Delta Q3 Numbers

[blockquote]
----------------
On 10/15/2002 9:35:17 AM G4G5 wrote:

727's stay
----------------
[/blockquote]

The 727's are going too...that was announced previously. Of course, the last retirement date may change depending upon demand. DL still has planes stored in the desert and 2 738's leased to WestJet plus some 727 routes will be replaced by RJ's.

My question is what is going to happen to the routes that the MD-11 currently fly on. I know that ATL-NRT is operated with the MD-11 and DL can't operate the 777 on the route becuase of insurance purposes. I would alos be interested to find out what will happen to all of the trans-atlantic flights te MD-11 operate? Will they be axed? If there are no more mainline deliveries how can these routes be replaced with 777 or 767 if there are no spares? I think it is stupid on the part of DL to axe the market that is currently making the most money for them.

I was involved in the deliveries of ships 803 and 804. Anytime I see an MD-11, I've gotta look for the tail number. There's nothing like that new airplane smell. Wonder if they'll wind up at FedEx?

ATl-NRT is to far for a 767-300ER so there are only two logical outcomes. DAL says goodbye Tokyo or a pair of 777 fly the route. I think DAL 777 will fly to Asia. Remember, DAL is no longer flying ATL- RIO or Buenos Airs. That is 2 planes per route,since they stay on the ground down there all day, or 4 more planes flying to Europe. This and some 763ER's doing domestic duty will replace the MD-11's going across the pond. I think DAL should look into leasing or acquiring more 777, there are some UA available, apparently Pakistan airlines wasn't interested in them, since they need big airplanes for Europe. There have to be some Rolls powered 777 available somewhere. ATl though will always be the first priority.

Didn't DAL make a deal with FedEx to take the NRT slot's. Leo may feel that leasing FedEx the additional ATL-NRT slots will generate more $$$ then flying them.

My initial interpretation of the press release was that, as the MD-11's are retired, 777's will be shifted to the routes that are too long for a 763 to handle (ATL-NRT is the only current one that comes to mind), and 763's will operate almost all of the remaining routes, with narrowbody equipment being deployed on some current domestic 763 routes in order to make the 763's available for the international flying.

However, insurance issues aside (which I don't understand, since plenty of other airlines operate 777's to Asia, and even over the Pole), it is equally plausible that DL will abandon NRT entirely. With LAX, PDX, and the brief attempt at JFK service gone, not to mention NGO, KIX, FUK, and SEL, DL doesn't have a meaningful presence in Asia anymore. One token flight a day might be a waste of resources that could be used more productively on relatively lucrative service to SkyTeam hubs in Europe (CDG, MXP, etc.).

Then again, if DL were to codeshare with NW, an ATL-NRT route to feed NW's Asian hub would make sense...it will be interesting to see what develops...

DAL shouldn't abandon Asia. Unfortunately Leo gave up LAX /JFK to NRT to AA. It will be difficult to replace these when the market does come back, DAL did fly LAX to NRT for nearly 10 years. Tokyo can be supported from ATL and should be flown. If DAL can establish ATL as as Latin American gateway then its international aspirations are more then just Europe, which itself would be a respectable int'l opertation. Tokyo is the most important airport in Asia and Delta should never think of giving up on it, it should think of how to expand back to Japan.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 10/16/2002 8:30:20 AM JFK777 wrote:

DAL shouldn't abandon Asia. Unfortunately Leo gave up LAX /JFK to NRT to AA. It will be difficult to replace these when the market does come back, DAL did fly LAX to NRT for nearly 10 years. Tokyo can be supported from ATL and should be flown. If DAL can establish ATL as as Latin American gateway then its international aspirations are more then just Europe, which itself would be a respectable int'l opertation. Tokyo is the most important airport in Asia and Delta should never think of giving up on it, it should think of how to expand back to Japan.
----------------
[/blockquote]

DL really had no choice but to abandon LAX-NRT and JFK-NRT. Both routes were tremendous losers...costing DAL millions each month. LAX-NRT had always been a struggle, but used to breakeven. However, the route was doomed with DAL's pull down at LAX. DL still has some presence in the market with the KE codeshare on that route.

JFK-NRT was a disaster from day one and probably should have never been launched. DL just lost bucket loads of money on this route. If the DL/CO/NW codeshare had existed when DL launched JFK-NRT, then maybe the route would have worked...though I still have my doubts as DL would be competing against NW's JFK-NRT and CO's EWR-NRT.

The only way AA can manage these new NRT routes is because of the JAL codeshare. Take that away and AA wouldn't fair much better. Unfortunately, DL got the lameduck Asian partner (KE) and has paid a price for it. The only Asian route I could conceivably see DL flying in the next 3-5 years is ATL-ICN...as a complement to KE.