DL's CFO leaves to become CFO at General Motors

eolesen

Veteran
Jul 23, 2003
https://www.freep.com/story/money/c...elta-paul-jacobson-general-motors/6085448002/
The man whom Delta Airlines credits for guiding it through crisis as the coronavirus pandemic swept the nation will become General Motors' new chief financial officer.

GM said Friday it has hired Paul Jacobson, 48, as executive vice president and CFO effective Dec. 1.

Bastian credited Jacobson in "developing and leading the strategy that regained our investment-grade balance sheet as we rose from the difficult years after Sept. 11, 2001," the day terrorists flew commercial airplanes into the World Trade Center in New York and the Pentagon in Washington, D.C.

Did I read that correctly? He was gonna leave Delta, Bastain talked him out of leaving and even wrote a memo that he was staying, but yet, Jacobson later still left Delta to take new roll at GM as VP and CFO? Interesting indeed. Hope he made out like a bandit at both companies, smart man right there.

Yep, that's correct.

It seems like 10 years ago now, but I think his retirement was actually announced (memo to all of us, etc.), only to have him wind up staying to help during the crisis.

DL has done a lot of virtual Town Halls over the last 7 months, and he's been in many of them. He comes off as personable, and does a great job of explaining financial matters w/o talking down to anyone. I wish he'd stayed.

Yep, that's correct.

It seems like 10 years ago now, but I think his retirement was actually announced (memo to all of us, etc.), only to have him wind up staying to help during the crisis.

DL has done a lot of virtual Town Halls over the last 7 months, and he's been in many of them. He comes off as personable, and does a great job of explaining financial matters w/o talking down to anyone. I wish he'd stayed.

It sounds to me that he wanted a change and wanted to go to GM at a time that GM wants the electric cars to take off. It is also very possible that GM paid a pretty penny to get him away from Delta as well, and more than likely a great contract in case GM goes down again.
Delta just let a good employee go, wonder why? Yes, Kev., he was well liked by all.