DL charges $2800 in bag fees to returning GIs

FrugalFlyerv2.0

Veteran
Oct 29, 2003
story link

U.S. soldiers returning from a deployment in Afghanistan said Delta Air Lines charged them $200 each for extra bags for their connecting flight from Baltimore to Atlanta.

He soon turns the camera on O’Hair to explain further. Interview style, they note that their orders authorize them to carry four bags, and talk of having to pay “out of pocket,” despite an existing contract between the airline and the government.

O’Hair said his fourth bag was a weapons case, which includes his M4 rifle, a grenade launcher and a 9mm pistol —

A Delta spokeswoman who only identifies herself on a company blog as Rachel R., further wrote:
“In the case of today’s situation, we would like to publicly apologize to those service men and women for any miscommunication regarding our current policies as well as any inconvenience we may have caused. We are currently looking further into the situation, and will be reaching out to each of them personally to address their concerns and work to correct any issues they have faced.”

"A $200 bill for extra baggage by a government-contracted airline is the worst welcome home any soldier could receive," Joe Davis, VFW spokesman, said in a statement. "We know this is a business issue and that the troops will be reimbursed if they are authorized additional baggage in their orders, but the shock of even being charged is enough to make most servicemen and women simply shake their heads and wonder who or what it is they are protecting."

Reactions: 1 person
there's no spin... I would be SHOCKED if this didn't turn out to be an error... the fact that the spokesperson acknowledged that they are investigating and will personally contact the soliders seems to indicate DL believes it probably was...
It is hard to understand how anyone working check-in for an airline doesn't realize there are different rules for service personnel.

Reactions: 2 people
there's no spin... I would be SHOCKED if this didn't turn out to be an error... the fact that the spokesperson acknowledged that they are investigating and will personally contact the soliders seems to indicate DL believes it probably was...
It is hard to understand how anyone working check-in for an airline doesn't realize there are different rules for service personnel.
So you're saying the GIs are lying?

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Delta-Increases-Free-Checked-prnews-3890190346.html?x=0&.v=1
DL has just changed their baggage policy for active military and personal military travel.
I'm not sure what other carriers allow or why for active military it isn't specified in the government contracts but DL is allowing more military baggage.

"I would be SHOCKED if this didn't turn out to be an error"

It is an error in common sense (as in lack of) and shows several things.
1) Delta continues to be a very sleezy company.
2) The only reason that this "error" was discovered and fixed is because a couple of those military folks posted a video on youtube. Without the bad PR, Delta wouldn't have changed it's policy. I wonder how many other military folks have been fleeced by delta?
3) Too bad the person that charged to baggage fees didn't have enough brains to see the PR train wreck that was about to happen.
4) Too bad front line employees don't have to ability to use common sense and have the power to take care of their customers.
5) Delta managed to remove what, $2800 from these people? How much will the bad PR cost them? I hope millions.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Delta-Increases-Free-Checked-prnews-3890190346.html?x=0&.v=1
DL has just changed their baggage policy for active military and personal military travel.
I'm not sure what other carriers allow or why for active military it isn't specified in the government contracts but DL is allowing more military baggage.
A day late and a buck short.
What kind of talent does DL employ in BWI? I know the MD pulic school system sucks especially in Baltimore, but common sense should tell you to handle this situation differently right from the start.

looks to me that DL's baggage policy for military personnel before the change was the same as AA's

Military Baggage
Active U.S. Military personnel are allowed to check three pieces of baggage free of charge.
Each checked bag in the free allowance may be up to 62 inches and weigh up to 50 lbs. The size limitation of your luggage is calculated by adding the total outside dimensions of each bag, that is, length + width + height.
Active U.S. Military personnel traveling on orders are allowed one bag in the free allowance up to 100 lbs. and 115 inches. The second and third bags are free of charge up to 50lbs. and 62 inches. Travel orders must be presented when checking the bag.
The 70 lb. maximum bag weight limit for Europe and Asia does not apply for U.S. military baggage if traveling on orders.
Military ID must be presented. Traveling in uniform is not required.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInformation/baggage/baggageAllowance.jsp

In general, Continental Airlines will accept up to two pieces of checked baggage with a maximum weight of 50 pounds (23 kg) per bag and a maximum outside dimension of 62 inches (157 cm) per bag in exchange for the applicable service fees. Outside dimension of a bag is equal to the width + height + depth of the bag added together. Certain customers are allowed to check three pieces of baggage. If your baggage needs require you to check additional baggage, or baggage that is over the listed size and weight, please review the Excess Baggage policy.

Certain customers are exempt from paying the fees and will be allowed to check bags free of charge (bags must meet weight and size restrictions). Learn more about exemptions from 1st and 2nd baggage fees.

