyBob,

PineyBob said: “My boss's Brother is a Sr (as in VERY senior) DL pilot and in speaking with him, I get the distinct sense that the DL pilots are prepared to take the "Hit" and risk fragmentation rather then surrender one dime more either through loss of seniority or loss of pay.â€

USA320Pilot comments: PineyBob, I agree with you, which is why many people believe the odds of a fragmentation are increasing. US Airways’ offer appears to have the backing of Gordon Bethune and has put even more pressure on Delta’s “executive suiteâ€. Today in a column titled “is Delta Nearly Done†Motley Fool writer Tim Beyers said, “With each passing day, it becomes increasingly likely that Delta Air Lines, the nation's third-largest carrier, will soon be no more.â€

“It seems likely to me that, with all the options creditors have been given, the least attractive is an independent Delta. And that's sad. Delta is a proud carrier with an excellent tradition that goes back as far as any of its peers. Yet not even tradition can change the brutal reality that it participates in an industry that's been flying low for far too long. Creditors, rightly, are finally demanding higher altitudes,†Beyers noted.

See Story

Regards,

USA320Pilot

Latest posts

Back