DL TechOps to Layoff More

DalMD88

Senior
Aug 20, 2002
ATL
Visit site
The other shoe has finally dropped. On 1/23 we were told about the TechOps plan. Eight maintenance outstations to close;DFW,ORD,SAN,PHL,PHX,PDX,PBI,and EWR. Other line stations, including CVG and SLC will get headcount reductions. Four GSE stations will be outsourced.
DTNC hangar in ATL to be given back to the city with all work and personel going back to main TOC. The heavy PSV checks, longer than five days, coming due and many of the mods upcoming will be outsourced. This includes 767-300/400 domestic to international and Biz elite upgrades. Song, the current cabin upgrades and upcoming 737 shuttle config to mainline changes will stay in house.

Relocation money will only be provided to displaced workers transfering to the Northeast stations and SFO.

In the end 800 to 1000 TechOps employees in scale and salary positions will no longer be at DL.

I almost forgot. DL TechOps is positioning to be a feared player in the MRO marketplace. That comes from our leader, not me. Ofcourse we are only going to be feared in the short term visit catagory. If the work takes longer than five days we want nothing to do with it.

I'm sorry as well....That should make the dismantling of PDX almost complete. :angry:

With all the closings, what stations (both A/C mtx and GSE) will be left? Also, what's the DTNC hangar?

DTNC or Delta North as we call it is the former Eastern hangar on the northside of the ATL airport. It is next to the new Airtran hangar. They come under the Line Maintenance managment umbrella and do mostly short term work like engine swaps and some service check work.

As for remaining domestic line stations I think the list is;Bos,Bdl,Lga,Jfk,Dca,Atl,Tpa,Mco,Fll,Cvg,Slc,Den,Lax,Sfo,Sea,Hnl. I'm not sure at all about GSE.

DL will still have hangar operations in ATL. That has been the case since we closed the DFW and TPA hangar ops a year ago. We do still have some hangars at line stations. I know we have them at BOS, LAX, CVG, SLC, and we still have the lease on the TPA facility.