DL adopts Saudi "No-Jew" Policy

The following link on DL's website doesn't help matters:

http://www.timaticweb.com/cgi-bin/tim_website_client.cgi?SpecData=1&VISA=&page=visa&NA=IL&AR=00&PASSTYPES=PASS&DE=SA&user=DL&subuser=DELTAB2C

To be fair, it's not either of the airlines' fault that the country has those requirements.

Anyone carrying an Israel passport have been barred entry into Saudi Arabia for the past 8 years.

http://www.timaticweb.com/cgi-bin/tim_website_client.cgi?SpecData=1&VISA=&page=visa&NA=IL&AR=00&PASSTYPES=PASS&DE=SA&user=DL&subuser=DELTAB2C

To be fair, it's not either of the airlines' fault that the country has those requirements.

So Delta then can dis the Jew through alliance?

Working in SA in 82, Augusta delivered an AB212 with an Israeli manufactured HSI. When it needed calibration, the SA Air force personnel that 'touched it' totally freaked out and were pi$$ed to no end.
JTT... :lol:

I think you missed a zero.
In 1982, people were ejected from SA for even having a stamp of of entry to Israel on their passport.
It's a 'country' requirement, airlines have no choice. :eek:

Yeah, that sounds about right. Publicity wise I have reservations with DL getting an alliance with them. In my opinion, it's not a good fit.

So if they are banned anyway what's the difference. Aren't Americans banned from Cuba?

The fact that Delta would allow this to go totally public, means that it is looking at the bottom line$$$$$$! Demographics prove that Mecca is a gold mine.

Required pilgrimage to a religious site in one's lifetime equals a hell of a future profit over a possible loss by a religious offense.

I don't like it, but I can see their reasoning and brown noses :p

Cathay’s female flight attendants ‘at risk’ in Saudi Arabia

The demand follows an incident last month in which a man tried to force his way into the hotel room of a junior Cathay attendant, Tsang Kwok Fung, general secretary of the Cathay Pacific Flight Attendants Union, said.

Last month, Cathay switched its layovers to Riyadh from the Gulf state of Bahrain because of political unrest that has swept across much of the region.

The union has now called for overnight stops to be moved to Dubai, part of the United Arab Emirates, but is yet to receive a “positive response” from management, according to Tsang.

“We will write to the government on this matter if (the airline) does not act swiftly,” he said. “The safety of our staff is of utmost importance.”

:eek:

Also, remember the horrible fiery crash at Jedda several years ago? The fire started because passengers were cooking on hibachi type stoves in the aisles. Is Delta prepared to allow this? Seems the pilgrims don't eat airplane food. Not (whatever is the Moslem equivalent of) kosher. No pun intended.

Also, remember the horrible fiery crash at Jedda several years ago? The fire started because passengers were cooking on hibachi type stoves in the aisles. Is Delta prepared to allow this? Seems the pilgrims don't eat airplane food. Not (whatever is the Moslem equivalent of) kosher. No pun intended.

Halal, same as kosher.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/Religion/post/2011/06/delta-airlines-no-jews-saudi-arabia/1?csp=hf

Airline to Jewish rumor: 'Delta does not discriminate.'
Earlier today some Jewish and Christian readers in the blogosphere were fired up about stories that Delta Air Lines, in its new alliance with Saudi Arabian Airlines, might wind up enforcing a Saudi policy of not admitting Iraelis and non-Islamic religious items like Bibles on their flights.

Delta spokesman Trebor Banstetter responded with its non-discrimination policy and posted on their blog:

So Delta then can dis the Jew through alliance?

Again, to be fair, any carrier in any alliance would have to apply the same policy.

It is also why some carriers avoid directly serving the country. Those who do are doing so eyes open as to the risks and PR landmines like this.

Honestly, I've never met anyone of Jewish faith who wanted to travel to SA. Most people I know who do business in the Gulf states insist on having their meetings in DXB or AUH, and Israel figured out long ago that not stamping passports is good for tourism...

For those who don't know (maybe you don't Eric), Timatic is a travel industry resource to verify documentation. It is not maintained by any specific airline, including DL, nor does the information reside with DL... you will note that the request is linked directly to Timatic which is a service of IATA. The link which you quote, Eric, specifically says "Information sourced and provided by IATA."
Other US airlines do not provide the ability to verify documentation for international traverlers using Timatic or other resources; DL provides it to minimize the number of passengers who book their own tickets yet are not aware of the travel requirements for each country.

Have you ever seen a hibachi or any other flammable device allowed on any US passenger aircraft, regardless of the point of origin? Not surprisingly, most other countries don't allow flammable devices onboard their aircfraft either. I would bet that Saudi Arabia has the same law too. now.

Again, to be fair, any carrier in any alliance would have to apply the same policy.

It is also why some carriers avoid directly serving the country. Those who do are doing so eyes open as to the risks and PR landmines like this.

Honestly, I've never met anyone of Jewish faith who wanted to travel to SA. Most people I know who do business in the Gulf states insist on having their meetings in DXB or AUH, and Israel figured out long ago that not stamping passports is good for tourism...
DL has taken a risk at including Saudi Arabian Airlines in the Skyteam alliance and by doing so, becomes the only US airline that will codeshare on flights nonstop between the US and SA.
But the documentation requirements have nothing to do with whether the flight is nonstop or not. ... airlines are required to insure that passengers have the correct documentation or face hefty fines.
If AA or any other airline checked in a passenger with an Israel passport and a destination of Saudi Arabia even if AA was only carrying the passenger as far as LHR or another carrier's hub, they would likely not board the passenger either.
The requirements have nothing to do with the Jewish faith. It has to do with the nationality of the passport holder.
Jews with a passport other than from Israel and who have no visas or entry/exit stamps from Israel are not affected.

Back