Customers with a confirrmed seat assignment in BusinessFirst, First Class, Latin Business, or Business Class will be allowed to check up to 2 bags, with a maximum weight of 70 lbs.

The following customers are allowed to check up to 3 bags, with a maximum weight of 70 lbs.:

Star Gold members, including Continental Presidential Platinum, Platinum, and Gold Elite members
Active U.S. military personnel, whether or not or military orders
U.S. military dependents travelling with military personnel, and without military personnel when on military business.

http://www.continental.com/CMS/en-US/travel/Pages/BaggageChecked.aspx?SID=90951B08128743D4AADFAC80FA211492

and UA
U.S. military personnel (and/or their dependents) who are either active or traveling on leave in conjunction with a permanent change of station (military ID required) 3

and I quit counting since it is obvious that the FOOLS on here that are so quick to jump down someone's throat know ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about what they are talking about.
I presume their response will be that all of the employees of all these other carriers just ignore the baggage limits set by their management - for whomever they choose to do so.

Reactions: 4 people
What troubles me about these cases (including AA's missteps on the same issue a couple years ago) is that it appears that the airlines end up footing the bill to serve as cargo carriers of military materiel, and that's not right. Airlines deserve to be paid for moving grenade launchers, rifles, body armour and other military hardware in and out of war zones, and if soldiers have to pay some bag fees, they can seek reimbursement. Alternatively, perhaps airlines and the military need to work out a bag fee credit card system whereby each soldier can be issued a private label credit card (a military "corporate" card where the bill goes directly to the US government) that each soldier can use to pay for checked bag fees.

What troubles me about these cases (including AA's missteps on the same issue a couple years ago) is that it appears that the airlines end up footing the bill to serve as cargo carriers of military materiel, and that's not right. Airlines deserve to be paid for moving grenade launchers, rifles, body armour and other military hardware in and out of war zones, and if soldiers have to pay some bag fees, they can seek reimbursement. Alternatively, perhaps airlines and the military need to work out a bag fee credit card system whereby each soldier can be issued a private label credit card (a military "corporate" card where the bill goes directly to the US government) that each soldier can use to pay for checked bag fees.
Exactly.

precisely, FWAAA, once again demonstrates that he understands the real issues at stake.
There was no error on DL's part. Their agent apparently enforced the rules which DL had set.
And DL's baggage allowance was competitive with their network carrier peers at least, if not more carriers.
FWAAA is exactly right that the individual soldier is the one that has to deal with the baggage issue. The government should set baggage allowances with the airlines as part of the process of allowing airlines to publish military fares or be awarded government contracts.
What is clear is that the government expects airlines to carry tons of excess baggage just for the privilege of obtaining military business... but the airlines can't afford to tick off the government so the everyday passenger has to subsidize the increased costs the airlines pay for handling military business.
The only FOOLS are those who try to pin the blame on people without understanding the situation and not being able to admit they were wrong when the facts actually come out.
Thankfully there are people who frequent this forum who understand the business of avation, which is why I continue to participate. And then there are others who at least are smart enough not to comment on things on which they know nothing...

Flip.....

there's no spin... I would be SHOCKED if this didn't turn out to be an error...

Flop......

precisely, FWAAA, once again demonstrates that he understands the real issues at stake.
There was no error on DL's part. Their agent apparently enforced the rules which DL had set.
And DL's baggage allowance was competitive with their network carrier peers at least, if not more carriers.
The only FOOLS are those who try to pin the blame on people without understanding the situation and not being able to admit they were wrong when the facts actually come out.
Thankfully there are people who frequent this forum who understand the business of avation, which is why I continue to participate. And then there are others who at least are smart enough not to comment on things on which they know nothing...

First you say you'd be shocked it it wasn't an error. Then you say there was no error. And fools are trying to pin the blame and not being able to admit they were wrong.

Since you said this was an error at 11am, and by 4pm it wasn't an error, where's your admission you were wrong?...

Or maybe you shouldn't have commented on things with which you knew nothing?.......

