Eng Crash On Camera

Very very lucky to get out of that one alive. Bet you they have a hell of a headache.

By the way werent they the same operation that crashed the EC135 in NY some time ago.

Heli Ops

Since I don't have a sound card on this work computer, I really don't know what anyone is saying. The footage is something though.
Anything said on the newsclips for the cause?
I see the tailrotor is still spinning, and he really seems to have control problems.

Pay your quarter, and jump on the ride from Hell. Too bad the brick wall was there, it kind of cut short his further attempts to save it.

On CTV this morning the headline was 'Helicopter Makes Emergency Landing' as it was referring to the crash. Three very lucky people.

The control problems appear to be more complex than a loss of anti-torque. We're thinking here that this could be the dreaded hydraulic failure, given the gyrations and what appear to be near recoveries. Thank God they all got out.

I noticed though he was only turning left....could he have had a jammed pedal? Everything looked controllable until he slowed down.

And if it was a hydraulic failure, wouldn't his best bet be a run-on at an airport? Looked like he was heading for an intersection. The high rate of descent indicated he wanted on the ground...fast.

I guess though, none of us were in his seat...(and none of would want to be either)

No argument, Mag. All of the turning to the left could be either jammed left pedal or LTE. The gyrations are not inconsistent with the spatial disorientation that can accompany associated turning. However, the turning isn't too drastic, which could point to some other loss of control, possibly hydraulics.

I attend to agree with downwash on the controllability of the aircraft. LTE, jammed pedal of sort, or hydraulic loss with little or no airspeed. Time should tell.

From Pitchlink's link you can tell the a/c had an emergency inflight well before the hover. Thus ruling out LTE. All turns left indicate what the pilot related to witness that he had a t/r problem. Looks as though he did a good job at trying to put the bird down on top of building rather than busy street. I couldn't tell if t/r was turning but even if it was and the aircraft had jammed left pedal is as hard if not harder to control then loss of drive.

Also, inconsistant gyrations are consistant with input from collective and cyclic in an attempt to slow down rate of turn, looks to me like t/r problem.

sc

The helicopter pilot had reported a "tail rotor failure" to air traffic controllers at Kennedy International Airport moments before the 6:21 p.m. crash, according to Jim Peters, a Federal Aviation Administration spokesman.

Skullcap,

I don't mean to make fun of this situation, (or you), but I think the brick wall had alot more to do with choosing the landing site, than the pilot did.

Can you imagine, the aircraft spinning and your eyes focusing on the new targeted direction, to only have a brick wall in your way. At least you know at that point, the spinning is going to stop rather quick. :shock:

Latest posts