Delta Tells Employees To Shut Up In Japan

Of course the title is wrong; that's why the OP asked for it to be changed.

This isn't about representation or not, but the actions of DL during this crisis vs. NW during others are telling...

Yeah...........lets start bashing the company because some looney decided to run his pie-hole !

Besides , we all know how a story "Never" changes when passed along and I'm sure a union would have made everything aaallll Better !

This isn't about representation or not, but the actions of DL during this crisis vs. NW during others are telling...

What actions are telling? I was glad to see that they at least had some form of a briefing session... I haven't heard of AA or UA even hinting that they have a contingency plan...

Or are you referring to the fact they're still laying over crews while other airlines are flag stopping for a crew change? The logistics issue was discussed to some degree over in the AA forum, and so far, nobody has cracked that nut, so DL isn't alone on that one.

DL's ability to do that is compounded several times over because of the sheer size of the operation at NRT. Do they still have a crew base there? Don't they also own the layover hotel?...

Yeah...........lets start bashing the company because some looney decided to run his pie-hole !

That's not even what I was thinking of when I posted.

Besides , we all know how a story "Never" changes when passed along and I'm sure a union would have made everything aaallll Better !

A working agreement w/a union would at least provide a consistent framework to work within. That's simply not happening right now.

There are plenty of 1st hand accounts out there about how DL is dropping the ball (even considering the size/scope of this event).

What actions are telling? I was glad to see that they at least had some form of a briefing session... I haven't heard of AA or UA even hinting that they have a contingency plan...

See above. Some F/A's are being told they can drop their trips w/out penalty (discipline-wise), some are not. The contingency plan hasn't yet been made clear to those on the ground, other than having a "hot spare" at NRT ready to go.

Or are you referring to the fact they're still laying over crews while other airlines are flag stopping for a crew change? The logistics issue was discussed to some degree over in the AA forum, and so far, nobody has cracked that nut, so DL isn't alone on that one.

That's certainly crossed my mind, but you're right that DL's logistical issues are much greater than AA's or even UA's...

DL's ability to do that is compounded several times over because of the sheer size of the operation at NRT. Do they still have a crew base there? Don't they also own the layover hotel?...

They do still have a base there. Not sure if we still own the hotel or not???

That's not even what I was thinking of when I posted.

A working agreement w/a union would at least provide a consistent framework to work within. That's simply not happening right now.

There are plenty of 1st hand accounts out there about how DL is dropping the ball (even considering the size/scope of this event).

See above. Some F/A's are being told they can drop their trips w/out penalty (discipline-wise), some are not. The contingency plan hasn't yet been made clear to those on the ground, other than having a "hot spare" at NRT ready to go.

Former NWA f/a are still working under the NWA working agreement and contract language . So how has DL done anything that is different then what was done before? Not a question for you but for a NW f/a thanks.

That's certainly crossed my mind, but you're right that DL's logistical issues are much greater than AA's or even UA's...

They do still have a base there. Not sure if we still own the hotel or not???

IF former NW f/a's are still working under their old contract how is Delta doing anything different then what was done before under NW. ? I question the validity of this whole thread. Postings from 2 posters that have 3 post between them ? Joined on the same day? One that was NOT at the meeting and heard second hand ? Just makes me wonder.If a former NW f/a can answer the first question I would appreciate it..thanks

Meto--

FoF was not a contractual item, but rather a working agreement between the AFA and NW. In practice, it meant a consistent approach; something not not occurring now, according to F/A's on other sites.

I'd also like to hear from the poster that claimed to be in attendance, but I guess we'll just have to wait...

IF former NW f/a's are still working under their old contract how is Delta doing anything different then what was done before under NW. ? I question the validity of this w
hole thread. Postings from 2 posters that have 3 post between them ? Joined on the same day? One that was NOT at the meeting and heard second hand ? Just makes me wonder.If a former NW f/a can answer the first question I would appreciate it..thanks

Wow, guess I shouldn't have posted until I lurked for a while. ;)

Look, I was just trying to be the voice of reason. Was there a guy who was a complete Jackass? Yes. Was he there representing Delta? No. Absolutely not. You can't blame Delta for some gung ho dipshit with the brains of a turnip. Every company in the world has got a few of those. He DID NOT represent DAL or the tone of the meeting.

As far as the OP, even he seems to think the thread was a bad idea. So why is everyone up in arms?

