DL cuts Caracas to 1X weekly

I have a feeling the airport is the least of their problems, robbed.

the gov't will try to force carriers to operate as long as possible but the funds that the airlines have collected are clearly being diverted elsewhere.

Venezuela has a shortage of even the basics.

E was accurate that Venezuela is headed to a very isolated government situation. He said N. Korea. Not sure if it is that dire yet because Venezuela doesn't have the political limitations that N. Korea has but Venezuela is apparently willing to cut off its economic right arm in order to justify its ideology.

the sad thing, as I am sure you are aware, is that there are many very innocent people affected who just want to be able to feed themselves and their family and provide a security and nurturing environment for their loved ones - all most of us want when it gets down to the brass tacks.

Whatever, WT. You're the one who tried to compare the advisory issued for a protest in Brasil to what's going on in Venezuela. We've just poked holes in that.

I have no idea what steps AA's taken to ensure their crew's security, and it would be entirely inappropriate to discuss it if I did. For all the money being held in the country, they may have hired a lot of private security to cover the time between announcing their cuts and implementing them.

The facts are that AA acted first, and took a more aggressive approach than DL did.

AA cut their schedules on two weeks notice, DL is doing it on three weeks notice.

AA decided not to leave airplanes on the ground, DL is deciding to overnight their crews on what looks like a 9 hours behind doors layover.

Not saying either one is correct, but they're clearly different approaches.

Reactions: 1 person
I don't really think two or three weeks really is going to matter, do you?

yes, AA took a different approach from DL but I am not at all sure it is related to security as much as the connectivity at the hub. AA acted first undoubtedly because it has a whole lot more at risk.... we have yet to see the financial impact of this but AA said they have $750 million at stake which I doubt if they will ever see anymore than DL or UA will see what they are owed.

honestly, IIRC, UA has a redeye from IAH w/ an a.m. return, DL has an evening dept. from ATL with an a.m. return, while AA has a midday turnaround. I have a feeling all 3 are driven by the hub dynamics more than anything.

I have a hard time believing that security played any role in the decision of how the flights were scheduled because if it did, none of the airlines would have had an overnighter at CCS from the day the State Dept. provided its advisory.

And, you can feel good that DL will have a token presence at CCS at best... 1/8 of the capacity that AA has. DL is essentially hanging it up with the slight hope they might get back in with more service later.

let's chalk Venezuela as a step back for the industry and hope that normality returns in the near future.

thank you for the respectful discussion. :)

Because most of the tickets they're selling are sold from and have a point of origin in the US...

Interesting that UA's pulldown isn't until after Labor Day.

Kev3188 said:
Contractual requirements, maybe??
I assume that United has the bulk of the oil traffic by connecting Houston to Caracas.   Those CITGO employees and other oil servicing firms probably do a lot of flying.   

Does Venezuela have an airline?   

Because most of the tickets they're selling are sold from and have a point of origin in the US...

Interesting that UA's pulldown isn't until after Labor Day.

Contractual requirements, maybe??
AA reduced their flying on 2 weeks notice while DL did it on 3 weeks.

In fact, DOT data for the most recently available quarter (4th quarter 2013) shows that all 3 US airlines were selling over 90% of their seats from CCS. Thousands of passengers in Venezuela were buying tickets to leave the country in part to buy products and exchange money but the money for the tickets is still tied up in Venezuela.

That number had increased from an average of the low 70s several years ago.

Further, up until the most recent quarters, AA has had the highest percentage of CCS originating traffic while DL has had the lowest with UA in the middle. That also explains why, combined with AA's size in Latin America, AA has the largest exposure to potential funds that cannot be repatriated.

meto,
remember that Venezuela's gov't has threatened any carrier that leaves that they might not ever be allowed to return. It might not matter so much for Air Canada or some of the European carriers but it is significant for the US carriers.

although the venezuela govt can threaten the airlines, they are really gonna shoot themselves in the foot sort of speak   it sure sounds like theyre becoming the next North korea