Song Expands Out Of Jfk

Dizel8

Senior
Sep 9, 2002
Song Hits a High Note With New Coast-to-Coast Flying and Major Service Expansion from New York
Wednesday January 26, 8:03 am ET

Low-Fare Air Service Offers Distinctive Style and Amenities to Customers in Five New Destinations from JFK Including Los Angeles, San Francisco, Seattle, San Juan and Aruba

Joanne Smith Named Song President

ATLANTA, Jan. 26 /PRNewswire/ -- Song®, Delta Air Lines' low-fare, high-style air service, announced today a major expansion, nearly doubling its service from New York's John F. Kennedy International Airport with the addition of five new destinations. Song is adding significant coast-to-coast service, offering direct, nonstop flights with Song's low fares and unique amenities to customers traveling to and from Los Angeles, San Francisco and Seattle, as well as to San Juan and Aruba. Beginning May 1, Song will grow by one third, adding 12 Boeing 757s to its current fleet of 36, to facilitate the expanded service which includes 36 new flights by September 2.

"Song's growth is based on strong, consistent customer response to Delta's low-fare, high-service brand," said Jerry Grinstein, Delta's chief executive officer. "In less than two years of operation, Song has proven to be a hit with passengers, a highly-efficient competitor, and a successful test bed for new and innovative ideas. Song is playing an important role in Delta's transformation."

This expansion marks Song's commitment to both choice and convenience, with service to the most accessible airports for air travelers. Starting today, customers can book the following new nonstop service for travel on Song at flysong.com: * JFK to Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) - first flight takes off May 1 with seven roundtrips by June 18 * JFK to San Francisco International Airport (SFO) - first flight takes off July 4 with five roundtrips by Sept. 1 * JFK to Seattle-Tacoma International Airport (SEA) - first flight takes off July 4 with three roundtrips by Sept. 2 * JFK to San Juan's Luis Munoz Marin Airport (SJU) - first flight takes off June 18 with two roundtrips by June 19 * JFK to Aruba's Queen Beatrix International Airport (AUA) - Saturday service takes flight July 23

In addition to its service expansion, Delta has named Joanne Smith as president of Song. A 25-year aviation industry veteran, she previously served as Song's vice president of marketing and customers, playing a vital role in the creation and launch of Song, as well as the development and execution of Song's unique marketing strategy and customer service approach. Prior to joining Song, she was vice president of marketing and planning for DHL Airways, Inc. in Chicago and has held senior positions at several start-up companies.

"Joanne truly represents the Song spirit, optimism and creativity that have made Song an award-winning customer favorite and noteworthy low-cost competitor," said Paul Matsen, chief marketing officer and senior vice president of marketing for Delta. "Joanne led Song's efforts to successfully define and differentiate Song, changing what customers have come to expect from low-cost carriers by offering both the low fares and the extensive selection of creative and comprehensive choices they want and value."

Song's expanded service will feature the wide array of on-board amenities that distinguish its brand from other low-cost carriers. Song's in-flight entertainment system is the most innovative of any low-fare service, offering personal seatback video monitors that provide: 24 channels of live, satellite television; 24 channels of audio programming; digitally-streamed MP3 programming that allows customers to create individual play lists of 32 songs at their seat, from an inventory of more than 1,600 songs; 10 movies on-demand, allowing customers to start and stop the film at their leisure; 10 video games; and a popular interactive trivia game that allows passengers to compete against one another.

Song also offers a comprehensive onboard menu, featuring healthful, organic selections, as well as a few indulgences, including its signature cocktails -- shaken, not stirred. Last year, Song introduced an In-Flight Fitness program, developed exclusively for the low-fare service by fitness guru David Barton. The 15-minute workout is designed to decrease stress and fatigue and improve strength and flexibility -- all while burning calories.

"We are thrilled to expand our New York service and head west, bringing customers in these destinations low fares and coast-to-coast service at the most convenient airports," said Joanne Smith, president of Song. "Our unique amenities and options are unsurpassed by any low-fare carrier, including the most in-flight entertainment offerings, a delicious and healthy on-board food menu, SkyMiles accrual, and even conveniences like in-flight fitness. We want our newest customers to become our most frequent fliers."

Since its launch on April 15, 2003, Song has grown to serve 13 cities with more than 140 non-stop flights between primarily the Northeast and Florida leisure destinations -- including West Palm Beach, Fort Myers, Fort Lauderdale, Tampa and Orlando -- as well as Atlanta, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, San Juan and Nassau, Bahamas. Song currently operates a fleet 36 Boeing 757s, with 199 all-leather, all-coach seats. With the addition of 12 new planes and 18 new roundtrip flights, Song will provide travelers with a total of 176 daily nonstop departures by September 2,

This is great for the local JFK to LAX traveler, but last time I looked JFK was a major international operation for Delta? Are there still going to be 767 with Biz Elite going to the west coast from JFK for connecting internnational traffic.

It interesting to see the break out of different niches in this market, UA with its PS 757 service, Jetblue, and AA serving both the premuim and coach passenger. With the screen actors guild traffic between the coasts, where have all the big tivket buyers gone? Or is there now such great traffic at the low end ?

