Economic Impact Of The Failure Of Us Airways

funguy2

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
Mike Boyd has some interesting comments about the economic impact of the failure of US Airways at his website:

The Boyd Group: Aviation Hot Flash

While Boyd is quick to point out that US Airways failure is "by no means a certainty, and that the carrier has made progress in its re-organization efforts," he has some pretty interesting insights to the impact on different types of communities, and the bigger picture should US Airways not make it.

I was a bit surprised to read his view that the Shuttle has limited value in that he believes it is used to enhance brand loyalty rather than to be independently profitable.

His viewpoint that the failure of US Airways will not "fix" the industry is one to which I subscribe, somewhat. I think there would be short term benefits as the industry sorts out what is valuable, what isn't, what to replace, and what not to replace. But, as the remaining carriers grow into the hypothetically failed US Airways former markets, the potential is there to quickly "re-create" the excess capacity redcued immidiatly following a failure. In other words, US Airways' failure's effect on the industry is a "quick fix" which will only last until the remaining carriers collectively decided to replace it, like with new deliveries for LCC's and Legacies recalling people and aircraft to go into former US Airways markets.

Note: Boyd is not an "informed" source according to USA320Pilot. Since he has admitted US Airways had made progress, I am sure USA320Pilot will post or point out that quote anyway.

Well, to just speak to the one point he makes about the Shuttle, I would agree that the LGA-BOS and LGA-DCA Shuttles are probably no longer the profit centers they once were. With Amtrak's Acela service offering an extremely competitive alternative time- and comfort-wise at $99 each way, city-center to city-center, the Shuttles simply can't get the premium traffic they did before 9/11. Both Delta and US Airways have downgauged their Shuttle aircraft, and US Airways' flights are now operated by regular mainline planes. That said, I'd imagine that BOS-DCA still does pretty well given that there's no direct competition and since Boston-Washington on the train isn't as attractive an option.

sfb:

Yeah, I do not discount that view, but it seems really narrow...

If I wanted to start an airline today, the one "reasonable" way to do that would be to buy the shuttle slots and airport facilities, get some aircraft from the used market (or US Airways) and then stop flying the shuttle, but rather use those slots/terminals/aircraft to operate large O&D markets. Under that scenario, I can see the shuttle being very valuable to someone like Branson or jetBlue or maybe even someone else who views it as more than LGA-BOS, LGA-DCA, DCA-BOS.

i remember when Eastern was on the brink of going down, and all the other airlines were anxiously awaiting their demise. Everyone thought that with all the potential new revenue, that all the other airlines would thrive, didn't happen. I agree, just becauase Usairways goes away does not guarantee a healthy industry (sorry all you OA's salivating in the wings).