DL: Cash flow machine with fuel cost advantage

700UW said:
You just dont get.

Wifi with streaming is not an IFE system, there are no monitors, no screens, etc...

And if you dont own or rent a Wifl capable device you have ability to use it.
Actually it does come under the umbrella of IFE systems just BYOD (bring your own device). You are really clueless.

Josh

The trivia is fun. Nobody wanted to play on my last flight, so that was less than awesome.

I still contend the best IFE is a window seat, some ear plugs, and a good book or magazine...

Reactions: 1 person
WorldTraveler said:
Even if it doesn't work X% of the time (and I"m not interested in debating what the number is) it is still than many others have it at all..... I get the whole concept of unmet expectations which a non-working system can generate but again DL is replacing its IFE system - and of course part of the reason is that they are lighter.

Also, IFE systems do generate money.... there are people who buy movies and other paid IFE content on IFE equipped aircraft.
I haven't

I just think it's funny that someone who purports to post with such credibility on the subject of the DL inflight experience hardly ever experiences it. According to travelnet since April 2011 I have flown 114 segments on mainline and DL connection carriers, not including the interline jumpseat travel I took before my household was a DL employee household -- not trying to get into a d*ck measuring contest, I just want you to know that I am not someone who doesn't know what I am talking about so please don't talk down to me as if I don't.

Reactions: 3 people
The trivia is fun. Nobody wanted to play on my last flight, so that was less than awesome.

I still contend the best IFE is a window seat, some ear plugs, and a good book or magazine...
what? no community trivia on your flights?

I just think it's funny that someone who purports to post with such credibility on the subject of the DL inflight experience hardly ever experiences it. According to travelnet since April 2011 I have flown 114 segments on mainline and DL connection carriers, not including the interline jumpseat travel I took before my household was a DL employee household -- not trying to get into a d*ck measuring contest, I just want you to know that I am not someone who doesn't know what I am talking about so please don't talk down to me as if I don't.
yeah you are trying to argue that your equipment is bigger - and it simply isn't and neither is your DL travel history larger than mine.

I'm glad you enjoy your Delta pass privileges... Í would strongly encourage you to be very careful about assuming that other people, paid customers or not, don't know DL service as well as you do.

And whether you spend more time on DL domestic flights or not doesn't change that I haven't had whatever level of frustration with DL's IFE system that you apparently have.

Maybe on domestic flights, it isn't that much of a priority - or I use the internet which is available on AAL DL 2 cabin domestic flights.

Neither does any of this change that DL is generating cash at a rate that is FAR in excess of what any other US airline - or much of any in the world is or can do based on their spending plans.

Thus, DL has the flexibility to do a lot of things other carriers simply cannot.

The industry is at a high point right now. Aircraft have 20 year life cycles - minimum.

The chances that DL's frugality with fleet spending will prove to be an enormous advantage compared to its competitors is fairly high.

And that is precisely the point. DL can be and is frugal with fleet replacement but is still a joy to fly. I am glad you enjoy your experiences on Delta.

Goes to show that the notion of spending a fortune on a fleet doesn't necessarily provide better service nor does it lead to the huge financial benefits that some claim.

The article that 700 linked specifically shows that the cost of operating aircraft that are a generation old can provide the same costs when you factor in the billions of dollars in interest costs that are saved (or lease payments depending on the type of deal).

And the fact that a US legacy airline is so far buying aircraft with the cash it generates and doesn't need to take on new debt hasn't happened in decades.

Wrong, read again. I said an airline that is a joy to fly does NOT frugality make.

To rephrase: Frugality does not make an airline that is a joy to fly. With second rate aircraft, a IFE system already two generations behind, and a huge narrow body replacement capital expenditure that will likely be made when interest rates are not as friendly as they are now. Whatever the benefits for Delta's bottom line, they are not benefitting Delta's passengers… and as I have told you, I can speak from a position of experience.

then you don't understand why DL defies what all of the know-it-alls, including you, seem to think.

DL ranks higher than its direct peers in customer service and DOT rankings and, as we have noted, is reducing debt, not taking more on.

You also can't seem to accept that DL still has more IFE on its fleet than any other airline.

To use Kevin's now immortal words (and I do love them), "get your dick off the table" and recognize there are people who can see the big picture far beyond your tiny little world which seems preoccupied with IFE.

since you think DL is frugal, perhaps you can tell us what other US airlines offer personal inseat IFE at every seat on its longhaul int'l fleet, provides hot towels and sleep kits to EVERY passenger on those same flights, as well as free alcohol of all types throughout the ENTIRE aircraft on longhaul services as well as direct aisle access for EVERY seat in business class on every widebody int'l aircraft - with the 757s in process.

Frugal means cutting unnecessary costs; cheap means taking away what matters.

DL is frugal, not cheap. DL's competitors look and are cheap in the service they offer by comparison.

DL upgraded the int'l product first and is turning its attention to the domestic market.

Since DL already receives 110% of the average fare of the industry on the domestic system, it would seem that DL is already generating the revenue that a high quality product should generate, and yet DL's overhaul of its domestic fleet.

DL still generates a premium to its peers on int'l flights but just over 100%.

Let's also remember that these domestic numbers include DL's buildup of LGA which continues to see revenue increases faster than the rest of the system.

DL's ability to generate revenue premiums on both the int'l and domestic systems is directly related to being able to fly where passengers want to fly at the times they want to fly and offer products that they are willing to pay a premium for.

When DL loses that advantage, get back with me and we can discuss what went wrong.

WT could you explain why DL is removing premium capacity from much of the long haul fleet? I get that they want to better align capacity with demand but they clearly aren't selling enough of the seats if they are removing them.

Josh