Doug Parker to meet with NPC and Charlotte Observer

Many confuse the bankruptcy process with the free market. Hostile takeovers in BK court are rare and the reason is because the shareholders are usually wiped out and have little to no say in the matter whereas outside of BK court, the shareholders get to vote on the bid. It's a lot easier for the management in BK to cut a deal with the creditors and also use the BK rules to fend off a bid which the management considers to be hostile. My guess is that Horton succeeds in emerging solo, but that's hardly a long term success for the AMR employees. LCC has a lot more staying power as a solo than does AMR. Just look at the 2nd quarter and that tells the whole story. It looks like AMR is following the same path as the legacy US Airways did in going into BK1 and not making the structural changes necessary to be viable once emerging, and then finding themselves right back in BK court. By that time Horton will be gone with his hundreds of millions and another Lakefield type will come in to do what should have been done in BK1 which is merge with LCC.
Can't Parker make a deal with the stockholders after the excusivity period and before emergence from BK?

Can't Parker make a deal with the stockholders after the excusivity period and before emergence from BK?
That assumes that AA management fails to come up with a viable plan of reorganization before the exclusivity period ends. Horton will probably have a POR by the end of the year, before the expiration of the exclusivity period.

BTW, nobody will be making deals with AA stockholders - the deals will be with the only group that gets to vote on POR, and that's the Unsecured Creditors.

I must ask why is it taking Horton & Co. so long to come up with a plan? Do they really even have one, or are they just stalling? Do all of you folks at AA really want to get "Jammed-up" with his 6 year BK contracts? I don't think anyone at US would have chosen that path had they had a better option.

UAL was in chapter 11 forever, its normal not to release a POR until most negotiations are done with creditors, leaseholders, vendors and labor.

Here's what Ted Reed said about Parker's presentation at the NPC:

As for real US Airways, the principal event of its week was Parker’s widely anticipated appearance before the National Press Club. The expectation was that the personable CEO would charm the national press corps as he laid out the reasons why a merger would help both American and US Airways. But the event seemed to be a bit of a letdown, as a moderator read a series of questions – many unrelated to the merger – from note cards. If Parker wanted to show that he can be an effective national spokesman for the airline industry, he clearly did so, but he didn’t break much ground in the merger effort.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/tedreed/2012/07/20/a-good-week-for-amr-as-it-battles-us-airways-merger-bid/?partner=yahootix

D'Oh! When Ted Reed isn't impressed, you've had a bad week.

Your job at AA is at risk with a merger, isn't it? Sorry. Your snide condescension gives it away.
Stick to the topic, Sport, and the topic is not me.

I do not work for any subsidiary of AMR.

Latest posts