DL MD-80 engine catches fire at LGA, one ramp worker injured

FWAAA

Veteran
Jan 5, 2003
On Friday, June13, a Delta MD-80 suffered an engine fire at the gate after arriving at LGA from MCO;   media reports one DL "ramp worker" injured in responding to the fire.   Passengers had deplaned and no passengers were injured.   Port Authority firefighters responded and extinguished the fire. "Betsy Talton with Atlanta-based Delta says the worker is doing well."   Keep the DL employee in your thoughts.   

http://7online.com/news/1-hurt-when-plane-catches-fire-at-laguardia-/113723/

indeed... glad no one was hurt worse.

delta.com shows it was an M90 and it appears that it is from this pic.

I would like to hear from Kev what DL's procedures are for ramp personnel in the event of an aircraft fire at the gate.

you are correct Wt it was an MD-90   those engines and that extra slab on the top of the tail are unique feature of the MD-90.   What i find intresting is that the fire occured after all 120 pax got off  something does not seem to add up there unless the pilots were on board and or one engine was running or something

Well, like the time that the cleaners at ORD found a dead body in the lav on an AA 777 that had come in from PVG, and all the passengers and crew had left the airplane. Some things just happen. We have to accept them as mysteries. :lol:

I still want to hear from Kev... or perhaps you can weigh in robbed on US procedures but I would wonder if the APU was running or there was an oil leak or some other reason that was conducive to a fire.

work issues might not matter much in light of the World Cup which for now is favoring the Latins plus the lucky Orange.

normal procedures in case of fire would be to help pax n crew escape (if at gate)  and call fire dept if it has not already been notified.   and move as far away as possible.   its possible the APU could have been the one on fire rather than the engine itself

Most AA gates have a large red fire extinguisher (on a cart with huge oversized wheels);   I've always assumed that it's there for ramp personnel to attempt to extinguish a small blaze if possible given that fires can grow very large in a hurry - even before the airport firefighters could arrive.   

From my time on the ramp and in maintenance we were all trained on the Ansul Fire Extinguisher and were shown how to fight an engine, brake and APU fire.

110-040-AX03.jpg

I used one to put put a tug fire. Never had to fight an aircraft fire. I did call the FD on a DC-10 APU fire at DTW on my concourse. We tried to use the APU fire controls from in the cockpit first. That is what we were trained to do with a cowl closed. Cowl open, I would call the FD, then try the FE until the equipment arrived.

What a mess to clean up after the water cannon.

The images I'm remembering have even bigger wheels:

022520-RED-LINE-Wheeled-CR-LR-I-K-150-C.jpg

or maybe like this one:

Brooks_Equipment_Catalog_Page_014_Image_0001.jpg

A bazillion years ago, I watched a UA crew put out an engine fire on a Olympic 747 that had just parked on the ORD hard stand (before T5). They used up two of the rolling bottles until the Chicago FD arrived.

FWAAA said:
The images I'm remembering have even bigger wheels:

022520-RED-LINE-Wheeled-CR-LR-I-K-150-C.jpg

or maybe like this one:

Brooks_Equipment_Catalog_Page_014_Image_0001.jpg
That's the one. I emptied that unit on the wide body tug. Put out the fire. Tug was out of service for a few weeks for overhaul and paintjob. Asiana was very happy since the tug on fire was connected to their 747-400 at the gate.

Reactions: 1 person