Dfw - Lax

I thought this might be AirTran's next DFW move, but AA will be a powerful competitor on the route as they have big hubs and FF bases on both ends.... I suspect AA will defend this vigorously.

funguy2 said:
I thought this might be AirTran's next DFW move, but AA will be a powerful competitor on the route as they have big hubs and FF bases on both ends.... I suspect AA will defend this vigorously.
I see, in AirTran's future, DFW-LGA .. especially before jetBlue does it (from JFK).

Well, you have to think DFW-NYC area is next on the radar.

I think AirTran will see a big response from AA. Remember how competitive AA was with Vangaurd on DFW-Wichita/Kansas City!

Its DL thats going to have to find a way to respond! AA is well positioned in this market. It tends to be the #2 and #3 that have the big battles. This will, of course, affect AA's revenue but I don't expect it will have a big impact on traffic.

I also agree with AAmech that this really won't effect American too much. They are very dominate in DFW. I think though as Delta keeps cutting flights and adding RJs everywhere you will see Airtran pick up where Delta left off.

There really is enough to go around in DFW for everybody. Yields will go down some but AMR and Delta can make it up some place else. :)

Until they run out of someplace elses.

But I think you're right about FL's picking up DL's capacity at DFW.

AA's response will depend on DL--if DL does something crazy AA will match--just the way DL and UAL responded to AA's buy 2 get 1 free aimed at Jetblue. They didn't want to, but they had no choice.

Hats off to Airtran. They beat B6 into town and WN must be kicking themselfs in the butt for not jumping all over those DFW gates. There was destined to be a large LCC at DFW and Airtran is the one. Even though DFW-NYC is fairly saturated, I expect Airtran to add a few routes soon to beat B6 to the punch.