JFK777 said:
This is great for the local JFK to LAX traveler, but last time I looked JFK was a major international operation for Delta? Are there still going to be 767 with Biz Elite going to the west coast from JFK for connecting internnational traffic.

It interesting to see the break out of different niches in this market, UA with its PS 757 service, Jetblue, and AA serving both the premuim and coach passenger. With the screen actors guild traffic between the coasts, where have all the big tivket buyers gone? Or is there now such great traffic at the low end ?
[post="242667"][/post]​

One 767 with BizElite will remain for international connections, as will two aircraft with first class. Delta will have 7 JFK-LAX fligths each way.

Keep in mind that most businesses and individuals simply can't justify the premium for paying first or business class. They will gladly pay a bit more for nicer coach, which is what Song and JetBlue offer.

TheDog2004 said:
One 767 with BizElite will remain for international connections, as will two aircraft with first class. Delta will have 7 JFK-LAX fligths each way.

Keep in mind that most businesses and individuals simply can't justify the premium for paying first or business class. They will gladly pay a bit more for nicer coach, which is what Song and JetBlue offer.
[post="242799"][/post]​

Check the schedule. No more non-Song flights. 7 Song flights daily, nothing else. DL is waving a white flag, surrendering to AA and UA on transcons.

FWAAA said:
Check the schedule. No more non-Song flights. 7 Song flights daily, nothing else. DL is waving a white flag, surrendering to AA and UA on transcons.
[post="242888"][/post]​

At the time I checked there was still two Delta mainline flights in the res system with availabiility.

Actually Delta will put a hurting on AA and UA on those transcons. What will their business class really offer someone other than a nicer seat, and will it really be worth the extreme price premium that more and more businesses refuse to pay?

TheDog2004 said:
At the time I checked there was still two Delta mainline flights in the res system with availabiility.

Actually Delta will put a hurting on AA and UA on those transcons. What will their business class really offer someone other than a nicer seat, and will it really be worth the extreme price premium that more and more businesses refuse to pay?
[post="242896"][/post]​

I disagree with you that this move will negatively affect AA or UA.

Those airlines don't fly 11 3 class 762s or 6 3 class 757s (respectively) to try to cater to coach riff-raff like me. Those flights are flown to accomodate the SAG crowd who sit in F. To bring in extra revenue, they also sell coach seats at reasonable prices and then upgrade elite FFs to Business. Lastly, they sell coach tickets to non-frequent flyers who don't know that B6 offers a better product. B)

AA dominates this market with 71% share. And Song is gonna chip away at that when DL couldn't really dent it even with a premium cabin? Call me skeptical.

From what I have read on Flyertalk.com, I was under the impression that the majority of the the first/business class seats are upgrades.

Song will hurt B6 more than AA........as probably designed. I'd bet most Song customers will be native New Yorkers. While AA has a fair share of NY traffic, I believe they have the majority in LAX. Song nor B6 will take this.

I think that this move by DL/Song is strictly aimed at B6 and not AA. It is a battle of coach seat versus coach seat. AA and UA will still be out there looking for the FC and BC customers. Just my thoughts..........

bankernclt said:
From what I have read on Flyertalk.com, I was under the impression that the majority of the the first/business class seats are upgrades.
[post="242943"][/post]​

Did you mean on DL or AA and UA? Or on all 3?

UA and AA sell P (First on 3 class planes) to entertainment industry types who don't fly on private jets. And pay for it they do. I know people in the industry who fly AA in F between LAX and JFK frequently. I see celebs in F when I'm in J.

As I posted above, the Business Classes ARE full of upgraders from coach fares. But neither airline allows double upgrades. The only way into P without paying for P is to upgrade a paid Business Class fare or to redeem a mileage award into P.

And the coach cabins are full of infrequent flyers who don't know better or who don't really want to fly to LGB. They want to fly to LAX, and so they choose AA, UA or DL.

But since DL didn't have a 3 class service to begin with, DL was not able to compete for the Hollywood business anyway. And now, they are abandoning their frequent flying following; who's gonna want to fly Song to connect to DL's JFK int'l flights?

FWAAA said:
[snip]
But since DL didn't have a 3 class service to begin with, DL was not able to compete for the Hollywood business anyway. And now, they are abandoning their frequent flying following; who's gonna want to fly Song to connect to DL's JFK int'l flights?
[post="244148"][/post]​

Song's seat pitch is pretty much equivalent to Eplus on UA, except throughout the cabin (like the old MRTC on AA). It's one of the marketing challenges for Song. If they just brand themselves as a leisure product, people will assume that they have regular coach seating, rather than better than average seating. I would bet (but haven't seen any data) that unprompted customer awareness is better about seatback TV on B6 than it is about the legroom.

All the US carriers are still pretty bad about marketing their product.

I agree that Song is definitely preferable to AA's LRTC and UA's E-. It might even be almost as nice as E+.

FWAAA said:

Actually, there's no need to send those passengers via JFK when Delta can route them through ATL instead. Most of Delta's transatlantic destinations from JFK also have service from ATL, and many of the others have Delta as the only U.S. carrier serving them.

If you're flying transatlantic from LAX in coach, Song is a definite upgrade in service quality.

Latest posts