BTW, I've said all I'm going to say about the meeting.

Wow, guess I shouldn't have posted until I lurked for a while. ;)

Look, I was just trying to be the voice of reason. Was there a guy who was a complete Jackass? Yes. Was he there representing Delta? No. Absolutely not. You can't blame Delta for some gung ho dipshit with the brains of a turnip. Every company in the world has got a few of those. He DID NOT represent DAL or the tone of the meeting.

As far as the OP, even he seems to think the thread was a bad idea. So why is everyone up in arms?

BTW, I've said all I'm going to say about the meeting.
Great reply..How did you figure this idiot was a DL south guy? Or was that a guess.

Great reply..How did you figure this idiot was a DL south guy? Or was that a guess.

??? I never said he was "Delta South", nor would I hazard a guess. For all I know, he didn't even work for Delta. I make it a point not to talk to people like that; Life is too short.

??? I never said he was "Delta South", nor would I hazard a guess. For all I know, he didn't even work for Delta. I make it a point not to talk to people like that; Life is too short.
Thanks for the clarification.It was the other poster that was not at the meeting that claimed he was a DL south pilot. Since you WERE there I was hoping you could clear that up....and you did. I don't remember wearing my id walking around the hotel so I was wondering how this person was identified.I guess I'll see for myself next week.

Trust Delta, good luck with that. I supposed Smokers should trust RJ Reynolds and all those guys that are dying now because they trusted Christine Whitman when she said the air was safe around ground Zero were right to trust her as well.

At least the Pilots have a Union, I would look for what their Union has to say to them first.

Trust Delta, good luck with that. I supposed Smokers should trust RJ Reynolds and all those guys that are dying now because they trusted Christine Whitman when she said the air was safe around ground Zero were right to trust her as well.

At least the Pilots have a Union, I would look for what their Union has to say to them first.
Well they are telling us the same thing Delta is telling us. Actually they are doing it together.

Imagine that; labor and mgmt. working together! Funny how DL says that representation will make that all but impossible for everyone else...
I don't think representation is the issue.

I will say that I have probably been on a dozen mainline flights over the past 2 months including 2 int'l flights and several of the domestic flights operated by PMNW cabin crews as well as passing through PMNW hubs. I always try to ask "So how is it working out working for Ma Delta" or something to that effect at the minimum and if time allows, dig even deeper.

I have yet to find a PMNW employee in my travels who would say they have noticed a lot of change working for DL. There have been delays because of mechanicals and operational issues involving both PMNW and PMDL aircraft and hubs - but none would have gone so far as to say that those issues were any different than what they experienced w/ NW.

They did express a clear preference for NW's Airbus equipment but also understand that DL offers them far more bidding choices by using DL's 767s and 777s.

I would on average rate the PMNW crews on par w/ service from the PMDL crews - with the exception of one PMNW crew that was flying to a destination and did not have a language of destination speaker onboard for the destination country.

PMNW's hubs are efficient and attractive - but so are DL's hubs including ATL (with the notably exception of JFK) which are both far more weather delay prone.

My point is that the more the merger progresses and the more I travel, the less differences between PMNW and PMDL.

I still can tell when I walk on a plane when I am flying with a LAX or SLC crew, for instance, and don't think that will change with NW.... but some of those might be as much about regional cultural differences Yet, I still like to know the heritage of people who have joined DL from a merger or acquisition - and there are still far more that are NOT original hire DL employees than are.

It's probably time to recognize that the merger in most employees' minds is finished... with the exception of the representation issues which leads to notable omissions in service such as the absence of the LOD FA above since the route in question was to an exclusive PMDL destination and NW had few LOD speakers for that language.

When I see PMNW crews quietly but gracefully offering free drinks and FC snacks on a 2 hr delayed flight on a PMNW aircraft originating in a PMDL hub using a PMDL cockpit crew due to multiple causes without assigning blame, then I know the new DL team is working together and in the eyes of the passengers - which is what counts the most - DL has formed one of the best airlines in the business.

It will be interesting to see what happens with UA and CO but I doubt we will see that level of cooperation at the same point in time post merger - and given that UA/CO have already started removing some of PMCO's service distinctives while DL is increasing service levels, it makes what DL has accomplished all the more notable in the eyes of the passenger.

Reactions: 3 people

Latest posts