Delta to hire additional 2,125+ F/A's into 2015

Glenn Quagmire said:
Did DL end the no immediate family hiring rule after the NWA merger?

BABABOOY said:
Delta up until the Pan Am acquisition didn't hire family members.
After 1991 they did.
AFAIK, the current policy just stipulates that a family member can't directly supervise another. Not too far off from what NW had at the end...

Glenn Quagmire said:
Did DL end the no immediate family hiring rule after the NWA merger?
. No . Before we had Anti nepotism. Started to change around Leo the idiot's time frame. Kev is right but Pilots in the cockpit and FA's are not covered .Chief Pilots and FA supervisors can not be in the same base with a family member though.

BABABOOY said:
Delta today announced the hiring of 325 F/A's for this fall with classes starting in the first half of September'14
and still working on final numbers "but it's safe to say we plan to hire at least as many (approximately 1800)- if
not more -new hire flight attendants in 2015 than we did in 2014." according to Joanne Smith  SVP IFS
Great to hear.  Luv hearing when the airlines are hiring...

jimntx said:
Back in May, 2000, I made it to Atlanta for an interview.  They wasted a non-rev seat bringing me over.  I'm not sure i would have accepted the job if offered.  When I walked into the interview room I extended my hand to shake.  The young woman who was to interview me looked at my hand as if I had just offered her roadkill.  And, I could hardly call it a face-to-face interview because she did not look up from her paperwork on me one single time during the entire interview.  The interview ended in about 10 minutes with her saying "that's all the questions I have" and she stood up and opened the office door (in a "you are dismissed" manner)..  No "do you have any questions?"  Nor, "We'll review your file and contact you."  Nothing.  As someone raised in the Deep South, I considered her manner extremely rude.

I think I must have been a what they used to call a "checkmark" interview.  One older worker.  Check.  One handicapped. Check.  Two minority.  Check.  Now, let's go to lunch and then we'll interview the people we are actually going to hire.   :lol:

Fortunately, American offered me an interview at DFW in June and offered me a position in a July training class on the spot.
jimntx said:
Back in May, 2000, I made it to Atlanta for an interview.  They wasted a non-rev seat bringing me over.  I'm not sure i would have accepted the job if offered.  When I walked into the interview room I extended my hand to shake.  The young woman who was to interview me looked at my hand as if I had just offered her roadkill.  And, I could hardly call it a face-to-face interview because she did not look up from her paperwork on me one single time during the entire interview.  The interview ended in about 10 minutes with her saying "that's all the questions I have" and she stood up and opened the office door (in a "you are dismissed" manner)..  No "do you have any questions?"  Nor, "We'll review your file and contact you."  Nothing.  As someone raised in the Deep South, I considered her manner extremely rude.

I think I must have been a what they used to call a "checkmark" interview.  One older worker.  Check.  One handicapped. Check.  Two minority.  Check.  Now, let's go to lunch and then we'll interview the people we are actually going to hire.   :lol:

Fortunately, American offered me an interview at DFW in June and offered me a position in a July training class on the spot.
. That was not uncommon back then. It is why most of the hiring practices and personnel were changed. People that didn't fit the DL profile didn't stand much of a chance.She wasn't being impolite when she didn't take your hand she was looking for tattoos etc and not very discretely . Just like when they ask a FA candidate to put something in the overhead bin to check their strength. It is also to check for visible tattoos . More professional and less obvious .If you were applying for a job outside of DFW and you were not presently living in the town that the job was in you were at the bottom of the list no matter what your qualifications were Unless you are flight crew. And as far as your comment about the minority hiring it would be just the opposite. Many people think that DL goes too far in the opposite direction because of their perceived southern roots. Not my opinion though.

I know the difference between tattoo checking and visible distaste. (I've done it myself when I worked in the oil business.  Tattoos were a no-no at Texaco in the 80's.)  What the interviewer displayed was visible distaste for the thought of shaking hands with me.

And as far as your comment about the minority hiring it would be just the opposite. Many people think that DL goes too far in the opposite direction because of their perceived southern roots. Not my opinion though.
your opinion is that DL doesn't go far enough or that other people's perception of what DL does is incorrect?

jim,
I am sorry that you were not well received in your quest to be hired by DL.

No my opinion is that DL is overly politically correct. Which is good one one hand and bad on thee other. Hire the best candidate in my opinion period.

Latest posts