DL to suspend SEA-HND Flights

Status
Not open for further replies.
and yet DL has more capacity from LAX than pre-merger AA does as of this summer, DL has started or will start two major long-haul routes from LAX (LHR and PVG) that AA and UA both serve, DL has an average fare advantage over AA from LAX - EVEN CONSIDERING THAT ONE OF DL'S BIGGEST GROWTH MARKETS AT LAX HAS BEEN SEA-LAX WHERE AVERAGE FARES HAVE DROPPED along with other markets in the west.

You and the AA fan club have been hoping that DL would run out of gates at LAX and yet DL keeps growing and more importantly demonstrating better revenue performance at LAX than AA.

and whether AA loses the SEA-HND route or not, AA will serve every long haul route from LAX that AA does and then some - whether AA gets a HND flight or not.

and given that DL has the most codeshares at PVG of any of the 3 airlines and also won't subject its passengers to 10 abreast coach seating on a 777, there is a real good chances that DL could overtake AA in the LAX-PVG market within a couple quarters at best - despite AA's multi-year head start.

On a related note, roughly concurrent with Delta's (at least presently planned) resumption of SEA-HND on 3/29, Delta has also now revised operational aircraft on SEA-NRT through the spring (again, at least as presently planned) so both flights will now operate with 767s.

LDVAviation said:
On that note, there is no world class university in Atlanta
Arguably, I'd say Emery is considered world-class. It isn't on the scale of Stanford, Univ of Chicago or Harvard. And it's hardly affordable for the average Georgian. But it is a recognized name in medical research, presumably because it's close to the CDC and DL...

commavia said:
On a related note, roughly concurrent with Delta's (at least presently planned) resumption of SEA-HND on 3/29, Delta has also now revised operational aircraft on SEA-NRT through the spring (again, at least as presently planned) so both flights will now operate with 767s.
Downgauging to the smallest possible aircraft for the mission, and yet we are to believe that SEA deserves 25% of the slot allocations?

eolesen said:
Downgauging to the smallest possible aircraft for the mission, and yet we are to believe that SEA deserves 25% of the slot allocations?

Indeed.  What I think this clearly illustrates - as if we didn't already know it - is that SEA simply does not need that much capacity to TYO, especially given all the growth in recent years (from Delta, and other carriers) in nonstop capacity between SEA and Asia.

There is no size requirement on any of DL's NRT flights and DL said it would operate SEA-HND with a 767 and that is what it has done.

LAX will not get a third HND flight regardless of what kind of market exists at SEA or not.

Awwww....poor World Traveller. Still thinks "pre merger AA" is a thing despite significant cross fleeting at LAX.

So sad, but hysterical. 

Meanwhile in Delta-land, Delta has been forced to suspend sales of tickets for now on LAX-PVG by the Chinese government. Flights now removed from GDS and OAG while approvals are worked out. 

If DL is going to serve LAX-PVG, a few approvals aren't going to make a difference in the long run.

MAH4546 said:
Meanwhile in Delta-land, Delta has been forced to suspend sales of tickets for now on LAX-PVG by the Chinese government. Flights now removed from GDS and OAG while approvals are worked out. 

Guess driving AA off the route may have to wait a few months ... guess Delta will just have to bankrupt JAL, "win" in "N. Texas," and take over MIA in the meantime.

AA will decide for themselves how much they are willing to spend to subsidize the route.

They are spending hundreds of millions of dollars per year on their Asian operation right now so I doubt if they will wave the white flag very soon.

AA's ability to continue to sustain losses in highly competitive Asia flights is dependent on how well it can defend its core money-making operations at DFW, MIA, DCA, and LHR. and of course for the price of oil to stay low.

If oil starts a big trek back up, AA is in deep doo doo. and since the Texas and N. Dakota economy will hurt if oil doesn't go back up, oil producers might well decide it is better to sit it out for a couple months and let prices go up than to keep pumping at present prices.

in a few more months we'll see how well WN is really doing in taking market share from AA in N. Texas. Given that AA execs acknowledged they underestimated the impact of the competitive environment and WN is chomping at the bit to expand DAL (and likely will succeed at doing it), the chances are really high that WN will end up with equal shares and revenue to AA in the local markets of the long haul domestic cities that have been added - which is exactly what has happened in MCI, STL, and other markets which WN was able to fly from DAL before Oct 2014.

And WN's expansion in Latin America is just getting started and then we have the great competitive int'l buildout of MIA that is coming as well.

subsidizing the Pacific will get a lot harder, esp. at labor rates that are now industry standard.

commavia said:
 The yen sucks, not a big shocker. 

LDVAviation said:
Holier than thou?  Was the fiction that there are current plans for a Terminal 9 at LAX a fact?  Was the fiction that LAWA would have to make a deal with Delta to build Terminal 9 a fact?  Those were your facts.  Why if you are so interested in the facts and not a "pissing contest" did you make up facts which make Delta's situation at LAX seem better?
I don't believe I said anything about LAWA building T9 for Delta. I said that, at point point, LAWA did have plans for a T9. It is completely possible they could go back to that. 

Its also completely possible they will just expand TBIT till they reach the ocean before they look at a T9 or a T0 for that matter. 

LDVAviation said:
I only post something when you Delta fanboys fabricate facts about things I know.  (On that note, there is no world class university in Atlanta.)
Hey WT, repeating stupid s**t doesn't make it right. Emory is a top 25 in the US University. Tech is also in the top 35 of University's. 
Whatever top University you went to must not be to hot on teaching the ability to be objective. 

Amazing, A Georgia grad with three degrees is having to explain to someone(who I guess can't figure out Google) how good of a school Tech and Emory are. 

Ugh I'm going to go lay down in traffic now. 

Being in the top 25 in the US doesn't make for a world class institution. Being in the top 10? Maybe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back