Reactions: 4 people
well let's see, Eric.
There was indeed an error - and despite how you and others want to spin it, these nice soldiers decided to take it out on DL because their employer - the US Defense Department - either game them incorrect information or they did not know what in fact were the rules that existed.
And, further, the same rules that the DL agent exercised - who did indeed know that there were different limits for military personnel - were followed and indeed were the same baggage allowances that other network carriers have - and which DL subsequently increased even further.
So, yes, my statement was indeed correct.. there was an error - but it was a couple US soldiers who thought one way or the other that they were entitled to check 4 bags when in fact the limit was 3. Whether DL and the Defense Department had differences of opinion as to what was supposed to allowed or whether the confusion was with the individual soldier's understanding of those rules.
I would also expect that other airlines will be changing their baggage allowance - as typically happens in the airline industry.
You know, Eric, this thread harkens very much back to the case of the passenger from EVV (IIRC) whose DCI flight was diverted and who complained that DL was being unfair by not allowing him to reschedule his trip when he wanted to travel and for not giving him a full refund. Perhaps you remember the details... but you went on for pages arguing that DL had a policy which they should have applied to this situation but which they did not. After pages and pages, I believe we came to the conclusion that they might have a policy which they apply internally but which is not published and as such they cannot be expected to apply on demand from a passenger.
Bottom line is that you exhausted a huge amount of energy trying to convince everyone that you were right... and in the process, it also came out that you really resent the fact that you can't get the last word on every subject, and that you felt threatened that your status as a self-proclaimed expert with years of passenger service experience was challenged ("I wrote those policies when I worked for AA's headquarters and I consult to airlines around the world.").

Ever since then, you and I have been engaging in minor border scrimmages that at times break into full-scale war, including playing a childish game of + and - of posts (yours and mine) in an attempt to demonstrate that you have more credibility/reputation/whatever.
You didn't even bother to participate in this discussion until the dust was all settled and then you decided you would try to use it as yet another attempt to defame me.... but once again, you have added nothing to the discussion and you didn't even accurately assess what I wrote.
There are people on these forums like FWAAA and Commavia who know the business quite well and who strongly defend their points of view - which often are different from mine. Jim is a nice guy... he decided to jump into a discussion about strategy making points from his perspective...nothing wrong w/ that... but he also tried to turn into in a personal campaign and backed off when he couldn't make arguments to demonstrate his point.. and ulitmately resorted to name calling... but Jim is a decent person and he and I will discuss things rationally; I recognize he has alot of operational experience that I don't and he doesn't have the understanding of network and pricing that I do... and I suspect we will learn to once again coexist here quite peacefully.
But each of these people are completely different from you in that they don't take whatever happens here personally and they really can let someone else have their say - and then walk away if it becomes obvious that there is nothing to be gained from further discussions....
unlike you, FWAAA demonstrated maturity in recognizing the larger problem with the bag issue, and diffused those who wanted to turn this into a every fAAnboy against DL discussion.
FWAAA doesn't have a triple digit reputation scored which has been artificially inflated... but I and a whole lot of other people are far more inclined to respect that when he speaks, he knows what is talking about, and he has the maturity to not feel like he has to get the last word on every subject that is discussed (it is more than a little apaprent that you felt the need to post a response in each thread I participated in yesterday including informing all of us that AA's PSP is equivalent to DL Dash which is properly written in all caps since it is an acronym).
So, my suggestion to you, no really strong advise, Eric (edited) is that you let go of your personal and incessant desire for revenge and demonstrate a modicum of maturity and leadership instead of continuing to harp on the size of the hairs on a gnat, esp. if you can't even accurately measure them.
I'm terribly sorry if your self-worth is wrapped up in your need to be right which manifests itself in cutting other people down and speaking on topics which are unprepared and unqualified to speak on, only making you less qualified than you really are.
That said, Eric, you actually DO have knowledge and experience which could be quite useful if you could accept that what you do know is sufficient and that people will really respect you for what you do know.
Perhaps people will actually REALLY respect you for knowing something if you actually stick to what you do know, consider that it is possible for someone else to win without you losing (DL and AA COULD possibly both WIN as could E and WT) and don't try to turn every discussion into a personal fighting match....
if you learned those lessons, that would be a wonderful birthday present you could give me... and yourself too.

I'm as patriotic as they come but sometimes the actions of the grunts are embarassing. These soldiers would have been reimbursed, according to every news article I've seen. Even dim-bulb Ted Reed gets it:

http://www.thestreet.com/_yahoo/story/11148165/1/delta-flies-into-patriotic-morass.html?cm_ven=YAHOO&cm_cat=FREE&cm_ite=NA

In situations such as this, it seems senseless to attempt to consider reality. First of all, eventually, the $200 bag fees are going to come from the bloated Pentagon budget, because the Pentagon contracted with Delta to fly troops home. It is not the responsibility of individual soldiers to pay bag fees when they fly home from combat. We all know that.

Many people cannot wait for an opportunity to bust an airline or to post a comment somewhere -- anywhere -- to say how patriotic they are. Of course, this is totally disingenuous.

Nevertheless, AA just announced that soldiers may now check five heavy bags when they fly, on duty or for pleasure. Good grief.