Delta supports illegal immigration-Boycott Delta...

Status
Not open for further replies.
From what I recall, the Port Authority will be using hangar 17 indefinitely. 19 is still leased by UA last I heard, no idea what happened with 14, 12 is also used by the Port.

WorldTraveler said:
I know about the whole JFK hangar situation. I'm impressed that Tech Ops does as good of a job in NYC w/o one. It's no easy task.

I also agree that those who think DL's operation in Tokyo will shrink will probably be surprised. I have long said and still believe that DL can rescale the Tokyo operation to optimize connections for the size of the market but still have a viable hub even if a number of markets don't flow over NRT but instead on nonstops or potentially over other Asian hubs as part of future DL partnerships.

Also, don't underestimate the power of new technology aircraft to make new nonstops work that don't work w/ existing aircraft now.

Look back at what the 767 has done on the Atlantic and even the 777 on the Pacific I think you'll get an idea of what new aircraft like the 787 and 350 can do.
While i agree with your last point, example ATL-PVG will end up back on the 350, I still don't believe the yields are there for BKK/MNL/SIN non-stops. 

the hangar in JFK in't a big deal. Like I said just use the AA hangar, or here lately hangar 19 (PA/UA hangar). 
but one reason Delta traded hangars in Boston to was to get a hangar that can hold 777/330s. The now B6 hangar could only hold up to a 767. (I don't know if a L10 would fit or not) 

eolesen said:
From what I recall, the Port Authority will be using hangar 17 indefinitely. 19 is still leased by UA last I heard, no idea what happened with 14, 12 is also used by the Port.
Delta uses 19 sometimes also. I think they have been using it more than the AA hangars as of late. 

topDawg said:
And in all honesty I am a little shocked NW didn't also have a hangar in NRT for drop in stuff.
It's possible we did, and that it was shed in BK. We've certainly gotten rid of other real estate holdings over there.

I honestly don't remember, but I did work with an AMT in another station that had done a TDY over there, and could swear he talked about being inside.

That said, I'm pretty sure they had at least a couple of back shops? Maybe tires? You can probably confirm/deny that easier than I can, though...

NW had a stores warehouse, and perhaps some shops. But I don't recall any hangars aside from what ANA, NCA, JAL, and one of the FBO's had.

and again what is the reason that DL would invest in a hangar at NRT if DL was downsizing the hub?

if the mechanics managed to do what they needed to do for all of these years without a hangar, why add one now, esp. when DL's focus is shifting its growth focus to elsewhere in Asia.

Kev3188 said:
It's possible we did, and that it was shed in BK. We've certainly gotten rid of other real estate holdings over there.

I honestly don't remember, but I did work with an AMT in another station that had done a TDY over there, and could swear he talked about being inside.

That said, I'm pretty sure they had at least a couple of back shops? Maybe tires? You can probably confirm/deny that easier than I can, though...
pretty sure they have a wheel and brake shop. Talking about adding a few other shops for hangar support. 

eolesen said:
NW had a stores warehouse, and perhaps some shops. But I don't recall any hangars aside from what ANA, NCA, JAL, and one of the FBO's had.
Every time they needed space leased as needed AFAIK. 

WorldTraveler said:
and again what is the reason that DL would invest in a hangar at NRT if DL was downsizing the hub?

if the mechanics managed to do what they needed to do for all of these years without a hangar, why add one now, esp. when DL's focus is shifting its growth focus to elsewhere in Asia.
I have told you, line hangars don't mean a lot when it comes to a hub. For a long haul place like NRT even with just USA flights to hubs its completely logical to have the hangar. It is all about RON/RAD times(for the most part)

It also gives Delta a place in Asia to have a hangar. (ie, SEA-PEK has an issue so instead of going on to PEK they might fly on to NRT because of the hangar. Happens a lot with flights in and out of JFK (go to BOS))  

As you already said, when it's needed, there's usually someone willing to house a drop-in on a day rate basis. So why invest in real estate that will have an overhead cost whether it's needed or not?

eolesen said:
As you already said, when it's needed, there's usually someone willing to house a drop-in on a day rate basis. So why invest in real estate that will have an overhead cost whether it's needed or not?
Growing foot print in Asia for one. Same reason Delta just opened up a line station at AMS. Also generally if you are using someone else hangar a lot it might be cheaper to just lease a hangar. The same thing just happened in LAX not to long ago, DL was just leasing the high bay hangar as needed.....but it got to the point where it was being leased every day/night so Delta just took up a longer term lease on it. Saves money in the longer term. 

If NRT has a lot of RON/RAD time it makes sense to get a hangar so that they can do overnights/Achecks/drop-ins/ETOPS checks etc. 

I have long expected someone like DL or AA to lease hangar space in GRU just for that reason. Plenty of RON/RAD time.... 

There are a couple airfreight buildings next to the new LCC terminal at GRU, but no hangars that I recall aside from a couple older arch hangars on the south side of the field for FBO use.

Having a line station makes sense. A hangar? It's a nice to have when you're looking at less than 50 flights a day.

eolesen said:
There are a couple airfreight buildings next to the new LCC terminal at GRU, but no hangars that I recall aside from a couple older arch hangars on the south side of the field for FBO use.

Having a line station makes sense. A hangar? It's a nice to have when you're looking at less than 50 flights a day.
If you look you will find that BOS and CVG (10x) seems under utilized too.

But 8-10 US flights as well as the handful of intra-Asian flying (SIN/BKK/MNL/GUN/SPN/ROR) I see why they have a hangar now.

Of course we would need to know just how much Delta was spending on per-use hangar rental and what rental is now to see if it is worth it.   

dawg,
Neither DL or any other airline is going to lease a hangar based on potential diversions.

and the structure of a NRT non-hub operation is generally that aircraft do not overnight there.

Perhaps DL intends to do more overnight maintenance at NRT as it cuts some intra-Asia flying but it also flies in the face of outsourcing more maintenance to China, HKG, and other locations where outsourced maintenance is cheaper.

your theory could be right that DL simply is taking advantage of the opportunity to pick up a cheap hangar but they still wouldn't do it if there weren't work that could be regularly done there.

Dehubbing NRT defies that logic and even more so a hangar defies the logic of more outsourcing.

plz restate your arguments within the framework of outsourcing vs. inhouse maintenance as well as the future of the NRT hub as well as DL's SCHEDULED flight operations in various cities in Asia.

Status
Not open for further replies.