Doug Parker: Expect TSA to Become Carry-On Police

What, and get written up for taking a delay, or being "rude"?

Even with the allowed carry-on limit, a full flight, you'll still be checking jetway bags.
Unless you act on the absurdity of the management policy, they will never change. Why would you deny the only way for a corporation to realize they are wrong, short of bankruptcy?

Well this is being thrown on flight attendants in the cabin who are then asked, "ok to close, ok to close, ok to close". No I'm NOT ready to close. Damn it....the bags don't come on the plane period. If it's not consolidated in the boarding area they will do it on the jetway. F/a's working the back or the C should not have to work miracles for those few pesky passengers and their titanic trunks. Sorry, it's ONE bag and ONE personal item. Capiche?

A portion of the blame must go to the soft-sided baggage makers. If a bag meets the letter of the rules, it's prominently label MEETS CARRY-ON REQUIREMENTS. I was in CostCo a couple of days ago and they had a small rolling duffle on sale which claimed to be carry-on size. However, the manufacturer was obviously using the linear dimension limit - it was about 22" long, but basically square in the other dimensions at just under 12" H & W. Probably exactly 43" L+H+W. Being ballistic fabric with no frame except for the side with the handle and wheels, it would swell if even full and probably be a tight fit (if it fit at all) putting it in the OHB. Stuff it full and there's no way it'd fit in the narrow body OHB's since it's probably be 14-15" high no matter which way you turned it.

People buy these bags then stuff them so much they can barely zip them closed, including any outside pockets (I flinch every time I see my wife's bag even for a weekend trip). Then they complain because they won't fit and have to be checked.

Jim

You know at first I thought the "Killer B's" Over at Spirit had lost their collective minds when they began charging for carry on bags at a higher fee than checked bags. After this thread I'm not to sure they aren't correct.

When did counting bags become a security function?

Staff the gates properly to get the excess carry-ons to the cargo bins.

Limiting bags to be screened leads to better TSA results. TSA needs to send them back to the counter with extras and over sized.

Reactions: 1 person
The TSA person that matches ID's and boarding pass just before accrual screening has to enforces the carry on baggage policy by sending violators back to their airline ticket counter

The Trained Document Checkers are some of the biggest TSA idiots out there. Today I heard about another one that declined to accept a NEXUS card and Canadian drivers license, but they accepted a Costco card. I even saw "Costco" scribbled on the BP. :blink:

The TSA should stick to one thing - screening bags and people for weapons, explosives, and incendiaries. The reason their Red Team test failure rates are off the charts is because they get distracted by security theatre like the Behavior Detection junk science that no law enforcement agency would touch with a ten foot pole.

Reactions: 2 people
There use to be sizer boxes outside of security in CLT, I cant seem to remember what airport, might have been ORD or LAX that had plexiglass in front of the x-ray machines and the cutout only let bags that would fit in the overhead through.

There use to be sizer boxes outside of security in CLT, I cant seem to remember what airport, might have been ORD or LAX that had plexiglass in front of the x-ray machines and the cutout only let bags that would fit in the overhead through.

LAX had them in pre TSA days at the behest of Southwest, which oversaw the checkpoint as primary carrier in T-1.

I thought it was LAX. Its such a shame I remember flying on full 767s between CLT and LAX, bad US management killed the west coast. The Chipwhich sandwiches before landing, yummy!

Latest posts